The Catholic Message Board
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/

What would be the proper way of going about this...
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=168402
Page 1 of 2

Author:  DominiCanis [ Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:07 pm ]
Post subject:  What would be the proper way of going about this...

During our Masses, the priest doesn't use a microphone except for the readings and homily, which makes it very hard to hear a of the times when you're trying to follow along (and you know how it is with the ordinary form, where you can use option this and option that etc). I wanna suggest that they use a mic, and I'll even offer to pay for it, but given my social anxiety I'm not sure how to go about making these types of suggestions. You see, I'm the type of person who usually just goes into Church and out of it as fast as I can. I really don't talk to anyone there including the priests.

Do you think it would be in bad form if I emailed the parish secretary and brought up my concerns? I'll do it very respectfully of course, I'm not making any demands here. I know some of you will suggest that I just make an appointment with the priest, but I'm not going to waste his time just to say, "hey, I was wondering if you guys can use a mic and I'll pay for it." So, if you guys have any thoughts on how I should proceed with this, that would be great,

Author:  gherkin [ Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

Good question. I've always found that my 'helpful suggestions' have been received as though I were attempting murder.

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

The priest may HATE portable microphones with a passion (a hatred I share). They are a continual pain and constant bother.

It's possible to put an unobtrusive mic on the altar itself, but he may not like that either.

Author:  DominiCanis [ Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

Hmm. Yeah, I think I'll leave this one alone.

Author:  Riverboat [ Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

Is this the right place to suggest that someone be appointed to stand by with a pair of wire cutters in case someone attempts a guitar liturgy?

Author:  kage_ar [ Tue May 01, 2018 3:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The priest may HATE portable microphones with a passion (a hatred I share). They are a continual pain and constant bother.

It's possible to put an unobtrusive mic on the altar itself, but he may not like that either.


The little mic on the ambo and another on the altar is my preferred set up. A "Janet Jackson" style headphone mic (yes, they use them at the parish up the road) or the old fashioned lapel mic lead to "roamin' Catholic" homilists...

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Tue May 01, 2018 4:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

I always think Garth Brooks for the headsets.

The problem with lapel mics is that vestments don't have lapels, so it's a chore to get the mic positioned where it will work.

Author:  ThomisticCajunAggie [ Tue May 01, 2018 5:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

kage_ar wrote:
A "Janet Jackson" style headphone mic (yes, they use them at the parish up the road) or the old fashioned lapel mic lead to "roamin' Catholic" homilists...


yes ... this ... my parish uses the lapel mics in addition to a mic at the ambo. I suppose the idea is that the priest can be heard from where he says the collect and the postcommunion, but I would love it if we ditched the lapel mics and they just had a mic at the ambo (and maybe at the altar).

Although, let's be honest, the Church existed for hundreds of years without microphones. If we returned to a silent canon, no microphone at the altar would be necessary. Well, except for in those carpeted churches, since carpet absorbs sound. We should probably rip that carpet out of those...

Author:  Highlander [ Tue May 01, 2018 7:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

Don't get me started on the acoustics in the barn churches.

Sit closer.

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Tue May 01, 2018 7:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

What do you think of acoustics in barn churches?

Author:  MichaelD14 [ Tue May 01, 2018 7:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

One could just ask the NSA/FBI to feed one of their MICS to the PA system. Heh Heh

Author:  Highlander [ Tue May 01, 2018 10:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
What do you think of acoustics in barn churches?


In my experience, limited, the acoustics in the big barns require a sound system. Or you can't hear. Our parish has folks who pack the front of the nave. And, although our sound system is quite effective, I think it is partially to be able to better hear.

Author:  DominiCanis [ Tue May 01, 2018 11:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

ThomisticCajunAggie wrote:
If we returned to a silent canon, no microphone at the altar would be necessary.


And if we returned to the exclusive use of the Roman Canon.

Author:  DominiCanis [ Tue May 01, 2018 11:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The problem with lapel mics is that vestments don't have lapels, so it's a chore to get the mic positioned where it will work.

Can't it be placed in the collar? Like the priest in this YouTube vid, you can see a white lapel mic (I think) on his right side of the collar. Or is there some other reason that might not be practical?

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Wed May 02, 2018 7:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

How he gets it to pick up his voice when he turns his head, I don't know.

Author:  Doom [ Wed May 02, 2018 11:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

Can't he just speak a little louder? After all, most church buildings in this country were built before there was such a thing as a 'microphone' so priests had to speak loudly and clearly enough for the congregation to hear him, relying on the design of the church to amplify his voice.

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Wed May 02, 2018 11:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

They were built when the congregation didn't need to hear much.

Author:  kage_ar [ Wed May 02, 2018 11:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

Doom wrote:
Can't he just speak a little louder? After all, most church buildings in this country were built before there was such a thing as a 'microphone' so priests had to speak loudly and clearly enough for the congregation to hear him, relying on the design of the church to amplify his voice.


Older buildings, like our 100+ year old church, were built so the voice could be heard. The Ambo was raised with a clamshell behind it. The floors were marble, travertine, the acoustics were great.

Then came the 1970s. They ripped out the ambo and clamshell, stuck it on a built out "stage". Threw down carpet and padded the pews to absorb all the rest of the sound. Put in a soundsystem and people have been complaining that they cannot hear ever since.

Parish up the road is about the same age, with similar "70's wreckovation". A few years ago they installed a Bose sound system. It works.

Author:  Highlander [ Wed May 02, 2018 12:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

kage_ar wrote:
Doom wrote:
Can't he just speak a little louder? After all, most church buildings in this country were built before there was such a thing as a 'microphone' so priests had to speak loudly and clearly enough for the congregation to hear him, relying on the design of the church to amplify his voice.


Older buildings, like our 100+ year old church, were built so the voice could be heard. The Ambo was raised with a clamshell behind it. The floors were marble, travertine, the acoustics were great.

Then came the 1970s. They ripped out the ambo and clamshell, stuck it on a built out "stage". Threw down carpet and padded the pews to absorb all the rest of the sound. Put in a soundsystem and people have been complaining that they cannot hear ever since.

Parish up the road is about the same age, with similar "70's wreckovation". A few years ago they installed a Bose sound system. It works.


Hear, hear!

Author:  Doom [ Wed May 02, 2018 12:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would be the proper way of going about this...

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
They were built when the congregation didn't need to hear much.


They needed to hear the homily and the readings at least.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/