Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is choosing godparents a Catholic tradition?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:13 pm 
Forgive me for being so ignorant... I am actually not a Catholic, but a non-denominational Christian. Someone recently asked me if my 6 month old baby had Godparents, and I must admit I was a little stumped about whether or not she should. I always thought Godparents were a Catholic tradition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:18 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
Who was it that asked you? I mean, like another non-denominational?

Godparents are a legal designation, also. Wealthy parents often appoint godparents for their children. The godparents would take charge of the minor child(rens) affairs should the parents die. It has nothing to do with religion, in this case.

While you're here, I'd like to ask you a question. How can you tell which non-denominational church you belong to when there are many, many who claim to be non-denominational and none of them seem to hold to the same set of beliefs?

Siggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:26 pm 
The person that asked me is a coworker, whom I believe is Catholic.

When you say Godparents are a legal designation also, does the 'also' indicate that yes, choosing them is a Catholic tradition, in addition to the legal reasons?

Here is a link to the "About" page of my church's website where what the congregation (and the church leaders) subscribe to is listed: http://www.trinityonline.org/cgi-bin/in ... me=believe

I didn't come to debate whether Catholicism was more 'accurate' than non-denominational Christianity in regard to beliefs. Just had a question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:31 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

allie wrote:
When you say Godparents are a legal designation also, does the 'also' indicate that yes, choosing them is a Catholic tradition, in addition to the legal reasons?

Yes. Sorry, I should have made that clear.

Quote:
Here is a link to the "About" page of my church's website where what the congregation (and the church leaders) subscribe to is listed: http://www.trinityonline.org/cgi-bin/in ... me=believe

I didn't come to debate whether Catholicism was more 'accurate' than non-denominational Christianity in regard to beliefs. Just had a question.

Thanks for the link. This forum isn't a debate forum. I had a question, too. Thanks for answering. I believe we have another non-denominational onboard.

Welcome to the board.

Siggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:37 pm 
Thank you Siggy. I assumed so, but honestly wasn't sure. It's not something talked about in my group of friends or immediate family members, so I was confused about whether or not it was Catholic tradition.

As far as choosing a non-denominational church out of many all with different beliefs, I can't honestly say I know the answer to that question. I haven't been to many different types of denominational churches in my life... the one I go to doesn't really attract members using its non-denominationality (is that a word?) but rather its community involvement and more than anything, word of mouth. I like the feeling there and enjoy the pastor's messages, so I continue to go.

Thanks for helping!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:55 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Everyone baptised in the Catholic Church has one or two godparents or sponsors. The terms are interchangable, but usually "godparent" is used when it is a child who is baptised and "sponsor" is used when it is an adult who is being baptised or received into the Chruch.

The godparents pledge that they will assist the parents in raising the child in the Catholic faith. The godparents are chosen by the parents, and are supposed to provide a good example for the child, and may become involved as a "favorite aunt or uncle," confidant, or resource person for the child as he or she grows older. Godparents must be Catholic, living a life in accordance with their faith, have been baptised and confirmed in the Church, and be 16 years of age or older.

In some places and in some eras of Church history (though never in America), being a godparent also gave some rights and responsibilities in civil law to care for the child in the event of the parents' death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:17 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
matteo d'basio wrote:
Everyone baptised in the Catholic Church has one or two godparents or sponsors. The terms are interchangable, but usually "godparent" is used when it is a child who is baptised and "sponsor" is used when it is an adult who is being baptised or received into the Chruch.

The godparents pledge that they will assist the parents in raising the child in the Catholic faith. The godparents are chosen by the parents, and are supposed to provide a good example for the child, and may become involved as a "favorite aunt or uncle," confidant, or resource person for the child as he or she grows older. Godparents must be Catholic, living a life in accordance with their faith, have been baptised and confirmed in the Church, and be 16 years of age or older.

In some places and in some eras of Church history (though never in America), being a godparent also gave some rights and responsibilities in civil law to care for the child in the event of the parents' death.

I think technically, you only have one sponsor (on the certificate anyway) but it is customary to have 2 actually at your Baptism... And it is now being recommended that one of those be your Confirmation sposor as well to connect the 2 Sacraments...

FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:22 pm 
Master
Master

I was surprised when my children were young to learn that only one godparent was required to be Catholic.

I wasn't comfortable with that, and my children all have two Catholic godparents.

From what I can surmise, almost every non-denominational church shares these characteristics: charismatic, evangelical, and Biblically-based. Although they are non-denominational, they seem to be close enough so that the word "non-denominational" can almost denote a set of beliefs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:12 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I know some protestant churches do have Godparents as well.

Christian rock doesn't make Christianity better, it makes Rock n Roll worse- Hank Hill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:15 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
hank wrote:

I know the Methodists do, because I have two godparents. And I was baptized Methodist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:17 pm 

CJE_ wrote:
hank wrote:

I know the Methodists do, because I have two godparents. And I was baptized Methodist.

I would think that any denomination which practices infant baptism would also have godparents. I'm pretty sure the Lutherans do.