Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Baptism?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:09 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Ok so here's the deal, I've been doing lots of reading on the Church and it says all baptisims are real.......correct me if I'm wrong.

Since I was baptized into the United church at birth the Catholic church won't/can't baptize me again....again correct me if I'm wrong.

So therefore, the Seventh Day Adventist church I used to go to trying to get me re-baptized by them was like super wrong....?

Finally Home!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:17 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

You would have to explain what sort of baptism the United church practices. Baptism, to be valid, must be in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The 7th Days' baptism wouldn't count, but if the United Church baptizes w/ the Trinitarian formula, then it counts.

CCC 1278: "The essential rite of baptism consists in immersing the candidate in water or pouring water on his head, while pronouncing the invocation of the Most Holy Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."

CCC 1280: "Baptism imprints on the soul an indelible spiritual sign, the character, which consecrates the baptized person for Christian worship. Because of the character Baptism cannot be repeated."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:18 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

persephone wrote:
You would have to explain what sort of baptism the United church practices. baptism, to be valid, must be in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The 7th Days' baptism wouldn't count, but if the United Church baptizes w/ the Trinitarian formula, then it counts.

CCC 1278: "The essential rite of baptism consists in immersing the candidate in water or pouring water on his head, while pronouncing the invocation of the Most Holy Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."

CCC 1280: "Baptism imprints on the soul an indelible spiritual sign, the character, which consecrates the baptized person for Christian worship. Because of the character Baptism cannot be repeated."
Ya mine was with the Father, Son, Holy Spirit

Finally Home!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:20 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

tom58 wrote:
Ya mine was with the Father, Son, Holy Spirit

Then according to the Catechism, you've been baptized, which can't be repeated, so you're golden. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:22 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
I honestly don't know how it happened with me, but being Methodist, I'm pretty positive that I'm good to go. :)

"Preach the gospel always; use words when necessary."
--Saint Francis of Assisi

Pax Et Bonum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:36 pm 
Paladin
Paladin

If one is unsure you can get a conditional Baptism.

"If it be uncertain whether the convert's baptism was valid or not, then he is to be baptized conditionally. In such cases the ritual is: 'If thou art not yet baptized, then I baptize thee in the name', etc."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02258b.htm#VII

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:40 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

A Long is right. Whenever there is doubt, a conditional baptism is usually done.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:12 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

As a general rule, Anglican/Episcopalian (and then from them, Methodist), Lutheran, and Calvinist (Presbyterian, UCC, Reformed) baptisms are Trinitarian, and valid.

Among baptisms that are always invalid are those of the Mormons, the Jehovah's Witnesses, and (if they bother to do it) Unitarians, because they do not believe in the Trinity.

With other, "free church" tradition Christians, it depends on the form used. Do they have a set liturgical form? Do their clergy improvise? What do they actually say? Do they use water? Based upon the answers to these questions, all these would have to be judged individually.