Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: speaking of religious orders...?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:31 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Do you think it is wrong for a monastery to have men and women residing in the same monastery? (of course under these circumstances though---->seperate buildings and/or rooms)

No or yes and why so?... or maybe it all depends on the individual who decides to enter the monastery, perhaps God has given them the graces to do this without strong tempations??????

Did this stuff exist before the 20th century?

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:02 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

You are speaking of double monasteries -- if you follow the link I just gave, you will find that, while never common and in many centuries non-existent, the idea of double monasteries is almost as old as monasticism itself. What made you ask?

I thought everyone knew about the double monastery ruled by St. Hilda of Whitby. (No, Whitby. Remember? -- Whitby -- Caedmon -- Anglo-Saxon scriptural-paraphrase poetry -- it's in St. Bede's Ecclesiastical History? Oh, never mind...)

Custos