Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Communion with Rome
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:40 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic
In regards to the below.

Particularly what is required to remain in communion with Rome.

Is it not believe in all the Church's dogmas?

Light of the East wrote:
Uh huh....boy, you done done it now!
So what you are saying is that if I was living in the time when Limbus Infantium was a teaching of the Church, I was bound to believe that God sends unbaptized babies to hell to suffer forever? A teaching, which BTW, has now been discarded.
You are saying that I have to believe that the Scriptures state that God is love, but I have to believe that God is an angry deity who will punish you forever for wrong thoughts about Him?
And then there is the whole issue of what exactly constitutes the Catholic Church? Is it the teachings of the Roman Rite in particular, because within communion of the 24 churches in communion with Rome, there are churches that don't or teach certain things which the Roman Church demands of its citizens. For instance, there is no reference whatsoever in the Ukrainian Catholic Catechism regarding Indulgences. We don't do indulgences. My Melkite spiritual director is very Orthodox, which means that in the Melkite Church, for instance, after you confess your sins to the priest, you do not get a "penance" because Eastern Catholics don't do penances.
Our Patriarch, His Holiness Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk, recently stated that the UCC is "....fully Orthodox in theology, doctrine, praxis, and Liturgy." This means, if you take this at face value, that I hold to all the teachings of Holy Orthodoxy, some of which are in direct contradiction to that which Rome teaches, such as the Immaculate Conception, Purgatory, etc. Yet our body is "in communion with Rome" (I don't know how this is really possible, since the phrase "in communion" means that you have the same and identical set of beliefs, but nonetheless) and therefore is part of the 24 church communion which is referred to as "the Catholic Church." Maybe someone can 'splain that to me.
So what exactly does one have to believe to not be wrong? What is the heart of the Gospel message and the message about Christ? I have some ideas, but I will wait for responses to this post.

Post subject: Re: Communion with Rome
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:48 pm 

Religion: Latin Catholic
The problem here is the phrase 'communion with Rome'. It should be 'communion with the Bishop of Rome', as the 20+ sui juris churches that make up the Catholic Church all accept the authority of the Pope over them (an authority that the Pope rarely uses).