Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What Exactly does Canon Law Require for Bibles?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:23 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
It is my understanding that Canon Law mandates that Catholic Bibles must be printed with interpretive notes to aid the reader in proper Biblical interpretation. But what exactly is required in terms of notes?

I ask this because I recently downloaded the new audiobook edition of the NABRE which was released in August of last year. As I mentioned in the thread about this in The Book Store, the audiobook is significantly longer than other audio Bibles. And as I suspected, the reason for the additional length is that in addition to the text of the 73 books of the Catholic Bible, the narrator also reads the introduction to each book, and to each section. He also reads the introduction to the NABRE itself which describes the history of the text, and he even reads the full copyright notice, and the Nihil Obstat for each of the 4 print editions of the NAB (1970, 1986, 1991, 2011).

Isn't this excessive? Does canon law actually require this? I'm nearly 2 hours into this audiobook, and he hasn't even read Genesis 1:1 yet.

Post subject: Re: What Exactly does Canon Law Require for Bibles?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:39 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Christian
In what year did Canon Law mandate the requirement? If an outline of reasons was given at the time of the original mandate, it might be easier to understand the mandate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:08 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
From the 1983 Code of Canon Law:
    Can. 825 §1 Books of the sacred Scriptures may not be published unless they are approved by the Apostolic See or the Episcopal Conference. The publication of translations of the sacred Scriptures requires the approval of the same authority, and they must have necessary and sufficient explanatory notes.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:43 pm 
King of Cool

Petronius wrote:
In what year did Canon Law mandate the requirement? If an outline of reasons was given at the time of the original mandate, it might be easier to understand the mandate.

The rule has existed for centuries, the purpose of the rule is primarily to combat Protestant Bible translations which contained anti-Catholic notes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:46 pm 
King of Cool

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
From the 1983 Code of Canon Law:
    Can. 825 §1 Books of the sacred Scriptures may not be published unless they are approved by the Apostolic See or the Episcopal Conference. The publication of translations of the sacred Scriptures requires the approval of the same authority, and they must have necessary and sufficient explanatory notes.

So, there is no reason that the notes have to be as extensive as they are in the NAB, nor is there any reason why the bishops should be so insistent that every single reprint of the NAB should contain the same notes as in the standard edition, even when it is being reprinted in another edition (such as the Didache Bible, the Catholic Study Bible or the Little Rock Study Bible) which has its own notes. And it probably isn't required by canon law that the narrator of an audio version of the Bible should have to read the full introductions and copyright notice as well.

Why are the bishops so insistent on this?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:25 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I doubt the bishops know or care, most of them. This is probably a person somewhere on the USCCB staff.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:58 am 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
Audiobooks? Maybe we need CD-ROMs to avoid lengthy explanations or annotations.

Vietnamese - Mother's Heart Will Conquer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:32 pm 
King of Cool

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I doubt the bishops know or care, most of them. This is probably a person somewhere on the USCCB staff.

But anyone on the USCCB staff will no doubt report to a bishop who serves on the committee responsible for overseeing the text of the NAB. I may be wrong, but I think the bishop in charge of that is still Donald Trautman.