Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Convert in a dilemma about communion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:26 am 
I'm planning to convert but won't start RCIA until September...and of course won't be able to take Holy Communion until Easter of 2006. I was baptized 25 years ago (church of Christ), and believe that I am commanded to take communion every Sunday - regardless of my eventual conversion. Do you think it would be wrong for me to slip into a Protestant service every Sunday to take communion? Feels a bit deceptive to me but I really don't know what else to do. I can't imagine NOT taking communion for a year. :cry: To me, that would be putting my soul at risk.

Any thoughts? :?:

Beth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:31 am 

Are you truly serious about converting? I hope that you are, but I have to ask.

I converted last year and haven't attended anything but Mass since then. I don't think it would be a good idea to receive a Protestant church's communion. First it isn't really the body, blood and divinity of Christ that you are receiving and secondly it could be seen as an outward sign that you agree with what they are doing.

Just wait for the real thing. It's definately worth it.

"Tell us straight out that you do not believe in the Gospel of Christ; for you believe what you want in the Gospel and disbelieve what you want. You believe in yourself rather than in the Gospel." --St. Augustine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:32 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
Dropper wrote:
Are you truly serious about converting?

I converted last year and haven't attended anything but Mass since then. I don't think it would be a good idea to receive a Protestant church's communion. First it isn't really the body, blood and divinity of Christ that you are receiving and secondly it could be seen as an outward sign that you agree with what they are doing.

Also-

If you agree with the Catholic Church, you believe that what that church was giving you was just bread and grape juice (or whatever it was), it was not the actual Body and Blood of Jesus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:35 am 
Beth, doing the act of spiritual communion would be next best thing and most appropriate for your situation.

Spiritual Communion: the conscious desire to receive Holy Communion. Spiritual communion, made in acts of faith and love during the day is highly recommended by the Church. According to the Council of Trent, the faithful who "receive the Eucharist in spirit" are "those who, inflamed with a lively faith that works in charity, partake in wish and desire of the celestial Bread offered to them, receive from it, if not the entire, at least very great benefits" ... from Hardon's Catholic Dictionary
---

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:39 am 

whut wrote:
Also-

If you agree with the Catholic Church, you believe that what that church was giving you was just bread and grape juice (or whatever it was), it was not the actual Body and Blood of Jesus.

Exactly.

Also, I should have added that it killed me not to receive Holy Communion while I was in RCIA. I couldn't stand being there (we didn't leave after the Liturgy of the Word until after the Rite of Election) and not receive. I wish could have received, but I wasn't in communion with the Church at that point. I accepted it but it was hard.

That being said I wouldn't have even considered taking communion at a Protestant Church since I knew that it wouldn't have been real...

"Tell us straight out that you do not believe in the Gospel of Christ; for you believe what you want in the Gospel and disbelieve what you want. You believe in yourself rather than in the Gospel." --St. Augustine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:43 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Yeah, my fiancee wanted to take communion so bad that it upset her that she couldn't she felt left out, but there are very good reasons why you can't because it is Jesus' Body and Blood, so you have to learn to take it amazingly seriously.

Post subject: Re: Convert in a dilemma about communion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:18 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
BHayes wrote:
I'm planning to convert but won't start RCIA until September...and of course won't be able to take Holy Communion until Easter of 2006. I was baptized 25 years ago (church of Christ), and believe that I am commanded to take communion every Sunday - regardless of my eventual conversion. Do you think it would be wrong for me to slip into a Protestant service every Sunday to take communion?

Yes.

Quote:
Feels a bit deceptive to me but I really don't know what else to do. I can't imagine NOT taking communion for a year. :cry: To me, that would be putting my soul at risk.

Beth

If you are converting to Catholicism, it makes no sense to continue to hold yourself to some guidelines of the religion/church you are leaving.

Personally, I think it would be counter-productive to your conversion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:24 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: TOC, KofC
Dropper wrote:
Are you truly serious about converting? I hope that you are, but I have to ask.

I agree.

And when you are at Mass, do a Spiritual Communion.

Like this from EWTN:

Quote:
My Jesus,
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You.
Amen.

"For Tolkein, Catholicism was not an opinion to which one subscribed but a reality to which one submitted." J. Pearce in Tolkein: Man and Myth - So I guess I'm in good company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:26 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Orthodox (In Communion With Rome)
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
WARNING!!!

I went to receive communion once during the time I was in catechumen's class. I knew better than this, but a priest had said he thought it was okay.

A couple of days later I --who am normally as healthy as a horse and very rarely sick -- came down with a TERRIBLE case of the flu that just laid me out for two weeks.

Needless to say, I didn't further partake until I was a full member of the Church!!!

I know your desire, but God looks upon your heart. Go forward, cross your hands across your heart, and let the priest bless you. God will honor your faith in Him and your belief that this is really, truly Jesus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:39 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Apostate
Those who are unable to communicate sacramentally are encouraged to make an act of spiritual communion during Mass.

The most common form for an Act of Spiritual Communion would be to pray the following prayer during to Communion Rite:

My Jesus,
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart.
I embrace You as if You were already
there and unite myself wholly to You.
Never permit me to be separated from You.
Amen.

