Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: This is just wrong, I think
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:10 pm 
Master
Master

http://www.livingweb.com/lectionary/abc/09/

I think it's great that someone is trying to use the lectionary as a Scripture study tool. However, it looks to me like every single secondary source included here is a protestant source. Not right, imho.

:soap: :soap: :soap:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:18 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Yeah, they all look Protestant to me, too....hmmmmmmm

Who is in charge of this website? Who created it, who maintains it, etc?

Interesting

Rachel

Post subject: Re: This is just wrong, I think
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:05 pm 
Deceased

pfairban wrote:
http://www.livingweb.com/lectionary/abc/09/

I think it's great that someone is trying to use the lectionary as a Scripture study tool. However, it looks to me like every single secondary source included here is a protestant source. Not right, imho.

:soap: :soap: :soap:

After the Roman Catholic liturgical changes post-Vatican II, a number of Protestant churches, especially the more "liturgical" ones, also adopted a three-year Lectionary cycle, quite similar to the RC one. Even a Baptist church here in Roslindale uses a Lectionary! One difference was that usually there were alternate options to replace readings from the deuterocanonical books.

In addition to the individual denominations' versions, there was also a so-called COMMON LECTIONARY put out by the CCT (Consultation on Common Texts) and even a REVISED COMMON LECTIONARY, based on a number of years of experience.

The pastor of my church and one of the pastoral associates meets regularly (almost weekly) with a few Protestant ministers who are using a Lectionary to discuss the readings, especially the Gospel reading which is usually the most common, often identical.

Edward Pothier

Post subject: Re: This is just wrong, I think
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:29 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Quote:
After the Roman Catholic liturgical changes post-Vatican II, a number of Protestant churches, especially the more "liturgical" ones, also adopted a three-year Lectionary cycle, quite similar to the RC one. Edward Pothier

Exactly, when I converted from PCUSA. There was no difference in this area as well as other things, mainly Ash Wed, lent all that is the same. I think you'd be ok following any of those from the higher liturgical churches if you found one you like.

What would be wrong with having Protestant sources btw? is it a Protestant site? It wouldn't be right if it was Catholic. I'm not sure I understand the problem :?

~ Pope John Paul II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:08 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Quote:
What would be wrong with having Protestant sources btw? is it a Protestant site? It wouldn't be right if it was Catholic. I'm not sure I understand the problem

It wouldn't be right if it was Catholic? Could you explain here unity.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:50 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

bonaventure wrote:
Quote:
What would be wrong with having Protestant sources btw? is it a Protestant site? It wouldn't be right if it was Catholic. I'm not sure I understand the problem

It wouldn't be right if it was Catholic? Could you explain here unity.

Well, I was just saying that if it was a Catholic website with Protestant lectionary calendars, that would be odd. I'm not sure I understand why it would be a problem having Protestant sources if it was a Protestant site. But then if it's the same lectionary all the higher churches use,then what problem would that be? I guess I don't get the first two posts. I feel I'm missing something. It doesn't take much :roll:

~ Pope John Paul II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:25 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: I got me some.
It is not an exclusively Catholic website.

Quote:
LivingWeb Library
Professional resources for preachers, teachers, and writers who need comprehensive, tightly organized materials. Primarily Christian and educational, growing across all fields of knowledge.

The "Common" and Episcopal collumns would be the first clue concerning the scope of the website.

The Protestant commentaries listed are available all over the net since they are no longer copyright protected. Unfortunately as far as I know, no Catholic equivilent exists, at least not in English.

"Man is placed above all creatures, and not beneath them, and he cannot be satisfied or content except in something greater than himself. Greater than himself there is nothing but Myself, the Eternal God. Therefore I alone can satisfy him."

The Dialogue of the Seraphic Virgin Catherine of Siena