Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Freemasonry question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:25 pm 

Religion: Catholic
I have been informed that I have a relative who is Catholic but also a freemason.

I vaguely recall reading something bby the Catholic Church that sanctioned Catholics from even speaking with freemasons, or maybe it was doing business with them or something...Can't remember...All I remember reading was that Catholics were sanctioned to not associate with them. (Maybe this sanction was lifted?)

Well...now my family is meeting for Christmas at another relative's house, and this freemason Catholic will be going. It would be impossible not to interact with this person. In fact, interacting with him the entire time is what is going to happen because there is only a handfull of people going.

I don't care about offending my family. I just want to do what the Church asks. So what is my moral obligation here?

Post subject: Re: Freemasonry question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:20 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
You don't have any obligation to start family fights, which is about all that will come of it if you tell him being a Mason is against Church teaching.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:16 pm 

Bombadil wrote:
You don't have any obligation to start family fights, which is about all that will come of it if you tell him being a Mason is against Church teaching.

I am wondering whether I have a moral obligation not to go, given this situation and what the Church teaches.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:59 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
I have never heard of such a thing. No, I don't even see how that could be a rule. Don't worry about it. You heard wrong.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:42 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
Dee wrote:
I have been informed that I have a relative who is Catholic but also a freemason.

I vaguely recall reading something bby the Catholic Church that sanctioned Catholics from even speaking with freemasons, or maybe it was doing business with them or something...Can't remember...All I remember reading was that Catholics were sanctioned to not associate with them. (Maybe this sanction was lifted?)

Well...now my family is meeting for Christmas at another relative's house, and this freemason Catholic will be going. It would be impossible not to interact with this person. In fact, interacting with him the entire time is what is going to happen because there is only a handfull of people going.

I don't care about offending my family. I just want to do what the Church asks. So what is my moral obligation here?

I have never heard of not being allowed to associate with ANYONE, especially since evangelization is the calling of every Catholic. Rather, I think you may have heard that you cannot join the Freemasons. If that is what you mean by "association" then yes, that is correct. So, by all means, "associate" with them as far as being kind, having a good conversation, and celebrating Christmas! But, don't join the Freemasons!

FJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:04 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Dee wrote:

I'm not answering your question but around the time of the French Revolution, Freemasons were kinda big deals; they have since been surpassed by many, including notary publics.