Justin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:55 pm 

BHayes wrote:
I'm planning to convert but won't start RCIA until September...and of course won't be able to take Holy Communion until Easter of 2006. I was baptized 25 years ago (church of Christ), and believe that I am commanded to take communion every Sunday - regardless of my eventual conversion. Do you think it would be wrong for me to slip into a Protestant service every Sunday to take communion? Feels a bit deceptive to me but I really don't know what else to do. I can't imagine NOT taking communion for a year. :cry: To me, that would be putting my soul at risk.

Beth

First off your salvation is not dependant on you not being able to receive for a year.

It would be absolutely wrong to 'slip into a Protestant service'. Do you believe in the Literal and Real Presence of our Lord in the Eucharist? If yes then how could it mean anything to receive in a Church that doesn't even have the Real Presence???

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:18 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Take if from someone who JUST entered the Church a few days ago! I so badly wanted to take the body and blood but knew it wasn't right for me. Even after I had been to two confessions I still did not take even though in some viewpoints I could have. I waited. Believe me, when you get your first communion, and the whole church is watching you and praying for you, it is such an awesome experience. Be warned however, once you've had "the real thing" you want it more than anything else!

James

Ei autem qui potest vos conservare sine peccato et constituere ante conspectum gloriae suae inmaculatos in exultatione soli Deo salvatori nostro per Iesum Christum Dominum nostrum gloria magnificentia imperium et potestas ante omne saeculum et nunc et in omnia saecula amen. - Epistula Iudae 1:24-25

Si quis ergo in Christo, nova creatura; vetera transierunt, ecce, facta sunt nova. - Ad Corinthios II 5:17

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:22 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Welcome home James!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:28 pm 

Dropper wrote:
whut wrote:
Also-

Exactly.

Also, I should have added that it killed me not to receive Holy Communion while I was in RCIA.

I broke down sobbing in RICA one Sunday when the leader commented in an offhand manner, "I know how badly you want to receive the Eucharist." It was agonizing.

Would it really make you feel better to receive protestant communion? If it would, you really need to re-examine this teaching and learn more about it. You're in a tough place, I know. No longer protestant, not yet recognized Catholic.

I was going to suggest the Spiritual Communion already addressed above. The other suggestion I can make is to put your suffering to good use. Offer it up to Christ. Thank Him for all the suffering He did on your behalf, and ask Him to help your suffering purify your soul and others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:23 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Seatuck wrote:
Welcome home James!

Thanks! I am so glad to be home!

Ei autem qui potest vos conservare sine peccato et constituere ante conspectum gloriae suae inmaculatos in exultatione soli Deo salvatori nostro per Iesum Christum Dominum nostrum gloria magnificentia imperium et potestas ante omne saeculum et nunc et in omnia saecula amen. - Epistula Iudae 1:24-25

Si quis ergo in Christo, nova creatura; vetera transierunt, ecce, facta sunt nova. - Ad Corinthios II 5:17

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:57 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I'll chime in with what a helpful priest told me at the very beginning of my official conversion process (he was the first real live Catholic person I ever talked to about it): That separation from the Eucharist, even in the incomplete Protestant version of it, really is painful. But we can take that separation as a reminder of how, in some sense, Jesus feels when we are separated from Him in His Church, and then remind ourselves how patient He has been waiting for us to come to Him. (I think I've redacted that considerably from what he actually said.)

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:50 pm 
I appreciate the suggestions...especially regarding "Spiritual Communion." I also appreciate those who truly understand the situation - no longer Protestant and not YET Catholic. It is a dilemma for me because I DO think communion is important - not because of the teachings of my old church but because of Christ's very own words.

Also, I haven't even started RCIA and won't be able to until September -- several months away -- and just searching for solutions in the meantime.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:13 pm 

BHayes wrote:
I appreciate the suggestions...especially regarding "Spiritual Communion." I also appreciate those who truly understand the situation - no longer Protestant and not YET Catholic. It is a dilemma for me because I DO think communion is important - not because of the teachings of my old church but because of Christ's very own words.

Also, I haven't even started RCIA and won't be able to until September -- several months away -- and just searching for solutions in the meantime.

Thanks.

I was in exactly your position. Became convinced of the Catholic Eucharist at Easter two years ago, had to wait a complete year to be received. Agony. Have you met with the priest, yet? Sometimes they will allow alternatives to RCIA. Also, in some parishes, they will receive people at Christ the King in November.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:38 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Papist all the way
Hi Beth,

I grew up in the Church of Christ too, so I know how the habit of taking communion every Sunday is deeply ingrained. But, like the others said, it's not the true body and blood of Christ at the protestant churches, so what good would it do to slip in and take it. I mean, you could have a cracker and a cup of grape juice at home and it would be the same thing. :|

Wait in anticipation for the true body and blood of Christ. I am in the same position as you right now, waiting to be received into the church. I hunger and thirst for my Lord Jesus in the Eucharist!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:29 am 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
BHayes wrote:

No, you can not recieve once you know the truth of what you are doing. Communion is not symbolic and the minister is not ordained through apostolic succession. It is tough as you desire to follow His command. Read I Cor 11 and see if it can tell you why the Church has closed communion.

Beth

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*
http://catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.html
Ephesians 6:10-17
1 Timothy 3:15

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next