The Catholic Message Board
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/

Apologetic?
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31874
Page 1 of 1

Author:  BrotherKnight [ Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Apologetic?

What is an apologetic?

Author:  Mamamidwife [ Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

An answer.

Author:  Tired [ Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

that provides a defense of something.

Author:  BrotherKnight [ Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thank you for being vague :)

But really, I see we have an Apologetics forum, and I was wondering what went on in there.

Author:  lordpendragon [ Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

Apologetics is the defense and explanation of something.

So, they would explain and defend Catholicism in the apologetics forum.

Author:  BrotherKnight [ Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thank you :)

Author:  lordpendragon [ Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

You're welcome :)

Author:  Custos [ Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

Although please note that it is unusual to refer to "an apologetic". The term"apologetics" is a word like "mathematics", in that it has a plural form but is usually singular or plural in construction. (One would not speak of "a mathematic", for example.) When used (rarely) in the singular form, and as a noun rather than an adjective, you would not use "an" in front of "apologetic" -- think of how you would use the words "dialectic" or "rhetoric", and you get the idea.

Apologetics is defined as "systematic argumetative discourse in defense (as of a doctrine)." It is also "a branch of theology devoted to the defense of the divine origin and authority of Christianity." The most usual term for the defense itself is an apologia.

Author:  cradle/catholic/carole [ Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:43 am ]
Post subject: 

Thanks! I was wondering, too! I am learning here........... :o

Author:  Anonymous [ Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

I don't care for it being used in this way, but I have heard the word "apologetic" used as a title for a person that practices apologetics. i.e. "Karl Keating is an apologetic".

I don't like it being used in that way, I much prefer calling a person that practices apologetics an "apologist", but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Author:  BobCatholic [ Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:38 am ]
Post subject: 

An apologetic is an apology, like

"I'm sorry, I have to demolish your misconceptions."

"I'm sorry, I have to smash your argument into smithereens."

"I'm sorry, I'm having to WHOMP you with an apologetical pillow" :)

just kidding :mrgreen:

The biblical definition? [bible]1 Peter 3:15[/bible]

Author:  Catholic Defender [ Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:03 am ]
Post subject: 

I remember you! BC would always have the famous question that nobody could answer! They would twinkle toe around it!

Author:  Catholic Defender [ Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:04 am ]
Post subject: 

BobCatholic wrote:
An apologetic is an apology, like

"I'm sorry, I have to demolish your misconceptions."

"I'm sorry, I have to smash your argument into smithereens."

"I'm sorry, I'm having to WHOMP you with an apologetical pillow" :)

just kidding :mrgreen:

The biblical definition? [bible]1 Peter 3:15[/bible]


That's next weeks scripture, BC, you must of looked ahead!

Author:  BobCatholic [ Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:27 am ]
Post subject: 

catholic defender wrote:
I remember you! BC would always have the famous question that nobody could answer! They would twinkle toe around it!


Yeah, my "infamous 4 questions" about the Canon of Scripture worded in such a way that if they knew the answers, they wouldn't like it.

Author:  BobCatholic [ Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:27 am ]
Post subject: 

catholic defender wrote:
That's next weeks scripture, BC, you must of looked ahead!


Interesting coincidence! :) The Lord works in interesting ways.

Author:  Anonymous [ Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

BobCatholic wrote:
catholic defender wrote:
I remember you! BC would always have the famous question that nobody could answer! They would twinkle toe around it!


Yeah, my "infamous 4 questions" about the Canon of Scripture worded in such a way that if they knew the answers, they wouldn't like it.

I'm curious about these 4 infamous questions... can you recap?

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/