Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:41 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
I can totally sympathize with all the people here still waiting to be received into full communion. I waited nearly two years after becoming convinced of the truth of Catholicism before I was received experienced the total joy of first communion.

I made the mistake a couple of times of taking communion with a protestant church, and believe me, it felt so empty and actually made the pain of not taking communion harder!

Have patience brothers and sisters, it is TOTALLY worth the wait.

--James

Ei autem qui potest vos conservare sine peccato et constituere ante conspectum gloriae suae inmaculatos in exultatione soli Deo salvatori nostro per Iesum Christum Dominum nostrum gloria magnificentia imperium et potestas ante omne saeculum et nunc et in omnia saecula amen. - Epistula Iudae 1:24-25

Si quis ergo in Christo, nova creatura; vetera transierunt, ecce, facta sunt nova. - Ad Corinthios II 5:17

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:39 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Beth, it is truly great that you want to follow our Lords words. But our Lord commanded that you receive His Body and Blood. You are under no command to receive something that is not His Body and Blood. And we all know where His Body and Blood is....

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:35 pm 
Thank you, everyone, truly. I spoke with the priest at our parish and he was able to help me see this more clearly. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:02 pm 

I feel your pain. I also grew up in the church of Christ and am a Harding graduate. I was a church of Christer’s church of Christer ers, what ever. I remember I how angry I was when we started RCIA--how can the Catholic church dare tell me I can’t taken the Lord’s Supper, I am a baptized believer. However, since then I have found that my ignorance is what made me angry. If we believe that the Catholic church is the true church as set by Christ then we should not want to participate in anything which we don’t understand (not that we can understand everything). I did not even have an inkling of what the Holy Eucharist was and the beauty which encompasses it. If I had taken it in that state I personally believe I would have been doing the very thing Paul warns against in 1 Corinthians by eating and drinking condemnation upon myself. Once we understand this we can rely on God’s grace to carry us through until that time. Just as the catechumens rely on God’s grace, love and understanding of their heart while they start on their path to baptism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:56 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

BHayes wrote:
I appreciate the suggestions...especially regarding "Spiritual Communion." I also appreciate those who truly understand the situation - no longer Protestant and not YET Catholic. It is a dilemma for me because I DO think communion is important - not because of the teachings of my old church but because of Christ's very own words.

Also, I haven't even started RCIA and won't be able to until September -- several months away -- and just searching for solutions in the meantime.

Thanks.

I know exactly where you are. I made the decision in February of 2004 that I was going to be Catholic and couldn't start RCIA until September, seven months later. I read everything I could get my hands on through that time, and when RCIA started, I had to spend another seven months sitting though the most elementary instruction possible. I was not longer Protestant, but not officially Catholic, and wanted so bad to be Really Catholic.

I entered the church at Easter Vigil two weeks ago, and it was then that I realized why they make you abstain, why they make you go through such a long process when you already KNOW you want to join: To make it MATTER to you. To develop patience. I liken it to abstinence before marriage, because really, "consummation" is the best analogy I can think of to describe the moment when finally you receive the Body and Blood you have developed such a longing for. Slipping into a Protestant church would be like not sleeping with your fiance, but fooling around on with some cheap hooker. It'll cheapen the awesomeness of the moment you actually are joined to the Mystical Body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:22 pm 

What I found interesting is that, yes, I did feel guilty when I missed communion as a Protestant, but it was nothing compared to the agonizing feeling of being deprived after knowing in my soul that Christ is truly present in the Eucharist. I think that in itself further affirms this awesome Truth.

That said; I think I did receive once in an Episcopal church while vacationing, but it didn't satisfy that immense hunger at all. It only made me long that much more for the real deal.

My advice, dear OP, is to read all you can on the Eucharist while waiting. The wait itself is a wonderful opportunity to meditate on what a glorious Savior we have who offers us such a loving gift-- so sacred and special, not to be taken lightly... but lovingly and fearfully anticipated.

Welcome home.

Melia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:37 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Nice post melia3. And welcome to DCF! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:40 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Hi there and welcome Melia :D

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2