Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Race as different Modes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:54 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic
“Birds of a feather should stick together”

I recall working in Taco Bell long ago and the manager whom I thought was rather nice to me (only relevant in that we are not the same ethnicity) telling me she believes in not mixing with other kinds. At worst, I thought it sounded awfully racist, but had dealt with her enough to not make that conclusion about her. It seemed like such an odd thing to me. Didn’t think much of it since until……recently read someone say that human beings are divided into races, and that some of those races pass in and out of existence and that they each have a purpose and a mode.... sort of like the choirs of angels.

I can’t help but think given human history how this can turn ugly rather quickly.

Is there any merit to this?

Post subject: Re: Race as different Modes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:10 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Not that I can see.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:37 pm 
Master
Master

Ok....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:02 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I wasn't aware of any race other than the human race...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:40 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
I understand, especially in small, ethnic communities where their traditions, customs, belief are waning, a desire to not be swallowed up... Which means, of course, either not marrying outside the group or requiring any would be spouse to convert, as it were.

The fact is races, nations, languages have always been in flux. Red headed celts were likely from Anatolia (and Turks are from the Eastern steppes), and Polynesian s from Taiwan (and most Taiwanese now from China). Some of the oldest living languages are endangered now. But whole cultures show the mark of swallowing up others... Hindi is Indo-European, but adopted many Dravidic peculiarities that hide its relation to its European cousins.

We may lament the loss of unique expressions, cultures, traditions, but they are not permanent as such. "Race", if that means an actual people, with its own story etc, is just a family tree writ large. And as with all branches off of the trunk of Adam, eventually parts get lost to time, grafted on other parts, etc. We should cherish our histories, our ancestors and our people, without fearing that in a few generations there will be a different history

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:26 am 
Master
Master

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
I understand, especially in small, ethnic communities where their traditions, customs, belief are waning, a desire to not be swallowed up... Which means, of course, either not marrying outside the group or requiring any would be spouse to convert, as it were.

The fact is races, nations, languages have always been in flux. Red headed celts were likely from Anatolia (and Turks are from the Eastern steppes), and Polynesian s from Taiwan (and most Taiwanese now from China). Some of the oldest living languages are endangered now. But whole cultures show the mark of swallowing up others... Hindi is Indo-European, but adopted many Dravidic peculiarities that hide its relation to its European cousins.

We may lament the loss of unique expressions, cultures, traditions, but they are not permanent as such. "Race", if that means an actual people, with its own story etc, is just a family tree writ large. And as with all branches off of the trunk of Adam, eventually parts get lost to time, grafted on other parts, etc. We should cherish our histories, our ancestors and our people, without fearing that in a few generations there will be a different history

This sounds more like ethnicity to me, rather than race. That……….I can understand more. However, I suspect in the most recent encounter it was meant more as a phenotypical concern. I understand even at that level one wants to relate to others where it is most obvious. One doesn’t want to be the only red-headed freckled albino in Africa for example or a small minority thereof. But in this case, you aren’t even really talking about a small group or even an extinct race. I was just trying to contemplate if there is a healthy way of seeing this without it manifesting itself in the common ways it has in history.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:57 am 
There Can Be Only One

Race is a biological construct. Culture is a social construct. We have been indoctrinated to think that culture = race. It doesn't. But, some cultures maintain that race explains various personal and sub-cultural ills.

Oh, and if a member of one race can breed with a member of another race, then they are members of the same species. And, I posit, the same "race".

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:58 pm 
Master
Master

Highlander wrote:
Race is a biological construct. Culture is a social construct. We have been indoctrinated to think that culture = race. It doesn't. But, some cultures maintain that race explains various personal and sub-cultural ills.

Oh, and if a member of one race can breed with a member of another race, then they are members of the same species. And, I posit, the same "race".

Is culture and ethnicity synonymous?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:45 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Dominic wrote:
Highlander wrote:

No. I don't know why, but "no". It seems that ethnicity is construct that links "race" and culture -- with some bond that is more political than scientific.

Let us examine the case of the Chinese orphan and the Ethiopian orphan adopted in infancy by someone known to me. Now, in their adolescence they are culturally 'Mericans, though genetically they are not at all. I posit that many would argue that they are ethnically Chinese or Ethiopian. But they aren't.

Another example is the politically tainted and oft misused statement that one drop of black blood makes one black -- and then ascribing meaning to that statement by bringing in references to United Stated slavery ... many of which are patently false, but which possess political currency. One drop of blood is simply one drop of homo sapiens blood ... refined by various blood types which have certain genetic distributions. Thus, in a massive transfusion, all of "black" blood, one Swede does not become black.

I suppose my answer would be to ask for a definition of "ethnicity". I doubt one could deliver a definition that is commonly accepted and not tainted with political influences.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:24 am 
Master
Master

Highlander wrote:
Dominic wrote:
Highlander wrote:

No. I don't know why, but "no". It seems that ethnicity is construct that links "race" and culture -- with some bond that is more political than scientific.

Let us examine the case of the Chinese orphan and the Ethiopian orphan adopted in infancy by someone known to me. Now, in their adolescence they are culturally 'Mericans, though genetically they are not at all. I posit that many would argue that they are ethnically Chinese or Ethiopian. But they aren't.

Another example is the politically tainted and oft misused statement that one drop of black blood makes one black -- and then ascribing meaning to that statement by bringing in references to United Stated slavery ... many of which are patently false, but which possess political currency. One drop of blood is simply one drop of homo sapiens blood ... refined by various blood types which have certain genetic distributions. Thus, in a massive transfusion, all of "black" blood, one Swede does not become black.

I suppose my answer would be to ask for a definition of "ethnicity". I doubt one could deliver a definition that is commonly accepted and not tainted with political influences.

Leaving politics aside, people ultimately gravitate toward ethnicity above all else; above any phenotypical characteristics. And that's important because it tells us something about ourselves.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:32 am 
There Can Be Only One

I don't know that is a definition of ethnicity. And, it occurs to me, that attempts to define ethnicity are often circular. Which may illuminate the issue that ethnicity is whatever one wants it to be .... especially ideologically.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:14 am 
Master
Master

Highlander wrote:
I don't know that is a definition of ethnicity. And, it occurs to me, that attempts to define ethnicity are often circular. Which may illuminate the issue that ethnicity is whatever one wants it to be .... especially ideologically.

I think it's important to distinguish things that are in vogue and is not rooted in something substantial. Eminem trying to be part of the black ethos isn't enough to reexamine definitions. It may be bringing an entirely new one into existence.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:08 am 
There Can Be Only One

You mean that, if I identify as black, then I am? That leads to things like GKC identifying as a 22 year old, culturally Albanian, genetically Ainu, Tagalog speaking, woman who likes to dress as a man who smokes pipes and reads books -- you'll have to ask him although his explanation will be torturous.

Actually, I identify as a stinking rich person. Your bill will arrive shortly.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:15 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
You mean that, if I identify as black, then I am? That leads to things like GKC identifying as a 22 year old, culturally Albanian, genetically Ainu, Tagalog speaking, woman who likes to dress as a man who smokes pipes and reads books -- you'll have to ask him although his explanation will be torturous.

I am indeed one who identifies as a 22 year old. Except that causes conflict and stress problems when I contemplate my 46 year old daughter. I need special consideration and safe places, at my demand, wherever I go.

As to the other points, I am in flux, currently. Except for the pipes and books bit.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:53 am 
Master
Master

Highlander wrote:

What I'm saying is that things come in and out of existence. And when they do, it happens en mass..........not when Whitey McShmigit decides he wants to be black.

The Afrikkans is a better example.