Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 4   [ 72 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Dying while wrong
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:55 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic
My wife (who recently joined the board: Ret_I_cent) and I have been discussing the angst and pains we see many Catholics going through in the Church. It affects us all and it is somewhat comforting that this isn’t the first time the Church finds itself in disarray. That it’s been able to come out of it, time and time again. The disarray doesn’t always look the same and in many ways, it looks the worst now. Although I do recall a Council where priests were in altercations. The media machine makes things worse so there is that. Nonetheless, it is real. I see it and feel it as do we all.

One of the joys and peace about becoming Catholic (from Protestantism) is we don’t need to worry about being theologians or not having a solution to every quarrel; at least those things that matter.

However, as of late, Catholicism doesn’t look any different than Protestantism. You have some Catholics leaning more right and others more left in a linear spectrum. And it’s not just political in nature, but overlaps on how we see liturgy, theology, doctrine, etc.

This may not be news to many, but it is to some and it’s more obvious than ever.

So the questions arose………

Can a catholic die in good standing while being wrong about vital aspects of the faith? Vital as in big D doctrine or dogma. (I think I know the answer to this but wanted to discuss)

Where does a catholic look to when the Church’s authoritative documents are being argued by the clergy and those in authority? For a section of time, one could say it’s really no different than Protestantism in that there is confusion and you don’t know where to go. Only difference is you have way more documents to go through in Catholicism.

Which ultimately means you can have an entire sector of Catholics be wrong about something.

Which isn’t new.

Post subject: Re: Dying while wrong
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:30 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Oh, the Church is much, much different than Protestantism. But, admittedly, alike in others.

When I was converting, the priest who was my mentor told me that if I was moving to the Church planning to escape the turmoil of my former church, I was going to be very disappointed.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:48 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
but hey, at least we haven't started ordaining women... or is that wimmen?.... yet

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:16 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Flannery O'Connor wrote:
I think that the Church is the only thing that is going to make the terrible world we are coming to endurable; the only thing that makes the Church endurable is that it is somehow the body of Christ and that on this we are fed. It seems to be a fact that you have to suffer as much from the Church as for it but if you believe in the divinity of Christ, you have to cherish the world at the same time that you struggle to endure it.
(From her first letter to an anonymous correspondent, July 20, 1955)

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:26 am 
There Can Be Only One

faithfulservant wrote:
but hey, at least we haven't started ordaining women... or is that wimmen?.... yet

After the Amazon Synod will there not be a Synod for Amazons?

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:25 pm 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Flannery O'Connor wrote:
I think that the Church is the only thing that is going to make the terrible world we are coming to endurable; the only thing that makes the Church endurable is that it is somehow the body of Christ and that on this we are fed. It seems to be a fact that you have to suffer as much from the Church as for it but if you believe in the divinity of Christ, you have to cherish the world at the same time that you struggle to endure it.
(From her first letter to an anonymous correspondent, July 20, 1955)

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:31 pm 
Master
Master

Highlander wrote:
Oh, the Church is much, much different than Protestantism. But, admittedly, alike in others.

When I was converting, the priest who was my mentor told me that if I was moving to the Church planning to escape the turmoil of my former church, I was going to be very disappointed.

It's not so much the turmoil, but that it is only in the Church that you can find a solution to interpretational chaos.

And of course, I believe this.....but it becomes hard to see at times.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:01 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

faithfulservant wrote:

I have more often seen "womyn" than "wimmen." Your herstory might be different than mine, however.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:08 pm 
There Can Be Only One

St. Irenaeus of Lyons wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

I have more often seen "womyn" than "wimmen." Your herstory might be different than mine, however.

Hush your patriarchal mutterings. I think all womxn agree with me.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:49 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Looking for answers
Dominic wrote:
My wife (who recently joined the board: Ret_I_cent) and I have been discussing the angst and pains we see many Catholics going through in the Church. It affects us all and it is somewhat comforting that this isn’t the first time the Church finds itself in disarray. That it’s been able to come out of it, time and time again. The disarray doesn’t always look the same and in many ways, it looks the worst now. Although I do recall a Council where priests were in altercations. The media machine makes things worse so there is that. Nonetheless, it is real. I see it and feel it as do we all.

One of the joys and peace about becoming Catholic (from Protestantism) is we don’t need to worry about being theologians or not having a solution to every quarrel; at least those things that matter.

However, as of late, Catholicism doesn’t look any different than Protestantism. You have some Catholics leaning more right and others more left in a linear spectrum. And it’s not just political in nature, but overlaps on how we see liturgy, theology, doctrine, etc.

This may not be news to many, but it is to some and it’s more obvious than ever.

Can a catholic die in good standing while being wrong about vital aspects of the faith? Vital as in big D doctrine or dogma.

What would Jesus say?

What did Jesus say?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:28 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
The Lord knows what is in their hearts, whether they are culpable or not.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:37 pm 
Master
Master

Denise Dee wrote:
Dominic wrote:

Can a catholic die in good standing while being wrong about vital aspects of the faith? Vital as in big D doctrine or dogma.

What would Jesus say?

What did Jesus say?

I do not know.

However,…I do know this. This is not something unique to us or that somehow other religions or groups are immune from this. It has been forever the inclination of people to just leave from wherever they were (theist and non-theist alike) to something else; and there are ample examples of that in history. What has splitting and leaving done exactly? No need to go very far, just look at what happens within families. That isn’t to say we just do nothing, but if history has shown us anything, it is that Catholics need no introduction to arguing and wrestling it out. We seem to be good at that.

On second thought………..I think Jesus would say:

John 6
67………. “Do you also want to leave?”
68 Simon Peter answered him, “Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.
69 We have come to believe and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God.”

There is nowhere else to go. No one else to go to. There is just looking at Him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:26 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Denise Dee wrote:
What did Jesus say?

"He who does not believe will be condemned." (Mark 16:16)

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:01 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Dominic wrote:
John 6
67………. “Do you also want to leave?”
68 Simon Peter answered him, “Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.
69 We have come to believe and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God.”

There is nowhere else to go. No one else to go to. There is just looking at Him.

Very insightful. As I looked around, and continue to look around, the various Christian sects, and as I compare and contrast them to the Church, I conclude...

There is nowhere else to go.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:34 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Peregrinator wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
What did Jesus say?

He who does not believe what exactly? Jesus was not referring to believing in everything, so what exactly was he referring to?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:21 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Denise Dee wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
What did Jesus say?

He who does not believe what exactly? Jesus was not referring to believing in everything, so what exactly was he referring to?

Himself, His Resurrection.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:57 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Signum Crucis wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
What did Jesus say?

And that is not an answer to Dominic's question, is it? As I'm only allowed to ask questions in this forum, that's all I've got to say.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:43 am 
Master
Master

Denise Dee wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
What did Jesus say?

Respectfully, this seems like an odd thing to say. Relationships by default are conditional and it would be abnormal for someone to say, “I’m only going to subscribe to some of the things that make this relationship work”. Unless of course you don’t equate what the Catholic Church officially teaches to who God is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:50 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Denise Dee wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
What did Jesus say?

And that is not an answer to Dominic's question, is it? As I'm only allowed to ask questions in this forum, that's all I've got to say.

I wasn't answering Dominic, I was answering you. :fyi:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:14 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Signum Crucis wrote:
I wasn't answering Dominic, I was answering you. :fyi:

I fully understand that, Signum. I wasn't questioning your answer. I was pointing out that Peregrinator's answer was in no way an answer to Dominic's question.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 4   [ 72 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next