Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:39 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Catholic
Quote:
If God is loving and forgiving, why is there a hell?

Because He is loving and forgiving -- but we very often are not.

The Father of the Prodigal Son never stopped loving him, and forgave him -- but would the Prodigal have received any benefit of his Father's love if he never came home and never repented?

I praise Thee for all things, I bless Thee, I glorify Thee, with the everlasting and heavenly Jesus Christ, Thy beloved Son, with whom, to Thee, and the Holy Spirit, be glory both now and to all coming ages. Amen. -- St. Polycarp's prayer of thanksgiving at his martyrdom, 156 A.D.

Baby No. 8 is on the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:51 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Max Majestic wrote:
There are good people, who either believe in faiths other than Christianity or profess no faith at all, who do not desire to burn in eternal torment. The choice of a religion is a question of intellectual assent, not a judgement on the character of the person.

Is it not true that people who have not rejected Jesus because they have not heard of him, cannot justly be condemned to hell, because they did not seek self, but served Deity as best they knew? Only those who know what it is that they are rejecting when they reject Christ and choose self have chosen an eternity without God. In other words, intellectual assent is what makes or breaks the verdict.

Post subject: Re: If God is loving and forgiving, why is there a hell?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:53 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
CommonMan wrote:
A friend of mine was asked this question, and he in turn asked me.

Any takers?

The purpose of hell is to scare Proterstants into becoming Catholics.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:45 pm 
Highness
Highness

pax wrote:
CommonMan wrote:
A friend of mine was asked this question, and he in turn asked me.

Any takers?

The purpose of hell is to scare Proterstants into becoming Catholics.
ok Pax, that one did get a chuckle out of me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:50 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

I can't imagine that this is still pub material, It's definitely a discussion of a religious nature...

Off to cat101.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:09 pm 
Adept
Adept

Hey, you're right -- this thread was in the Pub, wasn't it. Huh. I really should try to pay closer attention to which forum I'm in . . . .

I praise Thee for all things, I bless Thee, I glorify Thee, with the everlasting and heavenly Jesus Christ, Thy beloved Son, with whom, to Thee, and the Holy Spirit, be glory both now and to all coming ages. Amen. -- St. Polycarp's prayer of thanksgiving at his martyrdom, 156 A.D.

Baby No. 8 is on the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:45 am 
Highness
Highness

Quote:
Why is it than we people ask me this question, my first impluse is to respond

"He wanted a place for people who ask Him stupid questions like that"

That isn't very helpful. I can understand how a child (or an adult) would ask that question. There is a seeming contradiction, it needs to be adressed.

Quote:
Because He is loving and forgiving -- but we very often are not.

The Father of the Prodigal Son never stopped loving him, and forgave him -- but would the Prodigal have received any benefit of his Father's love if he never came home and never repented?

The answer is good, but that story may not yet make sense to the questioner. Some parables need explanations in themselves (like Matthew 20: 1-16).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:03 am 
Highness
Highness

Quote:
Isaiah 45:7 form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

I don't think the passage means God made evil things.

What we call evil isn't always what we think it is. I will try an analogy:

We read about animal rights groups who hate to see animals killed, to them it' evil, but in God's world animals kill each other every day to survive. It's not evil, even if the result is the same. Out of the perceived evil act comes life (the old food chain thing, the circle of life). God thinks bigger than we do. We often can't see the truly BIG picture.

(not sure if that analogy works or not)

When we know God is in control of all aspects of this world, even in our most frighting or our most destitute moments we can seek comfort in knowing that our lives and souls are in his good hands.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2