Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Faith
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:05 am 
Master
Master

Need to give a talk on the subject. I need suggestions. I've looked through Scripture, the Catechism, and the Summa. I want to start the talk off with a story. Any suggestions? It's such a broad subject that I have no idea what to do. I definately want to do a little catechisis by going over the Apostle's Creed and/or Aquina's 2 points (Trinity and humanity of Christ). But I also want to talk more generally about faith. What it is and it's practical applications.
The target audience is teens. If you had 15 minutes to tell teens about faith, what is it that you would want them to go away with? I need all the help I can get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:50 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Religion: Catholic
Well I think that many teens/young adults think that faith is something totally subjective and it's just something that you really want to believe whether there is a reason for it or not. You may want to combat this first or else you may be talking about something that is totally different than what they mean by faith.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject: Re: Faith
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:11 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: KoC
ye110man wrote:
Need to give a talk on the subject. I need suggestions. I've looked through Scripture, the Catechism, and the Summa. I want to start the talk off with a story. Any suggestions?

How about the story where Jesus heals the Centurion's servant? [bible]Matthew 8:5-13[/bible] In particular, verses 8-9.

More closer to their own understanding... A manager at a company has other people within the company to whom he may delegate tasks. For an effective manager, once the task is given, he lets the person go off and take care of it, not hovering over their shoulder 24-7. He knows (ie, he has faith) that his delegate will take care of the job.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:21 am 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
I always give the example of placing a chair in the middle of the room. I ask who "believes" the chair is there and that it will support them if they sit in it. Most people raise their hands... Now I ask who has FAITH that the chair is there and that it will support them? The answer is the one that goes over and sits on it.

Placing your WHOLE self, body mind and spirit, into the promises of God is what constitutes real faith. Holding one of those back shows that you really do not trust God, and therefore are lacking in faith...

We can believe with our minds, like the demons...
We can believe with our bodies, like Peter walking on the water...
We can believe with our souls, like the rich man who approached Jesus...

But, in each of these examples the other 2 were missing, and the faith was really lacking...

FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:53 am 
I would tell them that faith isn't simply believing and especially faith isn't blind. Faith hasn't conjured a bunch of stuff it believes contrary to all the evidence.

Faith isn't a belief in a philosophy of life but in the Person of Jesus Christ. Faith states that God, who is truth in himself, said it, I believe it, that settles it. The reason we have faith is that God, who can't lie, told us. We can abandon our lives to what God proclaims. Faith is primarily trust of God - that He is who he says he is, sent who he says he sent, became who he claims to, loves us as much as he has shown us, and will bring us to him in the end (if we keep our end of the bargain :)).

Quote:
"Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way where I am going." John 14:1-4

In addition, I typically speak about the nature of God and the reality of objective truth. Faith has been long portrayed as a vain hope - belief in the Tooth Fairy kind of thing. I try to get them see that faith is rooted in reason, doesn't reject reason, and, in fact, is a higher form of knowledge than reason.

Hope this helps!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:29 am 
Master
Master

Here's a nifty quote you may want to include in your talk:

"Faith is believing what you do not see. The reward of faith is seeing what you believe." - St Augustine.

Novus Ordo [strike]Mundi[/strike].
New [strike]World[/strike] Order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:07 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Kenny wrote:
Here's a nifty quote you may want to include in your talk:

"Faith is believing what you do not see. The reward of faith is seeing what you believe." - St Augustine.

This quote by St. Augustine is perfect because once you believe in God, Saints, Angels you then will eventually see them because you believed. Faith also I think is a Divine Gift that makes us touch our soul and know things we couldn't possibly know even if we can't explain it. For example, I know the Holy Trinity and can explain it very well, however I can never break past the complete mystery of the Trinity, however my own soul knows the Holy Trinity as He is meant to be known. So our Faith is like God's Divinity in us even though we can't explain what we truly know through our belief.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:13 pm 
Master
Master

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Scripture says that faith is a gift. The Catechism says that faith is man's response to God. How do you reconcile those 2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:47 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Well the Catechism is trying to explain that we must accept our faith and the scripture is trying to point out that we can only receive faith from God. So we receive faith from God, but we can either accept it or turn from it. It's also a gift from God to keep the faith even after you respond to God, because without Him in everything we do, we get nowhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:08 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: KoC
ye110man wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Scripture says that faith is a gift. The Catechism says that faith is man's response to God. How do you reconcile those 2?

The ability to respond to God is a gift from God. Sounds good to me.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:45 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

You can not live your faith if you do not know it and you cannot share with others what you do not first make your own. Your faith is a public thing. It is not meant to be behind closed doors. Being public with your faith does have risks, you could lose some friends, be an outsider, but remember our Lord's words "Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven". Spreading your faith is a task for all Catholics. Just before the Ascension, Jesus told his apostles, "Go, therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you". If we want to observe all that Jesus commanded, if we want to believe all he taught, we must follow him through his Church.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:49 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Fiat wrote:
You can not live your faith if you do not know it and you cannot share with others what you do not first make your own. Your faith is a public thing. It is not meant to be behind closed doors. Being public with your faith does have risks, you could lose some friends, be an outsider, but remember our Lord's words "Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven". Spreading your faith is a task for all Catholics. Just before the Ascension, Jesus told his apostles, "Go, therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you". If we want to observe all that Jesus commanded, if we want to believe all he taught, we must follow him through his Church.

Thats a great answer, can't beat it and can't add to it. Great job.