Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Glass and Pottery
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:36 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

What, if anything, is wrong with glass or pottery for communion chalices, etc.?

"Now, having duly considered and weighed all these circumstances and testimonies, we conclude that a man is not justified by the precepts of a holy life, but by faith in Jesus Christ – in a word, not by the law of works, but by the law of faith; not by the letter, but by the spirit; not by the merits of deeds, but by free grace."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:01 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I believe that anything holding the Precious Body and Blood of our Lord needs to be made out of a strong durable material - thus metal. Glass and pottery are both breakable.

helene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:46 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Here is what the GIRM has to say:

III. Sacred Vessels

327. Among the requisites for the celebration of Mass, the sacred vessels are held in special honor, especially the chalice and paten, in which the bread and wine are offered and consecrated, and from which they are consumed.

328. Sacred vessels are to be made from precious metal. If they are made from metal that rusts or from a metal less precious than gold, then ordinarily they should be gilded on the inside.

329. In the Dioceses of the United States of America, sacred vessels may also be made from other solid materials that, according to the common estimation in each region, are precious, for example, ebony or other hard woods, provided that such materials are suited to sacred use and do not easily break or deteriorate. This applies to all vessels which hold the hosts, such as the paten, the ciborium, the pyx, the monstrance, and other things of this kind.

330. As regards chalices and other vessels that are intended to serve as receptacles for the Blood of the Lord, they are to have bowls of nonabsorbent material. The base, on the other hand, may be made of other solid and worthy materials.

Custos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:59 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The GIRM quoted above is the rule presently in force. Previously, there was some latitude in the US as long as the materials were suitable - e.g. beautiful, artistic, etc.

The change in the GIRM to require precious metal makes sense, but has caused a bit of a pastoral problem in some parishes, where parishioners have bought crystal or pottery communionware in honor of deceased family members. Even in such situations, the older non-precious metal communionware should be replaced, although there might be some allowance to do so gradually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:11 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Although for my part I have always thought those big, clunky, oh-so-clearly-handmade pottery (you can scarcely call them "ceramic") sets were hideous. I thought this even in the 1970's when these things were all the rage.

The Custos Rule for ceramic communionware would go something like "if it would look perfectly at home hanging from some macrame and with a spider plant in it, then LOSE IT -- NOW."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:13 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
What is the proper way to dispose of non-precious metal chalices?

I found one in the closet in our parish church during a parish cleanup day, and the base of it had broken off. A parishioner took it to have it repaired, but the metal was too old and corroded to salvage it. I don't know what happened to the chalice, but have often wondered how it would have been disposed of.

Siggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:52 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Custos wrote:
The Custos Rule for ceramic communionware would go something like "if it would look perfectly at home hanging from some macrame and with a spider plant in it, then LOSE IT -- NOW."

::): ::): ::):

I agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:17 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Signum Crucis wrote:
What is the proper way to dispose of non-precious metal chalices?

I found one in the closet in our parish church during a parish cleanup day, and the base of it had broken off. A parishioner took it to have it repaired, but the metal was too old and corroded to salvage it. I don't know what happened to the chalice, but have often wondered how it would have been disposed of.

Siggy

Sacred objects should be destroyed or buried. A chalice ought never be put in the trash or used for some profane (non-sacred) purpose. One parish I know of has the practice of putting old sacred articles in the coffins of parishioners. They regard it as a token of respect for parishioners who have contributed to the Church by their time and talent over the years, and as a fitting way of disposing old and unsalvagable items used in the liturgy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:46 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
Thanks.

Siggy