Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 32 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:49 pm 

I personally find relics, especially second class relics, fascinating! I posted in the Lyceum about a book I've recently read, The Bones of St. Peter. I've also just picked up a book called Relics, by Joan Carrol Cruz, which seems rather comprehensive for such a small book. She also wrote The Incorruptibles, which I've seen recommended on this board before.

As a protestant, I felt so isolated from history. I never realized the depth of that feeling until I understood the Communion of Saints, and then it felt like I suddenly had this vast family, that I could learn about, talk to, even know in some ways. Amazing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:10 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Mamamidwife wrote:
As a protestant, I felt so isolated from history. I never realized the depth of that feeling until I understood the Communion of Saints, and then it felt like I suddenly had this vast family, that I could learn about, talk to, even know in some ways. Amazing!

Oh, that is exactly how I felt!! I used to read history and feel so sad that so and so in the fifth century was described as a Christian, when of course what they were was Catholic, and of course Catholics all go straight to hell. I felt as if I couldn't relate to anybody in history because of that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:14 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
I have several first class relics which we venerate in a domestic shrine. You know how you feel this wave of holiness when viewing the body of Pope John Paul II? Wel, its kind of the same thing. First we know that the saints are with is. Also, we know that these remains will be united with the souls of these saints at the end of time. By serving as the gaurdian of these fragments we are serving the saints, and therefore, serving God.

I know by modernist standards it may seem odd. Then again, I stopped using the standards of modernity as a primary guide in my life a few years back.

It used to be possible to obtain relics from the postulators of a cause in Rome. This has stopped and not you are required to have a letter from your Bishop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:17 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Mark Shea mentions that they creep him out too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:56 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Quote:
Mark Shea mentions that they creep him out too

I like him anyway.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:33 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Doesn't this infringe somehow on the resurrection of the body?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:43 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I like Mark Shea too. He tells it like he sees it, even if his readers don't like it.

A recent favorite was this ...
"68.3 'Approve Or Strongly Approve' Release of Barabbas - Morgan Gallup Reveals"
when referring to the percentage of Americans who "want the next pope to allow priests to marry and women to join the priesthood"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:05 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

mattmoss wrote:
You'll get a kick out of this one: http://www.kostnice.cz/ Don't know whether any of the bones are considered relics, but it is kinda creepy.

To get a description, click on "English", followed by "Ossuary".

eww gross!

Ei autem qui potest vos conservare sine peccato et constituere ante conspectum gloriae suae inmaculatos in exultatione soli Deo salvatori nostro per Iesum Christum Dominum nostrum gloria magnificentia imperium et potestas ante omne saeculum et nunc et in omnia saecula amen. - Epistula Iudae 1:24-25

Si quis ergo in Christo, nova creatura; vetera transierunt, ecce, facta sunt nova. - Ad Corinthios II 5:17

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:09 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
orourkebr wrote:
Doesn't this infringe somehow on the resurrection of the body?

How so?

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:26 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I probably don't understand the resurrection of the body entirely...but if we have somebody's head in this city, and then their torso in this city...ummm well what happens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:43 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Think of the martyrs whose bodies were burnt to ashes. No act of man can keep the bodily resurrection from going according to schedule. :)

Siggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:43 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Quote:
No act of man can keep the bodily resurrection from going according to schedule.

Exactly.

A friend who has done alot for the veneration of relics in the US told me to imagine the end of time, when the angels come to collect all the relics on earth to unite them to the souls of the departed faithful.

Its a lovely image, and one which underscorees that fact that relics are never owned, but are merely gaurded faithfully until the end of time.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 32 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2