Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Fr. James Martin - Homosexuality/Ceremonial Laws
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:35 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
I was listening to a speech by Fr. James Martin in which people were able to ask him questions and concerns they had.
One lady asked him how progressive young people who want to be Catholic can rectify the Catholic Church's position on gay marriages and homosexual behavior in general with their progressive view points on those topics.

Now I have seen clips of Fr. James Martin where he just comes across kind of as a pluralistic doofus saying things like "attempts at converting another is just pious nonsense" (said to Penn Jillette on a show on MSBNC... or was it CNN?). And that's bad enough, but he did attempt to justify it to some degree where it didn't sound as loopy (it was still loopy).

But in this speech I was blown away at hearing him actually vocalizing his position on gay marriage/homosexual behavior. When asked how to rectify the two (progressive view point and the Church's teaching) he starts by using the usuary example, but then he actually read the "Letter to Doctor Laura"... smug look on his face the whole time to the giddy laughter of the audience.

The content of the letter is here:

Quote:
Dear Dr. Laura:
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law.
I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. ... End of debate.
I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Law and how to follow them.
1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord -- Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.
4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2. The passage clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there “degrees” of abomination?
7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?
9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend).
He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16). Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)
I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.
Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging

My jaw dropped. This priest who is regularly trotted out as a representative of the Catholic Church gets to make these kind of public statements with no consequences at all?

I've heard this letter read many times by others, I've heard the criticisms of it's actually impact many times. But to have a respected Catholic priest read it in response to the Church's position on that topic and watching his effeminate lip curl in pleasure at saying "God's word is eternal and unchanging" just drives me up a wall.

Post subject: Re: Fr. James Martin - Homosexuality/Ceremonial Laws
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:58 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
p.falk wrote:
I was listening to a speech by Fr. James Martin

:roll: :nono:

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:04 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Jack3 wrote:
p.falk wrote:
I was listening to a speech by Fr. James Martin

:roll: :nono:

How does he get this kind of impunity?
What's the standard where the Church steps in?
How much force do we need in order for the catapult to help Fr. Martin reach the nearest body of water?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:32 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Fr. Martin's superiors don't appear to be interested in restraining him.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:43 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fr. Martin's superiors don't appear to be interested in restraining him.

His superiors are other Jesuits, who all agree with him. I think it may be time to suppress the Jesuit order again for a few decades, maybe then they will get the hint.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:41 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Martin is a heretic and a whore of Satan, as is Weakland, as is...

I am tired of pretending to have any communion with those that manifestly do not have the faith.

And frankly, I think we should care less about these whoresons, and more about the mortal peril they present to others. Not only those whose ears they tickle, but also the superiors in the Church who, in mortal violation of their obligations, give superficial credence by, against their grave duty, refusing to censure them

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:25 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
The conservative Catholic satire site Eccles is saved sometimes writes about Fr Martin.
http://ecclesandbosco.blogspot.com

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:51 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
And frankly, I think we should care less about these whoresons, and more about the mortal peril they present to others. Not only those whose ears they tickle, but also the superiors in the Church who, in mortal violation of their obligations, give superficial credence by, against their grave duty, refusing to censure them

And by the principle of subsidiarity, if those superiors can't or won't censure Fr. Martin and his ilk, it falls to their superiors, and so on. If only we had a visible head of the Church with immediate universal jurisdiction who could do something!

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:54 am 
King of Cool

Peregrinator wrote:
If only we had a visible head of the Church with immediate universal jurisdiction who could do something!

He is only interested in punishing people who uphold traditional Catholicism such as Cardinals Burke and Mueller.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:27 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Seems to me we've heard this rhetorical nonsense before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CPjWd4MUXs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:41 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian

But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:56 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Quote:
falls
Rises, surely.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:58 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Doom wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:
If only we had a visible head of the Church with immediate universal jurisdiction who could do something!

He is only interested in punishing people who uphold traditional Catholicism such as Cardinals Burke and Mueller.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/glo ... a9789400ef

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:29 pm 
King of Cool

Sabbath wrote:
Doom wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/glo ... a9789400ef

By 'far right' the author means 'people who believe in the Catholicism that existed before March 13, 2013, when Francis was elected.;

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:19 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian
I'm beginning to understand Martin Luther's predicament.

But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:01 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
p.falk wrote:
I was listening to a speech by Fr. James Martin in which people were able to ask him questions and concerns they had.
One lady asked him how progressive young people who want to be Catholic can rectify the Catholic Church's position on gay marriages and homosexual behavior in general with their progressive view points on those topics.

Now I have seen clips of Fr. James Martin where he just comes across kind of as a pluralistic doofus saying things like "attempts at converting another is just pious nonsense" (said to Penn Jillette on a show on MSBNC... or was it CNN?). And that's bad enough, but he did attempt to justify it to some degree where it didn't sound as loopy (it was still loopy).

But in this speech I was blown away at hearing him actually vocalizing his position on gay marriage/homosexual behavior. When asked how to rectify the two (progressive view point and the Church's teaching) he starts by using the usuary example, but then he actually read the "Letter to Doctor Laura"... smug look on his face the whole time to the giddy laughter of the audience.

Quote:
Dear Dr. Laura:
I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. ... End of debate.
I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Law and how to follow them.
1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord -- Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.
4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2. The passage clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there “degrees” of abomination?
7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?
9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend).
He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16). Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)
I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.

My jaw dropped. This priest who is regularly trotted out as a representative of the Catholic Church gets to make these kind of public statements with no consequences at all?

I've heard this letter read many times by others, I've heard the criticisms of it's actually impact many times. But to have a respected Catholic priest read it in response to the Church's position on that topic and watching his effeminate lip curl in pleasure at saying "God's word is eternal and unchanging" just drives me up a wall.

Link?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:56 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

kage_ar wrote:
p.falk wrote:

Quote:
Dear Dr. Laura:

Link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf6QDDs ... be&t=5m45s

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:01 am 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
Sabbath wrote:

Oh you mean from Horus

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:05 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ForeverFaithful wrote:
Sabbath wrote:

Oh you mean from Horus

Of chorus! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:15 am 
There Can Be Only One

All I can say to this is that, during the process of conversion, a priest told me that, if I was coming to Catholicism as a refuge from progressive modernity and pseudo-Christianity, then I was coming to the wrong place.

It also reminds me of the way some excommunicated priest in Phoenix was treated by the press. Several articles on his tribulations with the Church, on his positions of various progressive social issues, and his general righteousness. Not a work about contrary Church positions.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next