The Catholic Message Board
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/

Archangels
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29532
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Compsognathus [ Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Archangels

I have a question regarding St. Michael and St. Gabriel.

How can they be both angels and saints? I thought saints were humans who are in heaven.

Thanks

Author:  tAnGo [ Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

That is quite possibly the strangest question I've seen in a long time.

Author:  Quo Vadis [ Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

Its not humans but persons. Angels are persons in heaven and so they fit the title "saint". Another definition you find for saint is a friend and servant of God.

Author:  Polycarp [ Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:54 am ]
Post subject: 

"Saint" means someone who is "holy." All the angels of God are "saints."

I admit I used to be puzzled when Catholics referred to "St. Michael the Archangel," because I too believed that only humans could be saints. That is, I guess I unconsciously believed that sainthood was acquired -- and the angels of God never passed through a phase of existence when they weren't holy. Yes, Lucifer and his angels fell from heaven and became unholy, but those who remained faithful to God retained their holiness.

Author:  Compsognathus [ Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:59 am ]
Post subject: 

Polycarp wrote:
That is, I guess I unconsciously believed that sainthood was acquired -- and the angels of God never passed through a phase of existence when they weren't holy.


That was my thought as well. Thanks for straightening me out, everyone.

Author:  sparky [ Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:08 am ]
Post subject: 

The word "Saint" is from Sancta/Sanctus - meaning "holy." So whenever you're putting the word "saint" in front of someone's name all you're doing is calling them "Holy So-and-so."

So, in translation, you're really saying "Holy Archangel Michael" or "Holy Therese."

get it?

That's why it applies to angels as well as saintly people.

--Ann

Author:  Kenny [ Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:10 am ]
Post subject: 

As Ann pointed out, "Saint" comes from the Latin "sancte" meaning "holy."

Sancte Michael Acrchangele - Holy/Saint Michael the Archangel.

Author:  spokenword [ Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

Saints are different than Angels. Saints were created from earthly dust. Angels were not. Angels are spiritual beings and were created as Gods messengers and servants. :roll: God Bless

Author:  Kenny [ Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

spokenword wrote:
Saints are different than Angels. Saints were created from earthly dust. Angels were not. Angels are spiritual beings and were created as Gods messengers and servants. :roll: God Bless


Earthly dust? As opposed to? Heavenly dust? Angel dust?

Author:  spokenword [ Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Kenny wrote:
spokenword wrote:
Saints are different than Angels. Saints were created from earthly dust. Angels were not. Angels are spiritual beings and were created as Gods messengers and servants. :roll: God Bless


Earthly dust? As opposed to? Heavenly dust? Angel dust?
Hi Kenny, Ive heard of angel dust. I thought that was a drug they put up their nose? ::): Point is one was created from above[heaven] and the other from below[earth].God Bless

Author:  Polycarp [ Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

But both are saints.

Author:  lbt [ Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Archangels

CJE wrote:
I have a question regarding St. Michael and St. Gabriel.

How can they be both angels and saints? I thought saints were humans who are in heaven.

Thanks


We actually honor three archangels: St. Michael, St. Gabriel, and St. Raphael on September 29. All of them are saints, and so is your guardian angel. :cloud9:

I recommend that we human beings have devotion to angels. No smilie for angels? How come?

Author:  Hazel-rah [ Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Archangels

CJE wrote:
I have a question regarding St. Michael and St. Gabriel.

How can they be both angels and saints? I thought saints were humans who are in heaven.

Thanks


Quote:
Saint:

1. A person officially recognized, especially by canonization, as being entitled to public veneration and capable of interceding for people on earth.
2. A person who has died and gone to heaven.


An Archangel would be a saint in the first sense, but not the second.

Justin

Author:  Anonymous [ Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Archangels

Quote:
Saint:

1. A person officially recognized, especially by canonization, as being entitled to public veneration and capable of interceding for people on earth.
2. A person who has died and gone to heaven.


I found this helpful...but then troubling - now I have a question. What if I have an aunt...aunt Martha...who has already died after a fruitful and faithful life as a Catholic. She received the Sacraments, y.y.y., and our family prays for her. If she is now in heaven (which of course we likely do not know for sure but have certain hope) is she also a saint even though she is not canonized?

Author:  Polycarp [ Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:10 am ]
Post subject: 

Yes, she would be a saint, even if not canonised. That's why we have the annual feast of All Saints on Nov. 1 -- because even if we could know the names of every human soul in heaven, there wouldn't be room for them all in the calendar. So, in a real sense, Nov. 1 would be Aunt Martha's memorial feast -- that would be when you would very appropriately remember her and specially pray for her intercession.

Author:  Signum Crucis [ Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Archangels

lbt wrote:
No smilie for angels? How come?


If we can find some that aren't too sappy or cute, that's a good idea.

Siggy

Author:  Anonymous [ Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
Yes, she would be a saint, even if not canonised. That's why we have the annual feast of All Saints on Nov. 1 -- because even if we could know the names of every human soul in heaven, there wouldn't be room for them all in the calendar. So, in a real sense, Nov. 1 would be Aunt Martha's memorial feast -- that would be when you would very appropriately remember her and specially pray for her intercession.


Ohhhhhhh. I think I misread that list of two conditions - it's either one or the other. Whew. That's what I thought...

Author:  RPJ [ Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have wondered this myself. Thanks for asking the question, OP. :)

Author:  Brendan [ Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Archangels

lbt wrote:
We actually honor three archangels: St. Michael, St. Gabriel, and St. Raphael on September 29. All of them are saints, and so is your guardian angel. :cloud9:

I recommend that we human beings have devotion to angels. No smilie for angels? How come?


There are actually 4 Archangels, all of whom we honor.

St. Michael
St. Gabriel
St. Raphael
St. Uriel


And trust me, St. Uriel is the one I would most want on my side :shock:

Author:  Kenny [ Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:19 am ]
Post subject: 

Does the Church actually officially recognise St Uriel as one of the Archangels? I always thought he was more of an apocryphal (but no less real) figure. He's also not mentioned in the Litany of the Saints.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/