Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Colossians 1:24???
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:32 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I'm wondering how this verse is meant to be interpreted, because it seems strange.

The NAB says:
"Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lackign in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body which is the church."

But the NIV says:
"Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church."

Other translations seem to be more like the NAB...like, here's the CEV:
"I am glad that I can suffer for you. I am pleased also that in my own body I can continue the suffering of Christ for his body, the church. "

Or the NLT:
"24I am glad when I suffer for you in my body, for I am completing what remains of Christ's sufferings for his body, the church. "

I'm not sure what to make of this verse. My husband just said "that really doesn't sound right". Is it like, uniting our sufferings to the suffering of Christ? I'm not sure. (I just know the NIV translation is goofy, again.)

PS.
Just had to add this for fun... Check out "the Message" translation of the same verse - it's barely even recognizable.
"24I want you to know how glad I am that it's me sitting here in this jail and not you. There's a lot of suffering to be entered into in this world--the kind of suffering Christ takes on. I welcome the chance to take my share in the church's part of that suffering. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:44 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

The point is that Christ offered a perpetual sacrifice of His Body for our behalf. We suffer due to sin like Christ did and since we are united in His Mystical Body through the ministry of His Church which is His Mystical Body, we offer our suffering on His behalf uniting our sufferings to His for the forgiveness of sins. These are spiritual sacrifices to plead for God's mercy on behalf of others and for the cleansing of our own souls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:53 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Saint Rob the Archangel wrote:
The point is that Christ offered a perpetual sacrifice of His Body for our behalf. We suffer due to sin like Christ did and since we are united in His Mystical Body through the ministry of His Church which is His Mystical Body, we offer our suffering on His behalf uniting our sufferings to His for the forgiveness of sins. These are spiritual sacrifices to plead for God's mercy on behalf of others and for the cleansing of our own souls.

Thank you. That's basically what I was thinking... uniting our sufferings with Christ.
My husband was really thrown off by this as a former Protestant brought up to believe you can't do that... :wink:
Which, I assume, is why the NIV translates it completely differently...

Post subject: Re: Colossians 1:24???
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:04 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Kates wrote:
I'm not sure what to make of this verse. My husband just said "that really doesn't sound right". Is it like, uniting our sufferings to the suffering of Christ? I'm not sure. (I just know the NIV translation is goofy, again.)

What SR the A said. :yes:

When we suffer, we can choose to unite our suffering with Christ's and bear it with patience.

So imagine you're having one of those days where everything goes wrong. You could choose to say, "Why is this happening to me? I don't deserve this!" It would be a natural response. You could also see in your suffering a parallel to Christ's suffering, and you can offer it up to Him for His glory.

When I'm faced with these options, I have to think, "Is this experience worse than being betrayed by your closest friends, castigated for speaking the Truth, beaten to a bloody pulp, paraded in shame in front of hundreds of your followers, and hung naked on a cross like a common criminal in front of your mother?"

Puts it all into perspective for me.

I whine now and then about whatever I'm suffering through, but in comparison, it pales.

Bill
http://theocoid.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:42 am 
Citizen
Citizen

I wonder if most of us would continue on if we had the "afflictions" paul and other early followers of "the Way" had suffered?

1 cor 15:57
But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:43 am 

Religion: Catholic
In addition to being called to suffer individually, the Church as the Body of Christ is also called to suffer, collectively.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:36 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

mark malone wrote:
I wonder if most of us would continue on if we had the "afflictions" paul and other early followers of "the Way" had suffered?

I beg God to allow me to suffer so that souls may be saved. I cause inflictions upon myself like the Saints and beg God for Mystical Sufferings like the Saints and Martyrs went through. I try to be like Saint Francis of Assisi and Saint Padre Pio. I love to suffer because I know it will helps others and thats what keeps my spirit up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:38 am 
Citizen
Citizen

put ourselves on tv- or a moslem web site for a public beheading...

will we proclaim Jesus Christ to the "bitter" end, or plead for our life for our family to see?

1 cor 15:57
But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:19 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
mark malone wrote:
put ourselves on tv- or a moslem web site for a public beheading...

will we proclaim Jesus Christ to the "bitter" end, or plead for our life for our family to see?

One thing is for sure: If you proclaim Jesus Christ to the bitter end, you will never make onto Muslim TV or web-sites.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.