Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: So what is some of the Catholic organizations out there?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:46 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
I have been planning on getting involved in some type of Catholic organization this year, but I am unsure what is all available to me. I know of the Knights of Columbus and of the Legion of Mary, but is there anything else?

One thing that worries me about joining a KoT nearby is that there Church is almost down the street from me and I am afraid I will be asked why I attend a Church that is like 10 miles away rather than there Church. I think there Church is to new age for me, I felt uncomfortable the first time I attended there Mass.

Any ideas? I would really like to get involved in something that fights against abortion.

Thank you.

http://www.latinmass.org

Pray for the Latin Rite liturgy!

Prayers for baby Luukas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:28 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Hi Adam,

I would hesitate joining any of the parish groups if they are into weird liturgies....chances are the same spirit will carry over into their parish groups.

Let me think about it some more.

God bless,
Debbie

Post subject: Re: So what is some of the Catholic organizations out there?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:50 pm 
The Puppet wrote:

Any ideas? I would really like to get involved in something that fights against abortion.

Thank you.

The KoC is a great organization (I'm biased because I am one) and we fight against abortion.

I agree with you about joining any church that doesn't seem right to you. My wife and I moved several times within the past few years and we always "shopped" for a Catholic Church. We went to one that had 2 jumbo screens above the altar just out from the crucifix...so when you looked at it it seemed like Jesus was holding 2 t.v. screens. It had a clock in the back, no kneelers, a mini rock band, and a sound system that piped out non-sacred music. No slam against the Baptist faith, but I felt like I had stepped into my in-law's church.

Just look for the church is right for you and the KoC that you feel comfortable in.

Also, don't forget about the ST. Vincent DePaul Society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:59 am 
Master
Master

Why not start with a Bible Study group?

Post subject: Re: So what is some of the Catholic organizations out there?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:51 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
The Puppet wrote:

You may want to visit Priestforlife.org. My fiance and I had the pleasure of meeting Fr. Pravone on Mercy Sunday in Irvine, Ca and Fr. Pravone said they are always looking for help from all over the country to get the pro-life word and work out. In fact, Paul and I are going to be looking into what we can do as husband and wife. Check them out! Click here to see what you can do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:32 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You might want to get involved in your parish. Many parishes have pro-life groups, and there are other groups you can join. There are groups that are affiliated with religious orders: benedictine oblates; franciscan and dominican "secular" order, etc. The St. Vincent de Paul Society works with the poor. The Holy Name Society exists in many places. There are Padre Pio prayer groups in many places.