Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: History of calling priests "Father"?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:15 pm 
Master
Master

I'm just curious what the earliest record we have of calling a priest "father" is. For example, do we have a record of a contemporary of Augustine calling him "Fr. Augustine."?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:31 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Catholic
In English-speaking lands, the custom of calling priests "Father" isn't terribly old. I know a few hundred years ago, English priests were called "Sir," not, "Father." (Of course "sir" means "sire," another word for "father.") Other customs included calling priests, or at least some priests, "lord" or "my lord," or some variation of that. That's what "Don" or "Dom" and "Monsignor" means.

I praise Thee for all things, I bless Thee, I glorify Thee, with the everlasting and heavenly Jesus Christ, Thy beloved Son, with whom, to Thee, and the Holy Spirit, be glory both now and to all coming ages. Amen. -- St. Polycarp's prayer of thanksgiving at his martyrdom, 156 A.D.

Baby No. 8 is on the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:48 pm 

If I may be so presumptions, I would say St. Paul was the first to use the term. I Cor 4:15 states, “Even if you should have countless guides to Christ, yet you do not have many fathers, for I became you father in Christ Jesus through the gospel."

Sure, this is the heart of the great mystery: God became man, shouldering the weight of suffering so that on the final day none could say. "who are your to judge the world? What do you know of injustice? What do you know of torture, sickness, poverty? How dare you call yourself a righteous God! What do you know of death?" - Byzantium -

Post subject: Responsio
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:04 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Polycarp is essentially right. Although the priest is called 'Father' in the Confiteor (et tibi, Pater, quia peccavi...), other languages did and do have different forms of address for priests: Monsieur le Abbé and Don or Dom Firstname. 'Dom' is both Portuguese for 'Don' and, AFAIK unrelated to Portuguese, the title used with the name of Benedictine priests. Monks and friars of pre-Trent orders who are priests are 'Fr Firstname'. Of course in penal times after the 'Reformation' English priests were low-profile and went by 'Mister'. The Irish called all priests 'Father' and after Catholic emancipation in British lands in the 1800s the custom spread throughout the English-speaking world and in so doing BTW became a party badge of Anglo-Catholics.

I think both Orthodox priests and fully vowed monks, priests and non, are and have been for some time 'Fr Firstname'... except when a priest is writing to his bishop; then he signs his letter 'Priest Firstname' because the bishop is in himself a reverend father in God; priests are 'Father' to laity because they represent the bishop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:41 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Maronite Catholic
Church Affiliations: SJMJ
We don't call our priest "Father".

We call him "Abouna", the Aramaic word for father. Neat, huh?