Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blessings from priests
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:08 pm 
Master
Master

I notice many people asking the priest to give a blessing to them or a religious item they bought. Why is this important? Can the laity give blessings too? Is there something special about blessings given by a priest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:42 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

The priest gives the church's blessing, in persona Christi. I understand it to have the force of the merits of Christ and the saints. A lay person's blessing has the force of the merit of the individual. Bp. Chaput in Denver wrote about this recently when he ordered that the Extrordinary ministers of Holy Communion to no longer give blessings during the communion line.

recently have seen a very odd one. The blessing of the "elect" at mass during the scrutiny. The priest asked everyone to hold out their hand in the gesture normally used by the priest, and then the choir sang the blessing while priest and congregation were silent!

so, was there a blessing, or merely entertainment and warm-fuzzyness?

"You seek me", St. Augustine comments, "for the flesh, not for the spirit. How many seek Jesus for no other purpose than that He may do them good in this present life! [...] Scarcely ever is Jesus sought for Jesus' sake" (In Ioann. Evang, 25, 10).

“therefore is my people led away captive, because they have not knowledge … therefore hath hell enlarged her mouth without any bounds” (Is 5:13-14).

But he that shall persevere to the end, he shall be saved. (Mt 24:13)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:02 am 
Master
Master

fuzzyness, sounds to me like the priest is being lazy.

"Holy Priests make holy people, but a priest who is not holy is not only useless, but harmful to the world" - Pope St. Pius X

All opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Holy Catholic Church or the diocese of Columbus.