The Catholic Message Board
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/

The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169627
Page 1 of 2

Author:  flyingaway [ Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:32 pm ]
Post subject:  The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

I started to read a book about "Pope Joan" who supposedly disguised her female gender from others and became pope but got pregnant, and when she had the child in the streets, the mob killed both of them.

There is a lot of misinformation out there and some say none of that stuff ever happened. The book I started is hard to read (a lot of names of people and places I have never heard of and the guy says things in a complicated way and maybe I have Attn Deficit or something because.. well, also I was skimming through it because I really have other things I have to get done and so.. not wanting to get into this book or t his topic much.. because I think it is just a fairy tale.

so, I am wondering what others know about this "story"?

(I find it hard to believe any mob would kill a baby in the interest of religion.. keeping Catholicism preserved or whatever.. but I guess stranger things...)

Author:  faithfulservant [ Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

you are correct in thinking it is a fairy tale :fyi:

Pope Benedict III might have something to say about that since his papacy occured at the time this urban legend was supposed to have taken place

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

It is a complete fabrication.

https://www.catholic.com/index.php/maga ... nt-go-away

Author:  faithfulservant [ Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

got to love those agendas... speaking of which, it is tiring to be preached at while watching a tv show.... madame secretary and law and order : svu are probably the worst that i have encountered... just last night chicago med entered the running by professing the anti-gun agenda :nooo: :nooo: :nooo:

Author:  flyingaway [ Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

faithfulservant wrote:
goot love those agendas... speaking of which, it is tiring to be preached at while watching a tv show.... madame secretary and law and order : svu are probably the worst that i have encountered... just last night chicago med entered the running by professing the anti-gun agenda :nooo: :nooo: :nooo:

no comprendo!

svu??

Author:  flyingaway [ Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

copied to read later. Thanks

like I said, the author of that one book says things in too c omplicated a way so I am a little lost reading it.. don't have time or inclination to re-read sentences 2 or 3 times to try to get stuff

Author:  faithfulservant [ Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

flyingaway wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
goot love those agendas... speaking of which, it is tiring to be preached at while watching a tv show.... madame secretary and law and order : svu are probably the worst that i have encountered... just last night chicago med entered the running by professing the anti-gun agenda :nooo: :nooo: :nooo:

no comprendo!

svu??


one of the two or three continuations from the original show.... this one is special victims unit , thus svu

Author:  Doom [ Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

It is not true, but it is theorized by some historians that the legend arose as an attempt to explain why Papal processions in Rome never went down a certain street. The real reason is that the street was too narrow, but, as so often happens, conspiracy theorists weren't happy with that simple explanation, so they concocted an elaborate conspiracy theory that the street was always avoided due to the street's association with some scandalous event from Papal history.

Author:  flyingaway [ Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

faithfulservant wrote:
flyingaway wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
goot love those agendas... speaking of which, it is tiring to be preached at while watching a tv show.... madame secretary and law and order : svu are probably the worst that i have encountered... just last night chicago med entered the running by professing the anti-gun agenda :nooo: :nooo: :nooo:

no comprendo!

svu??


one of the two or three continuations from the original show.... this one is special victims unit , thus svu

ok, thanks

still a little confused but I'll be OK

:)

Author:  flyingaway [ Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

Doom wrote:
It is not true, but it is theorized by some historians that the legend arose as an attempt to explain why Papal processions in Rome never went down a certain street. The real reason is that the street was too narrow, but, as so often happens, conspiracy theorists weren't happy with that simple explanation, so they concocted an elaborate conspiracy theory that the street was always avoided due to the street's association with some scandalous event from Papal history.

is that kind of like the Protestants exaggerating what happened w/ Indulgences and now we can't believe in Indulgences without being called a medieval nut case papist Catholic?

Author:  faithfulservant [ Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

something kinda like that :fyi:

Author:  flyingaway [ Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

faithfulservant wrote:
something kinda like that :fyi:

yeh, pretty tiresome..

ever notice Catholics, bad as they can be sometimes, never do certain things that protestants dont seem t o have a problem with.. meaning un-Christian things

I am not sure if many here would agree w/ this, but someone on another forum s aid that protestants aren't even Chrsitian

and you wonder.. i mean, I don't know if I would go that far (?) but it does seem like.. hey, you see all kinds of bizzrre behavior (talk) as soon as you simply tell people you are Catholic..

Author:  Doom [ Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

flyingaway wrote:

is that kind of like the Protestants exaggerating what happened w/ Indulgences and now we can't believe in Indulgences without being called a medieval nut case papist Catholic?


No, it's not like that at all. It is more like the Kennedy assassination, there is the 'official' story which makes complete sense and which is still the best explanation, and then you have 'skeptics' who think the official explanation is 'too easy' and so concoct an elaborate conspiracy theory to explain something that doens't really need to be 'explained' at all.

Author:  flyingaway [ Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

Doom wrote:
flyingaway wrote:

is that kind of like the Protestants exaggerating what happened w/ Indulgences and now we can't believe in Indulgences without being called a medieval nut case papist Catholic?


No, it's not like that at all. It is more like the Kennedy assassination, there is the 'official' story which makes complete sense and which is still the best explanation, and then you have 'skeptics' who think the official explanation is 'too easy' and so concoct an elaborate conspiracy theory to explain something that doens't really need to be 'explained' at all.

I have never heard what would be called the official explanation and frankly, don't trust the Vatican much.. read the book on how that one pope was... supposedly died probably murdered because the story just didn't add up.. conflicting testimonies doesn't begin to say it

Pope JP I

the Church has been taken over by secret societies

Author:  Denise Dee [ Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

flyingaway wrote:

the Church has been taken over by secret societies

How do you know, if they are secret?

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

If he told you, THEY would come for you.

Author:  Jack3 [ Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/166328 ... -autograph
[Light anecdote]

Author:  Closet Catholic [ Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

flyingaway wrote:
Doom wrote:
flyingaway wrote:

is that kind of like the Protestants exaggerating what happened w/ Indulgences and now we can't believe in Indulgences without being called a medieval nut case papist Catholic?


No, it's not like that at all. It is more like the Kennedy assassination, there is the 'official' story which makes complete sense and which is still the best explanation, and then you have 'skeptics' who think the official explanation is 'too easy' and so concoct an elaborate conspiracy theory to explain something that doens't really need to be 'explained' at all.

I have never heard what would be called the official explanation and frankly, don't trust the Vatican much.. read the book on how that one pope was... supposedly died probably murdered because the story just didn't add up.. conflicting testimonies doesn't begin to say it

Pope JP I

the Church has been taken over by secret societies
So what you're saying is that you'll believe anything…

Author:  flyingaway [ Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

Denise Dee wrote:
flyingaway wrote:

the Church has been taken over by secret societies

How do you know, if they are secret?

Jesus told me

Author:  Doom [ Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Pope Joan.. any truth to that story?

flyingaway wrote:

the Church has been taken over by secret societies


Has it ever occurred to you how completely incoherent it is to believe that, on the one hand, these alleged ancient secret societies have supposedly spent thousands of years conspiring and keeping their existence a secret, and yet, everyone knows about their existence anyway, and that all of the inner communications are done openly and in public, and EVERYONE is aware of it? What exactly is the point of forming a secret society, and then loudly and publicly advertising the existence of this society before the entire world? Has it ever occurred to you just how little sense that makes?

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/