Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: fake PF quote - sound?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Quote:
You can have flaws, be anxious, and even angry, but do not forget that your life is the greatest enterprise in the world. Only you can stop it from going bust. Many appreciate you, admire you and love you.
Remember that to be happy is not to have a sky without a storm, a road without accidents, work without fatigue, relationships without disappointments.

To be happy is to find strength in forgiveness, hope in battles, security in the stage of fear, love in discord. It is not only to enjoy the smile, but also to reflect on the sadness. It is not only to celebrate the successes, but to learn lessons from the failures. It is not only to feel happy with the applause, but to be happy in anonymity.

To be happy is to stop feeling like a victim and become your destiny’s author. It is to cross deserts, yet be able to find an oasis in the depths of your soul. It is to thank God for every morning, for the miracle of life.
Being happy is not being afraid of your own feelings. It is having the courage to hear a “no”. It is confidence in the face of criticism, even when unjustified. It is to kiss your children, pamper your parents, to live poetic moments with friends, even when they hurt us. To be happy is to let live the creature that lives in each of us, free, joyful and simple.

It is to have the maturity to be able to say: “I made mistakes”. It is to have the courage to say “I am sorry”. It is to have the sensitivity to say, “I need you”. It is to have the ability to say “I love you”.

May your life become a garden of opportunities for happiness. That in spring may it be a lover of joy. In winter, a lover of wisdom. And when you make a mistake, start all over again. For only then will you be in love with life.

You will find that to be happy is not to have a perfect life. But use the tears to irrigate tolerance. Use your losses to train patience. Use your mistakes to sculpt serenity. Use pain to plaster pleasure. Use obstacles to open windows of intelligence.

Never give up. Never give up on people who love you. Never give up on happiness, for life is an incredible show.

Widely wrongly attributed to Pope Francis.
Is the quote doctrinally sound?

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

Post subject: Re: fake PF quote - sound?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:27 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It doesn't sound like Pope Francis.

It does sound like fluff.

I didn't see anything wrong doctrinally with it, perhaps because it doesn't actually say much of anything.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:21 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

It is definitely not Pope Francis. I thought I had made that clear in the op and in the thread title. It is some Portuguese text attributed to some guy, but it's not certain that even this guy is the true author. It's doing the rounds in social media. I got it from a lot of people, starting several months ago. My father sent it in a forward (falsely) claiming it's his yesterday's UAE speech.

My concern is with "Only you can stop it from going bust.. To be happy is to.... become your destiny’s author...Being happy is not being afraid of your own feelings"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:48 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

As I said, fluff. Motivational speaker fluff. Bad motivational speaker fluff. It's so hard to say what (if anything) it actually means that it's not even wrong. It's just blah blah blah.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:46 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Funnily enough, one site mentions that a person read this passage attr PF and thought, "This is the Pope with the greatest spirituality since Peter" http://murderiseverywhere.blogspot.com/ ... omily.html
:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:05 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

:roll: indeed.

Need something to read?