Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Vatican 2 Catholic and Traditional Catholic Relationship
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:36 pm 

Religion: Catholic
My boyfriend and I have been dating for a year now. He was raised traditional catholic and I was raised vatican 2 catholic. Has anyone dealt with a relationship like this? We both do not really want to switch to either religion. How do weddings work? Adding kids to the mix later, how do we raise them faith wise? We both love each other and just want to make it work! Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Vatican 2 Catholic and Traditional Catholic Relationship
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:40 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

I don't understand what you mean. Could you give some specific examples of what you perceive are the differences?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:48 pm 

If you google Traditional Catholic you will see many differences including mass style, hell beliefs, and views of the pope. They are just the version before Vatican 2 happened.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:54 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Mass style is different, yes, but that shouldn't be an insurmountable problem if one realizes they are at the heart the same. Again, I would be interested in what you think is different about teachings on hell or the pope or anything significant. The Faith did not change at Vatican 2.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:19 pm 

They believe that if you dont live your traditional faith like you were taught or if you switch to another religion from traditional you will go to hell. They are not in union with the pope so they do not think he has any power. If we were to raise kids in his faith I wouldnt want to teach them that if they decide to do something else they will go to hell. Also in most sermons the priest mentions something about vatican 2 every time in a negative way. I wouldnt be so opposed to it if they didnt bad mouth us so much:/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:34 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

If he is a sedevacantist that would be an issue. Would you both be open to a parish that adheres to the traditional practice but is in communion with Rome such as the FSSP?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:20 am 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
I attend regularly the Traditional Latin Mass at a Diocesan sanctioned TLM Parish in complete communion with the local ordinary and Holy Father. My girlfriend attends regularly a Novus Ordo parish, and while she likes some of the beauty of the TLM, she has a strong preference for the new form.

It does occasionally cause some tension, but at the end of the day we're not a "Traditional" and a "Vatican 2" Catholic, we're just two Catholics of the Roman rite attempting to live according to our faith and prepare ourselves for the next stage of life.

From the sounds of it your boyfriend seems in a different boat, and sorry to be blunt but there are a few things I feel need to be said.
Firstly, do not call yourself a "Vatican 2 Catholic", because if you are in union with the See of Rome and he is not, you are simply Catholic and he is simply not. As harsh as it is, we should not flatter people who wish to be "Catholics" outside the Church.

While it is true that the Church has and does still teach that there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church (it is not permitted to speak of this topic in depth on this board, please try and find some good resources on it from a source in union with the Holy See) but it also teaches that people who deny the authority of the Pope (schismatics is a strong word for this group) separate themselves from the Church. You can not look at this as a relationship between two Catholics if your boyfriend does not accept that Pope Francis is the true Pope, this is what we call a dogmatic fact and it must be believed by Catholics.

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:23 am 
Master
Master

To be clear do you know the name of your boyfriend's community?

Is he part of the Society of St. Pius X?
They disobey the Pope, but accept him as the true Pope. They are/have been (?) on the path to reconciling with Rome.

Is he part of the Society of St. Pius X Resistance?
There's not likely to reconcile with Rome in the foreseeable future

Is he part of the Society of St. Pius V?
They do not accept the Pope at all, and are not Catholic consequently.

ETA:

Groups like the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter (FSSP) or the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest (ICKSP) are in full communion with Rome along with many diocesan parishes that offer the TLM

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:11 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
I know some SSPXers who were recently saying that someone I know hasn't been going to mass. Turns out they were going to a Latin mass at a diocesan parish. They don't consider anything other than going to an SSPX mass valid. They say the rest of the church is in schism and they are the true church.

Frankly, the range of opinions with SSPXers as a whole seems awfully Protestant.

You're just going to have to find out exactly where he stands because there are several ways it could go.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:13 am 
Master
Master

Bombadil wrote:
I know some SSPXers who were recently saying that someone I know hasn't been going to mass. Turns out they were going to a Latin mass at a diocesan parish. They don't consider anything other than going to an SSPX mass valid. They say the rest of the church is in schism and they are the true church.

Frankly, the range of opinions with SSPXers as a whole seems awfully Protestant.

You're just going to have to find out exactly where he stands because there are several ways it could go.

The SSPX has never officially said that any new sacraments are invalid; what there parishioners think is another question but also not entirely under their control.

ETA: They have said that (1) the intention of the celebrant may be doubtful at a Novus Ordo mass (which ignores what Apostolici Curae says about intention) and (2)while they do not say the translation "for all" necessarily invalidates the mass, it does make it more doubtful.

That's a bit different from simply dismissing the NO as invalid, niether are particularly strong doubts.

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:04 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The "for all" translation disappeared in 2010.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:28 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

ForeverFaithful wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

The SSPX has never officially said that any new sacraments are invalid; what there parishioners think is another question but also not entirely under their control.

ETA: They have said that (1) the intention of the celebrant may be doubtful at a Novus Ordo mass (which ignores what Apostolici Curae says about intention) and (2)while they do not say the translation "for all" necessarily invalidates the mass, it does make it more doubtful.

That's a bit different from simply dismissing the NO as invalid, niether are particularly strong doubts.

Good catch on Apostolicae Curae.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:32 pm 
Master
Master

Back to the OP:

There are a lot of groups that disagree with Rome, but if they don't accept Francis as Pope they are not Catholic

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:48 am 

Besides the pope beliefs, they believe there are many more rules to follow and if you don’t, you will go to hell. Like not following their faith or not raising kids in their religion. How do we go about this in the future?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:33 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
That is standard Catholic teaching.

I think we really need more information.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:12 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The "for all" translation disappeared in 2010.

In most translations, yes.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:14 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
ForeverFaithful wrote:

Not just Apostolicae Curae but all of Catholic sacramental theology. Honestly I chalk it up to the baleful influence of Bp. Williamson on the SSPX American District (he was seminary rector for many years).

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:35 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Esalsa wrote:
Besides the pope beliefs, they believe there are many more rules to follow and if you don’t, you will go to hell. Like not following their faith or not raising kids in their religion. How do we go about this in the future?

Honestly? You are begging for trouble by marrying someone with whom you have such a crucial disagreement. Asking people on a message board won't help. You and he need to sit down together, preferably with a third party you both trust, and begin to discuss these things. Because the most likely results of the relationship you're describing are (1) divorce within a few years or (2) a household where no one practices any faith and is bitter about it.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:12 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I always find it odd that some believe there is more than one religion w/in Christendom... :scratch: