Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Archangels
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:27 am 
Eminent
Eminent

Signum Crucis wrote:
lbt wrote:
No smilie for angels? How come?

If we can find some that aren't too sappy or cute, that's a good idea.

Siggy

There are some smilies for angels. Here is one of them:

Vietnamese - Mother's Heart Will Conquer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:39 am 

To cute. Sorry.

( Just kidding)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:48 am 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

Religion: Catholic
spokenword wrote:
Saints are different than Angels. Saints were created from earthly dust. Angels were not. Angels are spiritual beings and were created as Gods messengers and servants. :roll: God Bless

But they're both holy so they both get the title.
--Ann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:59 am 

spokenword wrote:
Fruitbat wrote:
spokenword wrote:
Saints are different than Angels. Saints were created from earthly dust. Angels were not. Angels are spiritual beings and were created as Gods messengers and servants. :roll: God Bless

But they're both holy so they both get the title.
--Ann
=============Hi Fruitbat, I agree they are both holy. :wink: BUT so is Jesus.,or is that St. Jesus. :roll: God Bless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:26 am 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Kenny wrote:
Does the Church actually officially recognise St Uriel as one of the Archangels? I always thought he was more of an apocryphal (but no less real) figure. He's also not mentioned in the Litany of the Saints.

He's included in the Chaplet of St. Michael and All the Angels.

This is the method of reciting the chaplet:

Quote:
The chaplet is begun by saying the following invocation on the Powerful Medal (Saint Benedict’s Medal):

O God, come to my assistance. O Lord, make haste to help me. Glory be, etc.

These are the nine salutations to be followed by one Our Father and three Hail Marys:

Following the nine salutations, pray one Our Father in honor of each of the following leading angels: Saint Michael, Saint Gabriel, Saint Raphael, and our Guardian Angel. Personally, I myself pray one Our Father in honor of the following four angels: Saint Michael, Saint Gabriel, Saint Uriel, and Saint Raphael; I requested that God make Uriel and Raphael my guardian angels. On the Guardian Angel Medal I say an additional Our Father for my personal Guardian Angel whose name I do not know.

He is mentioned in the Bible twice, if by function and not my name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:01 pm 
Adept
Adept

Uriel appears in the apocalypse variously known as II Esdras, or IV Ezra, etc., which used to be included in an appendix of Catholic Bibles, but lately has been left out. Uriel also appears in other apocryphal Jewish writings, such as I Enoch, and in some texts he is called Ariel instead of Uriel -- but no canonical, inspired writing mentions him. Consequently, the Church doesn't have any solid evidence for his existence the way she does for the other three archangels -- and that is probably why the Feast of the Archangels honors only Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael. That's not to say he is purely fictitious, of course.

I praise Thee for all things, I bless Thee, I glorify Thee, with the everlasting and heavenly Jesus Christ, Thy beloved Son, with whom, to Thee, and the Holy Spirit, be glory both now and to all coming ages. Amen. -- St. Polycarp's prayer of thanksgiving at his martyrdom, 156 A.D.

Baby No. 8 is on the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:41 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Polycarp wrote:
Uriel appears in the apocalypse variously known as II Esdras, or IV Ezra, etc., which used to be included in an appendix of Catholic Bibles, but lately has been left out. Uriel also appears in other apocryphal Jewish writings, such as I Enoch, and in some texts he is called Ariel instead of Uriel -- but no canonical, inspired writing mentions him. Consequently, the Church doesn't have any solid evidence for his existence the way she does for the other three archangels -- and that is probably why the Feast of the Archangels honors only Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael. That's not to say he is purely fictitious, of course.

There is Scriptural evidence for the Angel of Death (Exodus, Revelation), so the Angel of Death certainly exists.

But assigning the name of Uriel to the Angel of Death is only via the unispired sources you mentioned.

So , in general, Catholic fully acknowledge existance of the Angel of Death, and out of small 't' tradition refer to him as St. Uriel.

One of my hopes is to some day pick up the sports section and read about some Catholic school somewhere named the St. Uriel Smiters winning a championship ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2