Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Contrition?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:37 am 

Religion: Converting
What does contrition feel like? How do you know when you have it?
I read psalm 50 (51) and I don't really have any sort of feeling of contrition like St David must have had.
How do you feel it?

Post subject: Re: Contrition?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:28 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Purpose of amendment.
Recognize that what you did was wrong and have the intention to go away from sin.

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:14 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Right. Contrition isn't a feeling at all.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:17 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

CCC

Quote:
Contrition

1451 Among the penitent's acts contrition occupies first place. Contrition is "sorrow of the soul and detestation for the sin committed, together with the resolution not to sin again."50

1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called "perfect" (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.51

1453 The contrition called "imperfect" (or "attrition") is also a gift of God, a prompting of the Holy Spirit. It is born of the consideration of sin's ugliness or the fear of eternal damnation and the other penalties threatening the sinner (contrition of fear). Such a stirring of conscience can initiate an interior process which, under the prompting of grace, will be brought to completion by sacramental absolution. By itself however, imperfect contrition cannot obtain the forgiveness of grave sins, but it disposes one to obtain forgiveness in the sacrament of Penance.

"End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:33 am 

If sorrow is not a feeling than this definition I found on google is wrong?

a feeling of deep distress caused by loss, disappointment, or other misfortune suffered by oneself or others.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:07 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

That's not the definition in the context of confession.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:31 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
That's not the definition in the context of confession.

That'd what I thought as well, that there's a distinction between "feeling" as used in common parlance vs. "feeling" used in this context

Meaning that sorrow is a movement of the soul based on the judgement of conscience, that may have with it some associated emotions such as sadness and/or guilt.

Rather than a "feeling" being just the sensation resulting from some physical stimuli.

"End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:35 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Contrition isn't a feeling at all in the confessional context.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:41 am 

The pain or distress experienced because of some adversity that is felt personally. The sorrow may be over a loss or misfortune for which a person feels guilty, as in the case of sin; or the sorrow may be totally vicarious, out of compassion for someone else. Essential to the notion of sorrow is that it refers to what has already happened and its painful effects are still experienced. (Etym. Middle English sorge, sorrow; Old English sorh, sorg, anxiety, sorrow.)
https://www.catholicculture.org/culture ... m?id=36565

We should feel pain or distress? Why would a Catholic definition focus on feelings?
So if I do not feel anything I cannot have real sorrow?
This definition says I should feel some kind of pain. Why? I thought the Church wasn't feeling based. I am confused!
If I understand Fulton Sheen correctly guilt can even be experienced as a psychological illness. He talks about McBeth. But I am not sure everone really have to feel a lot. We might have some feeling but I think sorrow is beyond feelings.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:53 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Contrition isn't a feeling at all in the confessional context.
:fyi:

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:08 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
A word can have different meanings in a technical field and in common parlance.

Speaking from my own field, once the professor asked the intern "What is the attitude" and he replied "They're complaining too much" when actually the question was about a bone fracture. ::):

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:47 am 

Jack3 wrote:
A word can have different meanings in a technical field and in common parlance.

Speaking from my own field, once the professor asked the intern "What is the attitude" and he replied "They're complaining too much" when actually the question was about a bone fracture. ::):

So the definition of sorrow from the catholic dictionary has nothing do with sorrow in Confession?
And where in the CCC is "sorrow of the soul" defined?
This is what I hate about the CCC. It just say a lot of stuff without explaining it?
Am I just supposed to understamd difficult philosophical terms like "sorrow of the souls"? Am I stupid as this is supposed to be understand by everyone?
The CCC is not written for people without philosophical studuies.