Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spiritual director question
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:10 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Looking for answers
I've been advised to find and obey a spiritual director. How would I go about finding a spiritual director and how would I know if it would be wise to obey him or her or not? Suppose they told me something I didn't agree with? If I wanted to go to a counsellor or psychotherapist, I would want to see their qualifications first, make sure they are properly qualified and would do me no harm, how would I know if a spiritual director was properly qualified and wouldn't do me any harm?

Post subject: Re: Spiritual director question
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:51 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Quote:
Suppose they told me something I didn't agree with?
It would depend. If your director told you to do something that you are convinced is sinful, you shouldn't do it. Otherwise, part of the point of having a director is to help you realize things that might be difficult to accept.

There are places that accredit directors, but nobody accredits them. Your best bet is to see if you know people who can recommend a director they've found to be helpful.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:48 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Looking for answers
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Quote:
Suppose they told me something I didn't agree with?
It would depend. If your director told you to do something that you are convinced is sinful, you shouldn't do it. Otherwise, part of the point of having a director is to help you realize things that might be difficult to accept.

But he or she might tell me to do things which are not sinful but which nevertheless might be detrimental or unwise for me to do.

For example, he or she might tell me to end my relationship when in fact it might be detrimental to end it. Or he might tell me I should get married when it might not be wise to make that commitment.

Or he might tell me I shouldn't do yoga or meditation because they come from religions that aren't Christian when in fact yoga or meditation might be very beneficial to me.

Surely it's a mistake to allow another person to make important decisions and judgments for you, it would undermine your own ability to make decisions andjudgments for yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:20 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It's always your decision in the end, of course, but if you only want a director who will never disagree with you, then you are your own director.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:28 pm 

If one director doesn't suit you (and vice-versa) feel free to find someone else.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)