The Catholic Message Board
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/

God changing his mind
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32203
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Loboto-Me [ Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:36 pm ]
Post subject:  God changing his mind

If I remember correctly, in some parts of the bible, it shows that God changed his mind about stuff. Now if God is omniecent (sp?) how do we explain His mind changing?

Author:  Brendan [ Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

Do you have any specific examples in mind?

Author:  Loboto-Me [ Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

EEEK! You've just cornered me, I'm not that learned in the bible teachings... I just seem to remember that there were areas in the old testament that He changed His mind about things.

Author:  Edward Pothier [ Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: God changing his mind

Loboto-Me wrote:
EEEK! You've just cornered me, I'm not that learned in the bible teachings... I just seem to remember that there were areas in the old testament that He changed His mind about things.


The question of God "changing his mind" or even of God "repenting" is a rather anthropomorphic way of speaking which the Bible does use in places.

A prime example might be the whole book of Jonah in which God threatens/promises destruction for the city of Nineveh, but when the city repents after Jonah's preaching (post-fish-belly experience), God repents (Jonah 3:10). Of course, we would say that God knew that they would repent of their evil ways and that God would also "change his mind" about destroying them.


Edward Pothier

Author:  anawim [ Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: God changing his mind

Loboto-Me wrote:
If I remember correctly, in some parts of the bible, it shows that God changed his mind about stuff. Now if God is omniecent (sp?) how do we explain His mind changing?


He doesn't really change his mind, but rather moves us to the position that he wanted in the first place. Abraham didn't really change God's mind on how many righteous he could find in Sodom & Gomorrah, before God would destroy it. He knew from the beginning how many it would take.

Author:  pfairban [ Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

I wish I could stick around. This is one of my favorite topics. When I was a kid, we constantly learned in religion class that Catholicism was rooted in paradoxes that God was totally fine with but that were beyond our comprehension. This is one of my favorite. I think that God does change His mind, and, to quote a hymn, is never-changing, never the same (bad job of quoting). He is totally perfect AND totally dynamic.

Author:  Loboto-Me [ Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ahhh I'm understanding more now. He says something so that WE will change, something like what parents do to their kids :wink: And then He expects us to change (knowing that it's a lesson for us, because He already knew we would change our ways)
By threatening it even if He knew He wouldn't have to do it, it makes us think about the reason we need repentance in the first place. Is that about right?

Author:  pfairban [ Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

Loboto-Me wrote:
Ahhh I'm understanding more now. He says something so that WE will change, something like what parents do to their kids :wink: And then He expects us to change (knowing that it's a lesson for us, because He already knew we would change our ways)
By threatening it even if He knew He wouldn't have to do it, it makes us think about the reason we need repentance in the first place. Is that about right?


I disagree. I think we need to take these statements more seriously.

Author:  Loboto-Me [ Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm confused pfairban. I was trying to put into my own words what I was understanding about the previous posters' posts...

If you have something to add, I'll gladly listen, and if I was wrong about how I understood what the others were saying, please explain it to me differently so that I CAN understand.

Author:  Brendan [ Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

Loboto-Me wrote:
By threatening it even if He knew He wouldn't have to do it, it makes us think about the reason we need repentance in the first place. Is that about right?


In many ways, the lesson learned would be for future generations.

Take God telling Abraham to sacrifice Issac. God had Abraham walk to Mt. Moriah to sacrifice his son.

Abraham goes to Mt. Moriah and willingly offers up his son. God prevents it, but it doesn't mean God was lying, or changed his mind.

He wanted His people to know what love it would be to offer up ones' son. Instead God provided a ram, it's head caught in a thicket

many centuries later, God would offer up His own Son on Mt. Moriah (Cavalry is on Mt. Moriah). God again offered a Lamb, who's head was covered in thorns.

Author:  coolmk20x [ Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
many centuries later, God would offer up His own Son on Mt. Moriah (Cavalry is on Mt. Moriah). God again offered a Lamb, who's head was covered in thorns.


Are you serious? Has this been proved by archeologists?

Author:  Tired [ Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

coolmk20x wrote:
Quote:
many centuries later, God would offer up His own Son on Mt. Moriah (Cavalry is on Mt. Moriah). God again offered a Lamb, who's head was covered in thorns.


Are you serious? Has this been proved by archeologists?


The passion and death of Our Lord Jesus the Christ, cool...

Author:  coolmk20x [ Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

What I meant was to ask if archeologists have shown that Cavalry was really on Mt. Moriah. I do see the relationship between Abraham sacrificing his son and the sacrifice of Christ.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/