Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: marijuana
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:50 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
i bought these cbd supplements because i was curious if it would help with anxiety. cbd is another chemical from the marijuana plant. i read that it would not get me high and that it was legal. but i did feel weird after i bought it like i was doing something i shouldnt. i took them. is this a sin?

Post subject: Re: marijuana
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:52 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
It's not illegal and doesn't get you high, and may help with your anxiety, why would it be wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:55 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

i think because i have very delicate brain chemistry, and i feel like God has been leading me to even be careful with coffee.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:57 pm 
King of Cool

That might mean that this treatment isn't for you, but it doesn't make it a sin.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:58 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Given the lack of research, I am skeptical about the medicinal benefits of marijuana.

Despite the extensive changes in policy at the state level and the rapid rise in the use of cannabis both for medical purposes and for recreational use, conclusive evidence regarding the short- and long-term health effects (harms and benefits) of cannabis use remains elusive. A lack of scientific research has resulted in a lack of information on the health implications of cannabis use, which is a significant public health concern for vulnerable populations such as pregnant women and adolescents. Unlike other substances whose use may confer risk, such as alcohol or tobacco, no accepted standards exist to help guide individuals as they make choices regarding the issues of if, when, where, and how to use cannabis safely and, in regard to therapeutic uses, effectively.

- Extract from The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids: The Current State of Evidence and Recommendations for Research (2017) by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine.

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:24 pm 
King of Cool

TreeBeard wrote:
Given the lack of research, I am skeptical about the medicinal benefits of marijuana.

The only medical 'ailment' that marijuana is an effective treatment for is the withdrawal symptoms from not enough marijuana. If they want to legalize the stuff and just let people get stoned out of their minds, fine, but let's not corrupt the medical profession and add an extra layer or hypocrisy by making absurd claims that it is 'medicine.'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:31 am 
Citizen
Citizen

TreeBeard wrote:
Given the lack of research, I am skeptical about the
medicinal benefits of marijuana.

I'm of the view that the benefits of marijuana are being oversold. Like TreeBeard, I'm skeptical about the whole enterprise.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:56 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Even the drug companies recognize that marijuana has a place in medicine--they've been packaging thc capsules for many years now. In short, they took a product that could have been cheaply and easily available to anyone in its natural form, processed it, and sold it at an exorbitant price to people who couldn't legally get it otherwise.

The public health people are totally untrustworthy in every respect and always have been. I'm no fan of legalizing marijuana, but hearing the government hyperventilate about its possible lack of not-quite-entirely-understood-safe-levels-of-dosing and such, while forcing gardisil on little girls, makes me puke.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:03 am 

kpl2014 wrote:
i bought these cbd supplements because i was curious if it would help with anxiety. cbd is another chemical from the marijuana plant. i read that it would not get me high and that it was legal. but i did feel weird after i bought it like i was doing something i shouldnt. i took them. is this a sin?

I don't know anything about this product, but if you try it and it seems to work, then go for it.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:10 am 
King of Cool

gherkin wrote:
Even the drug companies recognize that marijuana has a place in medicine--they've been packaging thc capsules for many years now. In short, they took a product that could have been cheaply and easily available to anyone in its natural form, processed it, and sold it at an exorbitant price to people who couldn't legally get it otherwise.

You're exaggerating, what they have done is isolate ONE 'active ingredient' (the actual medical value of which has never been established) from marijuana, that is quite different from acknowledging that there are 'medical benefits' to getting high. As far as it goes, the fact that something is for sale doesn't actually mean that it has any medical value, it only means that they have no compunction about playing on the gullible. It is also possible to buy shark cartilage, ear candling kits and 'licorice extract', that doesn't mean that any of those things have any actual medical value because they don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:55 am 
There Can Be Only One

I don't have any issues with MJ. I have issues with the public policy associated with it.

If someone wants to partake, and is willing to accept the consequences, based upon factors like individual body chemistry, psychological makeup, financial burden, the bad pennies that accumulate around drug use in general ... then, fine.

But that won't happen. Witness Colorado. Those who, for whatever reason, find MJ a problem will quickly find a do-gooder core that will demand that the government intervene to mitigate, regulate, subsidize, and provide resources for those who can't handle MJ. They will, and have, become yet another disadvantaged, oppressed, needy, victimized group that demands a bureaucracy to preserve their civil rights. Or whatever.

So, when the stoned fork lift operator kills two of his co-workers, it will not possibly be his fault.

Oh, and my recollection is that MJ, used extensively and over time, causes permanent brain changes. Dude.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:57 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf5rIuJPTt0

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:20 pm 

Doom wrote:
gherkin wrote:

You're exaggerating,

Totally unlike what you did. :laughhard

Quote:
what they have done is isolate ONE 'active ingredient' (the actual medical value of which has never been established) from marijuana, that is quite different from acknowledging that there are 'medical benefits' to getting high. As far as it goes, the fact that something is for sale doesn't actually mean that it has any medical value, it only means that they have no compunction about playing on the gullible. It is also possible to buy shark cartilage, ear candling kits and 'licorice extract', that doesn't mean that any of those things have any actual medical value because they don't.

