Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: John the Baptist's relationship with Jesus
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:21 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
I'm safe to assume that John knew Jesus pretty well growing up.
His mother and Jesus' mother were close friends.
Since John lept in the womb of his mother upon hearing Mary's voice is it generally thought that John knew all along that Jesus was God's Son?

Post subject: Re: John the Baptist's relationship with Jesus
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:44 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Mary and Elizabeth were related, cousins of some sort, not just friends, though the exact relationship is not known (some uncertain early traditions suggest that they were first cousins). I don't think it's necessary to believe that John the Baptist fully understood who Jesus is.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:53 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
Certainly not necessary...
But I'm reading Frank Sheed's book 'To Know Christ Jesus' (incredible, by the way) and it just got me thinking about what John thought or knew about Jesus.
Then the thought that he leapt in Elizabeth's womb made me think that at some level he had to be endowed with some preternatural insight on Jesus.

Another thing in the book is how Sheed explains the significance of "Blessed art thou amongst women" being said to a woman who understood the Old Testament (as Mary would have)....
The significance of other women to whom that phrase had been directed prior to Mary.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:04 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
p.falk wrote:
I'm safe to assume that John knew Jesus pretty well growing up.

I don't think it is 'safe' to assume that at all, certainly the gospel accounts of the baptism of Jesus give no indication that John and Jesus had ever even met before, and John required a sign of 'the Holy Spirit falling on him like a dove' and a voice from heaven just to be sure that Jesus was the Messiah. Certainly, they were relatives, that doesn't mean they knew each other, I have tons of relatives that I am aware of but have never actually met or talked to.

Although John's gospel's account is a little different, in John's account, he knew who Jesus was all along, and even cries out 'Behold, the Lamb of God', the first time he sees Jesus. John's gospel also doesn't have an account of Jesus' baptism, so it is possible that the meeting recorded in John was after that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:14 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Sheed's book is very good.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:28 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
p.falk wrote:
Certainly not necessary...
But I'm reading Frank Sheed's book 'To Know Christ Jesus' (incredible, by the way) and it just got me thinking about what John thought or knew about Jesus.
Then the thought that he leapt in Elizabeth's womb made me think that at some level he had to be endowed with some preternatural insight on Jesus.

Another thing in the book is how Sheed explains the significance of "Blessed art thou amongst women" being said to a woman who understood the Old Testament (as Mary would have)....
The significance of other women to whom that phrase had been directed prior to Mary.

If I win the lottery I will buy a truckload full of copies of that book and give them away.