Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 41 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:08 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic :)
The hospital will call a priest for you?!?!?

I had to go to the hospital when I first returned to the Church. If I had known then, I would have called one myself or asked someone to call, but I was newly back and had only gotten a little bit of catechesis when I was young and didn't know.

And there's a church only about 1/2 mile away from the hopsital.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:11 am 
matteo d'basio wrote:
On the general issue of "calling the priest" when someone is dying or thought to be dying. The priest anoints the person, conferring the sacrament of the anointing of the sick. If the person is conscious, the priest may hear his confession. If the person desires spiritual support, the priest may encourage the person. But all this, to be effective, requires contrition. The sacraments work, but they are not magic. They require an interior disposition on the part of the recipient in order for the grace of the sacrament to be conferred. When a magician pulls a rabbit out of a hat, the rabbit has nothing to say in the matter. When absolution, anointing, and Holy Communion are given, they are true sacraments, but their effect on the recipient may be stymied or nullified by the lack of interior disposition.

When priests are called to hospitals and death beds, we assume the contrition of any unconscious person, and we try to encourage and support patients who can respond. And we try to console the family.

None of this is easy. Would CeeLee prefer that we stay at home? Or inquire about whether the patient has contributed to the church lately?

I attended the annointing of an unconscious person last Saturday. The interior disposition was unknown except that the family requested it and indicated that the patient would have wanted it. What is the effect of this sacrament?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:24 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Sparky wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
TP wrote:
Greetings,

Apparently you have never tried to get a hold of a priest on a monday. Never get shot on a monday.

peace

This summer, our diocesan sems got a presentation from the nurse who runs hospice care for a local hospital. She said she will find you, even if it means hauling you off a golf course (which she has done).

Hey, Geoff, I've been meaning to ask you - when will you be ordained? Just want to make sure I can make it. :)
--Ann

God willing, in 2008.

The bad news is that our cathedral is small, so many people will have to settle for First Mass invitations.

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:52 am 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
TP wrote:
Greetings,

Apparently you have never tried to get a hold of a priest on a monday. Never get shot on a monday.

peace

This summer, our diocesan sems got a presentation from the nurse who runs hospice care for a local hospital. She said she will find you, even if it means hauling you off a golf course (which she has done).

Hey, Geoff, I've been meaning to ask you - when will you be ordained? Just want to make sure I can make it. :)
--Ann

God willing, in 2008.

The bad news is that our cathedral is small, so many people will have to settle for First Mass invitations.

Darn, I've never seen an ordination....but I do understand.

Need a soloist for that first mass? :D I've sung two first masses already! I can send you an audition CD!

--Ann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:37 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Philothea wrote:
The hospital will call a priest for you?!?!?

They should, if they know that you are Catholic. That is why they ask you your religious affiliation.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:07 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
A very important point:

In Illinois (and probably elsewhere), the hospital cannot legally tell anyone you're there without your permission or that of a family member. Make sure that permission is given, or call the parish yourself. Father can't visit (for Last Rites or Anointing of the Sick or communion calls or anything else) if he doesn't know you're there.

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:59 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Trogdor wrote:
I attended the annointing of an unconscious person last Saturday. The interior disposition was unknown except that the family requested it and indicated that the patient would have wanted it. What is the effect of this sacrament?

Priests assume the good intention of an unconscious person, unless there is definite reason to believe otherwise. In the case you mention, there is good reason to believe that the uncounscious person would have asked for the sacrament if he had been able to do so. When the patient would have desired the anointing, if he were conscious, it has its full effect. But if the patient would have refused the anointing, it would still be a validly administered sacrament, but the interior disposition of the patient would impede the grace of the sacrament.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:01 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

On the point of whether hospitals call the priest: some do and some don't. As Obi wrote above, the HIPA federal privacy law that was enacted about 2 years ago made some hospitals wary of cooperating too much with clergy. Other hospitals have unfortunate experiences of their patients being "sitting ducks" for proslytism by unethical persons. It is always best to call your parish directly. And it is important to be aware of your hospital's policy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:07 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

My wife and I each carry a card stating "I am a Catholic - in case of an emergency please call a priest." Or some language like that.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:11 am 
matteo d'basio wrote:
Trogdor wrote:

Priests assume the good intention of an unconscious person, unless there is definite reason to believe otherwise. In the case you mention, there is good reason to believe that the uncounscious person would have asked for the sacrament if he had been able to do so. When the patient would have desired the anointing, if he were conscious, it has its full effect. But if the patient would have refused the anointing, it would still be a validly administered sacrament, but the interior disposition of the patient would impede the grace of the sacrament.

Father, thanks for the response. I have not studied this sacrament as well I as I should have (will take sacramental theology next year) . What is the "full effect"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:15 am 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
My wife and I each carry a card stating "I am a Catholic - in case of an emergency please call a priest." Or some language like that.

On the visor of my car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:21 am 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
A very important point:

Father can't visit (for Last Rites or Anointing of the Sick or communion calls or anything else) if he doesn't know you're there.

Please spread this to other Catholics who do not frequent this board. I've had people threaten to leave the Church because they were majorly peeved that Aunt Mildred wasn't visited. I just want to say "I'm sorry Fr. and I turned off our crystal balls." I have no idea how people think the Church is just supposed to know.

Steph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:23 am 
Master
Master

TP wrote:
Greetings,

peace

::): There is a grain of truth to that Fr.

My boss's day off is Tuesday, so don't get sick on a Tuesday.

The priests' convocation is going on right now. All the clergy are in Charleston. I hope no one in the rest of the diocese needs last rites until Friday.

Steph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:31 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

I'm always worried that I'm going to get really sick during the Chrism Mass. ::):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:40 am 
Master
Master

dcs wrote:
I'm always worried that I'm going to get really sick during the Chrism Mass. ::):

My former boss wouldn't participate in anything. Then he'd complain that he got all the sick calls!

I love my job. Really.

Steph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:58 am 
Deceased

dcs wrote:

Well, if you manage to survive until it is over and your church's supply arrives back, you'll have really fresh oil with which to be anointed.

Is there special grace for the first one anointed with the new oil of the sick, sort of like for the first baby of the new year?

Edward Pothier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:39 am 
Well as it is a sacrament it is very meaningfull to put it.

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Call the priest?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:41 am 
CeeLee wrote:
You know how hospitals have priests on call for when someone's going to die? What is the purpose of that? A person could just screw around their whole life, sin beyond belief, get shot or something and then right when they're about to die in a hospital, have the priest cleanse them or whatever and then they'll supposidly go up to heaven? Is that what it's for? Isn't that's pretty much telling people, don't bother being a good catholic, you'll go up to heaven anyway? Or, is that even the point of it?

-Carrie

No, a Priest forgiving a sinner before he dies does not mean that you can do whatever you want in your life and that before you die you confess and the you are a Saint.

The reall purpose for that is that God has huge love and mercy for all of us, if he didn't have love and mercy he wouldn't have sended his beloved son to die for us!

So by this if that evil guy who has been shot or whatever goes to an hospital, even thought hes is going to die he deserves a second chance, he deserves also to go to heaven as he is also a son of God, a lamb, a sinner worth of mercy and forgiveness.

Many times we only think about justice and unjustice, but we also have to touch our hearts and think that when we die, befor we die, we will want also to have the mercy and forginess from God as we sometimes act in a very bad way.

Post subject: Re: Call the priest?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:23 pm 

CeeLee wrote:
You know how hospitals have priests on call for when someone's going to die? What is the purpose of that? A person could just screw around their whole life, sin beyond belief, get shot or something and then right when they're about to die in a hospital, have the priest cleanse them or whatever and then they'll supposidly go up to heaven? Is that what it's for? Isn't that's pretty much telling people, don't bother being a good catholic, you'll go up to heaven anyway? Or, is that even the point of it?

-Carrie

Hi Carrie-

Your attitude sounds like that of Jonah. He preached to Ninevah, then was disappointed when they turned-- he wanted to see them judged/burned. You should read the Old Teastament Book of Jonah... I think you'll find some of the answer there for you...

If it wasn't for the grace of God, none of us would make it. Don't ever start thinking that you somehow earned any good standing that you have before God. It's only because of Christ that anyone can have a relationship with God. It's by His blood that we have forgiveness, and access to the Father.

...Bernie

<edited by administrator to remove URL>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:27 pm 
Adept
Adept

Also keep in mind the parable of the laborers called to the vineyard at differing times during the day. They were rewarded for their works, whether they had been doing these works all day, or only for a bit. The Lord is indeed merciful.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 41 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next