Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Religious Orders
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:32 pm 
Is there a site that provides a list of the different religious orders and a brief description of their mission/stated goal?

IVV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:15 pm 
http://www.visionguide.org/

I haven't looked at the website, but the magazine is pretty decent. I don't know how exhaustive it is - it's worth a look. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:54 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
http://roma.katolsk.no/orders.htm

http://dir.yahoo.com/Society_and_Cultur ... ic/Orders/

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:11 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I just looked at Mikes link---His is much better!

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:39 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

In Vino, if you are looking for a good Order to support, I'd like to suggest the Maryknoll's . If you're interested here's the address:

Maryknoll Fathers & Brothers, P.O. Box 336, Maryknoll, NY 10545-0336. You can also email them if you'd like more information. http://society.maryknoll.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:35 pm 
Nah, I'm looking at orders for a, uh, different reason...one guess as to why. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:43 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Quote:
Nah, I'm looking at orders for a, uh, different reason...one guess as to why.

Girlfriend's pregnant and you need to put the kid somewhere? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:54 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

THAT WAS MY GUESS

In other news my first expiriance with the Catholic Church was with a monk-style chaplin.....I think Fransisican...highly good stuff in my opinion

Finally Home!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:57 pm 
Catholic Cadet wrote:
Quote:
Nah, I'm looking at orders for a, uh, different reason...one guess as to why.

Girlfriend's pregnant and you need to put the kid somewhere? :P

::): ::): ::):

Bad CC, bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:38 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Having been around them all year, I really like the Franciscans. Our school was founded by the Sisters of the Order of St. Francis in Dubuqe, IA.

"Preach the gospel always; use words when necessary."
--Saint Francis of Assisi

Pax Et Bonum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:15 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

What sort of order are you looking for? If you find one website, you can usually follow the links to others. For example, www.capuchin.com is the site of one Capuchin province, but it will link you to the other provinces of the Caps, and to the international order's site, and from there to other types of Franciscans. If you are interested in monasticism, you can trace links from www.geneseeabbey.org to the larger trappist and benedictine world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:36 am 
For the most part I'm just seeing what's out there...and if I do eventually decide to enter the seminary, it would probably be diocesan. But I don't want to close doors yet, as I'm just beginning to explore the possibility of a calling. I just want to see what's out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:24 am 
Citizen
Citizen

In Vino.......check out the one I told ya about. They are awesome. Well ya also got your Franciscians, Jesuits, and geez I can't remember off the top of my head the others, but there are lots. Is there something in particular you want to do in an Order.......i.e., help children? live among the poor and help? preach? teach? Help us out and maybe we can find the right Order for ya :D

BTW, I just about fell out of my chair about the g/f and baby......laughing!!! ::):