Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Pope's specific beliefs on the Iraq war?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:22 am 

Religion: Catholic
I was wondering if anyone can link me to or quote Pope John Paul II's specific teachings on the Iraq war and what he said about it. I know in a nutshell that he was against it, but I'm not aware of any specific alternatives he offered in the situation that America and George Bush found itself in a few years ago. I tend to agree with President Bush on most issues, yet I tend to agree with the pope on more. This was an interesting battle in my mind because I kind of agreed with both of them, but obviously they did not agree with each other in what actions to finally take. It seemed to me that the pope was always thinking in more general terms about the right or wrongness of the specific action, whereas Bush was having to look critically at the specific situation to try to figure out what to do, not that either of these approaches was necesarily a bad thing or a good thing. I have to imagine that the pope, while not wanting the war to happen, did not want the Iraq people to continue to live under the conditions that the former dictator forced them into...but what did he say about that? Just wondering because I'd love to read it. THANKS!

Peace!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:58 am 
Citizen
Citizen

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-03-05-bush-catholic_x.htm

Hi,

You will find many opinions regarding this issue. The Holy Father was clear that he opposed the pre-emptive War in Iraq. He called the War illegal and unjust, both before and after the War began. The Holy Father does not make these beliefs binding to Catholics because such determinations of War are left to governments, and not the Vatican.

The illegality of the War has to do with the fact that a legitimate body must authorize such a War. It appears that the Holy Father considered the UN a legitimate international body.

The Holy Father was an unwavering man of peace. Since his beliefs of the War are non-binding, we are free to decide if we agree with the War in Iraq. Many American Catholics believe that the War in Iraq is just and not illegal for a variety of reasons. I personally agree with the Pope, primarily because I am certain that the Holy Father had much more knowledge of the issue, and more wisdom than I could ever have on this topic. I am also certain that you will get many arguments in support of the War.

BTW-I think it is ok to agree with the President when his positions are in line with our Church, and disagree when they are not.

George D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:52 am 

Religion: Catholic
thanks a lot george. that was very insightful!