Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 26 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Saint Veronica
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:58 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
anawim wrote:
I'm curious... has there ever been a comparison of the veil of Veronica with the manoppello which lines up with the shroud of Turin?

The comparison is at the center of the arguments in favor of the authenticity of the Shroud.

I did not know that. And I once, long ago, was quite up on things Sindological. At the center, you say?

Yes, there was a cloth that was displayed as the alleged cloth of St Veronica in the 8th and 9th centuries, a detailed analysis seems to indicate that this cloth and the Shroud of Turin are the exact same thing.

A detailed analysis of the Shroud indicates that it spent a long time folded up in such a way that only the face was seen. This was discovered by closely examining the shroud and noticing that it has creases which would indicate that it spent a lot of time being folded in a certain way. The pattern of the creases was fed into a mathematical computer simulation to determine how it would have been folded (because the shroud itself is much too fragile to actually fold it along the creases) and it was determined the creases indicate that it was at one time folded in exactly the same way that the alleged cloth of St. Veronica was known to have been displayed. The connection between the two things was striking and unexpected by researchers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:16 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
anawim wrote:
I'm curious... has there ever been a comparison of the veil of Veronica with the manoppello which lines up with the shroud of Turin?

The comparison is at the center of the arguments in favor of the authenticity of the Shroud.

I did not know that. And I once, long ago, was quite up on things Sindological. At the center, you say?

Yes, there was a cloth that was displayed as the alleged cloth of St Veronica in the 8th and 9th centuries, a detailed analysis seems to indicate that this cloth and the Shroud of Turin are the exact same thing.

A detailed analysis of the Shroud indicates that it spent a long time folded up in such a way that only the face was seen. This was discovered by closely examining the shroud and noticing that it has creases which would indicate that it spent a lot of time being folded in a certain way. The pattern of the creases was fed into a mathematical computer simulation to determine how it would have been folded (because the shroud itself is much too fragile to actually fold it along the creases) and it was determined the creases indicate that it was at one time folded in exactly the same way that the alleged cloth of St. Veronica was known to have been displayed. The connection between the two things was striking and unexpected by researchers.

The general thrust of this I understand. But that the manoppello image was closely aligned with the Shroud is somewhat...new to me. The idea that the folded Shroud itself might have been the Mandylion/Image of Edessa resonates in my mind. It was in Ian WIlson's book, IIRC. But all this was long ago, all but 2-3 books are packed away, and I last exchanged posts (correcting errors) on the subject maybe 5 years ago.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:56 pm 

Religion: Catholic
IIRC, the blood type (AB-) matched as well.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:47 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
just like the blood type of the Eucharistic Miracle of Lanciano

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:11 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Christian
Some stories have alluded to Saint Veronica being present at the beheading of Saint John the Baptist.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:17 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Christian
Prayer to Saint Veronica: O my Jesus, Saint Veronica served You on the way to Calvary by wiping Your beloved face with a towel on which Your sacred image than appeared.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 26 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2