All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Questions Concerning Sunday Obligation
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:21 am 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
Canon 1247
On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass.

Moreover, they are to abstain from those works and affairs which hinder the worship to be rendered to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s day, or the suitable relaxation of mind and body.

1. I plan to attend a philosophy conference on a Sunday, for which I am not being payed to attend nor graded on anything I produce there. I should be able to attend mass that day, but I was wondering if I would still fall short of the secondary requirement of Canon 1247.

Canon 1245
Without prejudice to the right of diocesan bishops mentioned in ⇒ can. 87, for a just cause and according to the prescripts of the diocesan bishop, a pastor can grant in individual cases a dispensation from the obligation of observing a feast day or a day of penance or can grant a commutation of the obligation into other pious works. A superior of a religious institute or society of apostolic life, if they are clerical and of pontifical right, can also do this in regard to his own subjects and others living in the house day and night.

2. Does the bolded provision allow for dispensation of the secondary requirements of canon 1247 on a Sunday?

3. If one attends (like me) a parish with no pastor, but only an administrator, may the administrator grant the dispensation mentioned in canon 1245?

Tiber swim team '13

Last edited by ForeverFaithful on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Questions Concerning Sunday Obligation
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:27 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
1) According to commentators, intellectual labor doesn't violate the Sunday rest requirement. It wouldn't even matter if you were being paid or graded.

2) Yes.

3) Yes.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:49 am 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
1) According to commentators, intellectual labor doesn't violate the Sunday rest requirement. It wouldn't even matter if you were being paid or graded.

2) Yes.

3) Yes.

I thought the whole point was that "servile work" was too narrow so St John Paul II changed the law to cover white collar work.

Or in virtue of a narrow reading are we to believe office work is licit on Sunday?

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:10 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Oh, I can't resist the perfect opportunity to insist that now because of your questions about labor vs. the intellectual life you are obliged to read Pieper's Leisure: the Basis of Culture. :fyi: (Esp chapter two. :fyi: )

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:38 am 
Master
Master

gherkin wrote:
Oh, I can't resist the perfect opportunity to insist that now because of your questions about labor vs. the intellectual life you are obliged to read Pieper's Leisure: the Basis of Culture. :fyi: (Esp chapter two. :fyi: )

Look you already got me reading books that are good; I can't afford to agree with you anymore!

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:50 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I mow lawns on Sundays, and sometimes plow snow...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:37 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Seriously, I'd like to know more about this "obligation to refrain from servile labor." I always here this does not apply to those w/"noble professions", like doctors, nurses, police, etc...but what about us schmucks mowing lawns/plowing snow, who are at the mercy of the weather?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:36 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Sabbath wrote:
Seriously, I'd like to know more about this "obligation to refrain from servile labor." I always here this does not apply to those w/"noble professions", like doctors, nurses, police, etc...but what about us schmucks mowing lawns/plowing snow, who are at the mercy of the weather?

Plowing is probably a necessity - you are, after all, helping those in noble professions (among others, of course!) get to work. I think mowing lawns is different, though.

Of course if refraining from mowing lawns on Sundays would cause you undue hardship because of lost business, that might be a mitigating factor.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:02 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Dood, did you even see what I wrote? We are at the mercy of the weather, not only is lost business a possibility, but undue hardship of labor when you have to mow wet overgrown lawns, and get way behind. Didn't Jesus say the sabbath was made for man, and not the other way around...