All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Morality of betting for cash
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:31 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Is betting wrong?
Is sports betting wrong?

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

Post subject: Re: Morality of betting for cash
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:44 pm 
Grand WaZOOM college bowl game picker.

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
It is not intrinsically wrong. Many Catholic churches have bingo, 50-50s, and other wagering games.

It can become wrong if you do it solely to make a quick buck, or if it harms your ability to meet your financial obligations.

Here is a link I found:

http://catholicstraightanswers.com/what ... -gambling/

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:58 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
There is nothing morally wrong with using one's superfluous wealth to gamble, but it is not the most productive use of your money.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:23 pm 
Highness
Highness

Religion: Christian
The odds of winning the average Powerball lottery are the same for every ticket. No matter how many you purchase. They are approximately the same as someone randomly pointing at a specific name from a list the size of 7 New York City telephone directories.

If I had the choice of dinner and a show vs spending the same amount in a slot machine ... I choose the first option.

But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:23 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
i actually checked with my priest before i went to one of the sin city places where gambling was available (i was a new Catholic at the time) ... his answer somewhat rivaled zoom's ... as long as you are doing it for entertainment and the amount you use to "entertain" yourself does not infringe upon or impede your ability to meet your financial obligations then go enjoy yourself

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:56 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Looking for answers
EtcumSpiri22-0 wrote:

If I had the choice of dinner and a show vs spending the same amount in a slot machine ... I choose the first option.

It depends on the show. If the show was Cats, I’d choose the slot machine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:28 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
:laughhard are you referring to the play or the recently released motion picture? 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:43 pm 

I have won 50/50 drawings on a couple of occasions. Not a huge payout, but enough to buy myself dinner out once or twice.

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:31 pm 
King of Cool

faithfulservant wrote:
:laughhard are you referring to the play or the recently released motion picture? 8-)

Does it matter?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:55 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

faithfulservant wrote:

I mean the stage musical which I saw five years ago in London. I can’t understand why it’s so popular. The dance routines are good but I’d seen enough after about 20 minutes, it got extremely boring after that, I couldn’t wait till it was over. The songs are mediocre, only one famously good one, which in the production I saw was milked, sung three times in different parts. Worst of all, there were no characters, nobody you cared about. Compared to any other musical I have seen, it was bland, compared to, for example, Oliver!, Grease, Oklahoma!, My Fair Lady, Kiss Me Kate, West Side Story, too many to name apart from just one more, Guys And Dolls, to get this thread back on topic!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:38 pm 
King of Cool

Denise Dee wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

I mean the stage musical which I saw five years ago in London. I can’t understand why it’s so popular. The dance routines are good but I’d seen enough after about 20 minutes, it got extremely boring after that, I couldn’t wait till it was over. The songs are mediocre, only one famously good one, which in the production I saw was milked, sung three times in different parts. Worst of all, there were no characters, nobody you cared about. Compared to any other musical I have seen, it was bland, compared to, for example, Oliver!, Grease, Oklahoma!, My Fair Lady, Kiss Me Kate, West Side Story, too many to name apart from just one more, Guys And Dolls, to get this thread back on topic!

The stage production was popular because it was the first really big EVENT mega musical. It was this huge mess of spectacle in an era when even big Broadway productions were smaller. It has been compared to Star Wars or Jaws or even The Godfather, one of those huge blockbuster movies where the appeal is more the spectacle than the actual story and as a result change the entire industry.

Ever since Cats, the big mega musical has become so common that Cats no longer seems as revolutionary as it was when it was first released. After Cats, came similar mega musicals like Les Miserables, The Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon or Rent. What was revolutionary for it's time has now become standard.

Last edited by Doom on Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:31 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Doom wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

The stage production was popular because it was the first really big EVENT mega musical. It was this huge mess of spectacle in an era when even big Broadway productions were smaller. It has been compared to Star Wars or Jaws or even The Godfather, one of those huge blockbuster movies where the appeal is more the spectacle than the actual story and as a result change the entire industry.

Ever since Cats, the big mega musical has become so common that Cats no longer seems as revolutionary as it was when it was first released. After Cats, came similar mega musicals like Les Miserables, The Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon or Rent. What was February story the time is not become standard.

That all made sense up until the last sentence. :scratch:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:45 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
All your base are belong to us.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:14 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Cats (as a Broadway musical) might also seem kind of dated now - it made sense in the era of spandex, leg warmers, and big hair. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:56 am 
King of Cool

Denise Dee wrote:
Doom wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

Ever since Cats, the big mega musical has become so common that Cats no longer seems as revolutionary as it was when it was first released. After Cats, came similar mega musicals like Les Miserables, The Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon or Rent. What was February story the time is not become standard.

Read it again....that was voice recognition....which even in 2020 is spectacularly bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:47 pm 

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
All your base are belong to us.

You have no chance to survive make your time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:17 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Doom wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Doom wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

Read it again....that was voice recognition....which even in 2020 is spectacularly bad.

It was fine until the last sentence. I used to have a Samsung galaxy phone which had terrible hilariously bad voice recognition but now I've got an iPhone which is very good as shown by this voice recognition post with no mistakes. It works well as long as you speak clearly.