Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Alright, the NAB translation
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:26 pm 
Paladin
Paladin

Religion: Catholic
I don't seem to remember what’s up with it besides weird footnotes and I thought I heard of weird word translations.

Can anyone give me details on it?

Positives and negatives.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Alright, the NAB translation
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:32 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
A. Long wrote:
I don't seem to remember what’s up with it besides weird footnotes and I thought I heard of weird word translations.

Can anyone give me details on it?

Positives and negatives.

Thanks.

Good - It's an easy read and good for personal devotional reading...

Bad - It's the favorite text for Scripture study and it shouldn't be because it is not literal, and doesn't represent Catholic Tradition in the places it chooses to be dynamic.

FJ

Last edited by forumjunkie on Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:32 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I am not fond of the footnotes.

The translation is wooden in places (many of them, I'm afraid, IMNSHO), and the translation of κεχαριτωμενη in Luke 1:28 as "favored one" rather than "full of grace" is odd in light of the long-standing English version of the Hail Mary (and in light of St. Jerome's Vulgate rendering of gratia plena).

I also dispute F/J's "easy to read" assessment, and one of its claimed benefits is that it is a fairly strict reading of the underlying text ("literal" is a confusing word, so I try not to use it).

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:51 pm 
Paladin
Paladin

Eh, hmmm..

The reason I ask is because I have a friend who wants a Catholic Bible to read - and his brother (who seems to be anti-Catholic) wants to check it out as well and compare it to his weird NIV translation.

My first thought was RSV-CE, but I couldn't find on cheap enough but I saw this one with inserted-note pages of Apologetics from Dave Armstrong;

http://www.allcatholicbooks.com/Merchan ... gory_Code=

There seems to be a lot of Apologetic notes from him - but it was NAB with the foot notes.

That's my problem. I can get him a RSV-CE in time or I can get him that one with the helpful notes.
Both he and his brother are clueless (his brother of course having the trademark misconceptions I believe), I did get him a Catechism though - but I thought Apologetic material would be nice as well.

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:00 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It's possible that version doesn't have the footnotes which make me uneasy. It wouldn't be an awful choice.

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:02 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
A. Long wrote:
Eh, hmmm..

The reason I ask is because I have a friend who wants a Catholic Bible to read - and his brother (who seems to be anti-Catholic) wants to check it out as well and compare it to his weird NIV translation.

My first thought was RSV-CE, but I couldn't find on cheap enough but I saw this one with inserted-note pages of Apologetics from Dave Armstrong;

There seems to be a lot of Apologetic notes from him - but it was NAB with the foot notes.

That's my problem. I can get him a RSV-CE in time or I can get him that one with the helpful notes.
Both he and his brother are clueless (his brother of course having the trademark misconceptions I believe), I did get him a Catechism though - but I thought Apologetic material would be nice as well.

Any thoughts?

My Favs...

http://www.catholicfreeshipping.com/Pro ... m-284.html
http://www.catholicfreeshipping.com/Pro ... udbib.html

FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:03 pm 
Paladin
Paladin

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
It's possible that version doesn't have the footnotes which make me uneasy. It wouldn't be an awful choice.

Oh, that version does have them though. :|

Last edited by Alexandros on Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:05 pm 
Paladin
Paladin

forumjunkie wrote:
A. Long wrote:
Eh, hmmm..

Any thoughts?

My Favs...

http://www.catholicfreeshipping.com/Pro ... m-284.html
http://www.catholicfreeshipping.com/Pro ... udbib.html

FJ

Yeah I was going for the Ignatius one.
I don't know if he can handle the OSB though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:22 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Passed along to me by email:

This information is according to Father Peter M. J. Stravinskas in his book, "The Catholic Church and the Bible", pg. 29, footnotes.

Footnote #1: In reference to the NAB (New American Bible): "The original edition of 1970 is good , as is the 1986 edition, which contains a revision of the New Testament; the latest edition to appear has a revised Psalter that is extremely problematic."

Footnote #2: In reference to the RSV (Revised Standard Version): "Again it is important to check publication dates. The original Catholic edition (1965) is excellent and has been reprinted by Ignatius Press; the 1993 revision is seriously defective."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:58 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I am not fond of the footnotes.

The translation is wooden in places (many of them, I'm afraid, IMNSHO), and the translation of κεχαριτωμενη in Luke 1:28 as "favored one" rather than "full of grace" is odd in light of the long-standing English version of the Hail Mary (and in light of St. Jerome's Vulgate rendering of gratia plena).

I also dispute F/J's "easy to read" assessment, and one of its claimed benefits is that it is a fairly strict reading of the underlying text ("literal" is a confusing word, so I try not to use it).

I agree about Luke 1:28 and I have problems with other verses like Romans 3:25 and such. Not to mention the commentary and inclusive language. The RSV-CE is better in as much as the inclusive language is left out though it is suffers in the same way that NAB does in the above mentioned verses. I like the DRV but the language is archaic and difficult for some. Teaching out of it is impracticle.

ZF