The inpatient pharmacy at the medical-school affiliated hospital I used to work in stocked thc capsules, and occasionally distributed them to patients. I don't recall ever seeing any licorice extract or shark cartilage in our stocks.

Not that I reduce "effective medicine" to "what big pharmaceutical companies and their doctors recognize." I'm just saying, as I mentioned in my last post, that "even drug companies recognize that marijuana has a place in medicine--they've been packaging thc capsules for many years now." Which is not an exaggeration in the very least (unlike the claim that "the only medical 'ailment' that marijuana is an effective treatment for is the withdrawal symptoms from not enough marijuana'). It's just the sober truth.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:31 pm 

Highlander wrote:
Oh, and my recollection is that MJ, used extensively and over time, causes permanent brain changes. Dude.

It's funny, in a way, to see a comment like this in this thread. You yourself did not say in your post that marijuana is medically ineffectual. But of course many people think it is--after all, it's a natural product, and not something concocted at great expense (to the consumer) by the chemical industry, and hence it can't possibly be really efficacious!

But if it can't be efficacious, then how could it cause permanent brain changes?

Yeah, the brain changes you're thinking of probably aren't good ones. But that's not really the point here, is it? My point isn't about the medical effectiveness of marijuana as such, whether for good or ill, it's about negative attitudes regarding herbal remedies. And as I say, I'm not targeting you when I make the point. It's kind of a free-floating point that was prompted by that stray line in your post. The thing is, herbs are obviously highly effective in all kinds of ways. The trick is to figure out which and what and how and when and why and so on...not to just ignore or disparage.

Along those lines, I'd suggest to the op to maybe try lavender or chamomile or lemon balm or valerian instead of this cbd supplement, which sounds more refined and highly processed (though I'm not sure about that).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:54 pm 
There Can Be Only One

gherkin wrote:
Doom wrote:
...You're exaggerating,

Totally unlike what you did. :laughhard ...

:laughhard
Nail. Head.
:laughhard

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:01 pm 
There Can Be Only One

gherkin wrote:
Highlander wrote:

It's funny, in a way, to see a comment like this in this thread. You yourself did not say in your post that marijuana is medically ineffectual. But of course many people think it is--after all, it's a natural product, and not something concocted at great expense (to the consumer) by the chemical industry, and hence it can't possibly be really efficacious!

But if it can't be efficacious, then how could it cause permanent brain changes?

Yeah, the brain changes you're thinking of probably aren't good ones. But that's not really the point here, is it? My point isn't about the medical effectiveness of marijuana as such, whether for good or ill, it's about negative attitudes regarding herbal remedies. And as I say, I'm not targeting you when I make the point. It's kind of a free-floating point that was prompted by that stray line in your post. The thing is, herbs are obviously highly effective in all kinds of ways. The trick is to figure out which and what and how and when and why and so on...not to just ignore or disparage.

Along those lines, I'd suggest to the op to maybe try lavender or chamomile or lemon balm or valerian instead of this cbd supplement, which sounds more refined and highly processed (though I'm not sure about that).

Accepting your caveats, I was not addressing efficacy, but the public policy reaction to near every misfortune or woeful countenance or stubbed toe that life hands out.

As to herbal use, DW is constantly experimenting on me ... for my own good. Sometimes something she takes out of the spice drawer works quite well. I did likewise. She used to have frequent, severe leg cramps at night. I told (well, made) her eat a banana a day. Potassium. Her leg cramps have virtually disappeared.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:24 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
gherkin wrote:
Highlander wrote:

Accepting your caveats, I was not addressing efficacy, but the public policy reaction to near every misfortune or woeful countenance or stubbed toe that life hands out.

As to herbal use, DW is constantly experimenting on me ... for my own good. Sometimes something she takes out of the spice drawer works quite well. I did likewise. She used to have frequent, severe leg cramps at night. I told (well, made) her eat a banana a day. Potassium. Her leg cramps have virtually disappeared.

Worked for me.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:41 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Best research I am aware of:

http://new.huji.ac.il/en/article/34154

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:53 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
I know more than a few Protestants who will accept the findings because it comes from an organization with Hebrew, Israel and Jerusalem in their name.

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:35 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: None
Doom wrote:
TreeBeard wrote:

The only medical 'ailment' that marijuana is an effective treatment for is the withdrawal symptoms from not enough marijuana. If they want to legalize the stuff and just let people get stoned out of their minds, fine, but let's not corrupt the medical profession and add an extra layer or hypocrisy by making absurd claims that it is 'medicine.'

The human body has a good number on endocanibinoid compounds and canabinoid receptors, which are just starting to be understood with effects all over the body, and not just in the brain. The compounds in cannabis certainly do produce metabolic changes in the body. While there is not reason why you can't get the FDA to approve a standardized herbal compound or extract, spending 2.4 billion for approval on a product that would immediately have generic competitors doesn't make a lot of sense for those in pharmaceutical companies.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next