Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: newbie question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:27 pm 
Hi gang,

I was raised Roman Catholic. I turned away from the church in my twenty's, and now attend an Assembly of God church.
I have a renewed interest in Catholism and would like suggestions where I should start reading on this site.
Thank you for any suggestions.
Mrs Grizzly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:46 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Religion: Catholic
Feel free to ask any questions, that is what the Cath101 forum was made for.

I would recommend
"Theology for beginners" by Frank Sheed

"The Spirit of Catholicism" by Karl Adam

"The Belief of Catholics" by Ronald Knox

and of course the catechism.

Also this is a site if you are looking for answers to specific questions.

As I said before, feel free to ask any questions that you want. There are plenty of people here to help you. Also welcome to the board :D :D :!:

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:48 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Theology and Sanity--Frank Sheed-- I don't know how anyone could read that and not be utterly blown away by the incomparable beauty and truth of the Faith.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:49 pm 
Thank you for the welcome.
My biggest question is.............
Where in the bible does it say that Peter will be the head of the church , and who/how decided that the next sucsessor would be a pope? I am stumped with this.?
Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:54 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Sorry I forgot to post the link to that site

http://www.biblicalcatholic.com

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:23 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: sitting on a fencepost, chewing my bubblegum , playing with my YO-YO…
mrs grizzly wrote:
Where in the bible does it say that Peter will be the head of the church , and who/how decided that the next sucsessor would be a pope? I am stumped with this.?
Thanks again

The Catholic Church believes that the papacy finds its origin in the mind of Christ
and in the New Testament Church.
One day Jesus asked the apostles."Who do people say the Son of Man is?"
When they responded with John the Baptizer,Elijah,Jeremiah,or one of the other
prophets,Jesus asked "But who do you say that I am?" SIMON PETER replied,
"You are the Messiah,the Son of the living God."
Jesus was pleased with this answer,acknowledging that it had been inspired by
God and that it indicated a special role for PETER:
"Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has notr evealed this to
you,but my heavenly Father.
And so I say to you,you are PETER,and upon this rock I will build my Church,and
the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.I will give you the Keys to the
kingdom of heaven.
Whatever yo bind on earth shall be bound in Heaven; and whatever you loose on
earth shall be loosed in heaven"(Matthew 16:13-19)

Here is a start for you, there are other places to find help in the Bible
Mark 3:16-19
John 21:15-19
Acts 2:14-40

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:25 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

mrs grizzly wrote:

There are several problems with the position from which this question comes. It makes me think of several questions of my own, such as -- Where in the Bible does it say that an individual's personal interpretation of the meaning of Bible quotes should be preferred to the teaching authority of the living Church of God? Where in the Bible does it say that scripture alone should be considered when deciding matters of belief? Where in the Bible does it say that there is such a thing as a Bible, and what books it contains?

That being said, it is clear from all the early Church Fathers that the early Church considered Peter to be the leader of the Apostles, and that they followed Peter's own counsel from Acts ("let another take his bishoprick", as the KJV puts it; in other words -- and to translate the Greek fairly literally -- "let another take his position as one who oversees") and selected Linus to take Peter's place as the bishop who was the leader of the Christian community in Rome in particular, and among all Christian bishops generally.

Here are some verses from scripture that give background and support to what the Church has always understood about the primacy of Peter among the apostles:

Matthew Chapter 10: 2These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; 3Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; 4Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.

Matthew 16:13When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
14They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
16Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
17Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

Luke 22:31“Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. 32But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”

John 21:15When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
16Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you truly love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
17The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
18Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.

You also see Peter acting as leader of the apostles throughought the opening chapters of Acts.

Custos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:46 pm 
Master
Master

I moved this here as it is a more appropriate venue considering the question.

Do not hesitate to pm me with questions or concerns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:15 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
mrs grizzly... here are a few links to show you what the bible and the ECF had to say on the subject...and they should know..they lived it :wink:

http://www.catholic.com/library/Peter_a ... Papacy.asp

http://www.catholic.com/library/Peter_Successors.asp

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:49 pm 

mrs grizzly wrote:
Thanks again

One of the key verses is Mt. 16:18-19

When Jesus tells Peter that he is giving him the keys of the kingdom, he is quoting from Is. 22:22 in which the keys of the kingdom of David were being passed down. The position of prime minister in the house of David was successionary. Not only was Peter being given the position of holding the keys of the household until the King (Jesus) returns, but that he would be passing on that duty.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:53 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

mrs grizzly, also remember that pope means 'papa' - affectionately (and italian) for Father since the pope is, afterall, a priest and bishop. Rome is the Apostolic See and we remember the bishop of Rome as the successor of Peter (and we normally refer to him as the 'pope'). He has many additional titles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:59 pm 
Thanks for the responses..........I really appreciate it.
:D
Mrs Grizzly