The Catholic Message Board
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/

Saint Andrew
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=167581
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Petronius [ Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Saint Andrew

Saint Andrew is also referred to as Andrew the Apostle. He is the older brother of Saint Peter.
Saint Andrew is the patron saint of fishermen and singers. He is the patron saint of Scotland, Romania, Russia, and Ukraine.
His feast day is November 30.

Author:  Bombadil [ Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Saint Andrew

Thanks, I usually forget.

Author:  anawim [ Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Saint Andrew

Didn't realize (or remember) that he was older than Peter.

Author:  Desertfalcon [ Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Saint Andrew

Petronius wrote:
Saint Andrew is the patron saint of fishermen and singers. He is the patron saint of Scotland, Romania, Russia, and Ukraine.


St. Andrew is a patron saint of Russia but I would think that the patron saint is St. George. He, (killing a dragon of course), is at the center of the Russian Federations coat of arms.

Image

Author:  Petronius [ Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Saint Andrew

Saint Andrew is Scotland's Patron Saint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wIrFdgBjNA

Author:  Petronius [ Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Saint Andrew

Andrew's name means strong.

Author:  Petronius [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Saint Andrew

Before the multiplication of the loaves, it was Andrew who spoke up about the boy who had the barley loaves and fishes.

Author:  Doom [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Saint Andrew

anawim wrote:
Didn't realize (or remember) that he was older than Peter.


He almost certainly wasn't. If you recall the story of the coin Peter found in the mouth of the fish, Jesus said 'give it to them to pay for your tax and mine', according to Leviticus, all Israelite men over the age of 20 had to pay the temple tax, the fact that only Jesus and Peter were assessed the tax, strongly implies that the other disciples were not yet old enough to be required to pay it,

Author:  anawim [ Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Saint Andrew

Doom wrote:
anawim wrote:
Didn't realize (or remember) that he was older than Peter.


He almost certainly wasn't. If you recall the story of the coin Peter found in the mouth of the fish, Jesus said 'give it to them to pay for your tax and mine', according to Leviticus, all Israelite men over the age of 20 had to pay the temple tax, the fact that only Jesus and Peter were assessed the tax, strongly implies that the other disciples were not yet old enough to be required to pay it,


Not mentioning the others doesn't mean they didn't also pay a tax as well.

Author:  MichaelD14 [ Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Saint Andrew

I chose Andrew as my confirmation name because he was the first disciple of Christ Jesus in his public ministry ( The Virgin Mary being the first disciple). He made a decision to follow him without much {theological} knowledge as did I as a youngster.

Author:  Doom [ Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Saint Andrew

anawim wrote:

Not mentioning the others doesn't mean they didn't also pay a tax as well.


But it STRONGLY implies it.

Moreover, ancient Christian tradition has always held that Peter was the oldest, which is why he was the only one who was married, among many other clues. Tradition holds that Peter was the oldest, probably around 40, and John was the youngest, probably younger than 20, which is why John lived the longest, and why, when Peter and John rushed to the tomb on Easter morning, John was the first one there, and he had to wait for Peter, who was much older and was probably huffing and puffing, before the could enter.

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Saint Andrew

I'm not sure what the source is for the idea that St. Andrew was the older brother. The old Catholic Encyclopedia and Wikipedia say nothing of it, and the original version of Butler's Lives is explicit in saying that Scripture does not tell us.

Author:  Peregrinator [ Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Saint Andrew

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I'm not sure what the source is for the idea that St. Andrew was the older brother. The old Catholic Encyclopedia and Wikipedia say nothing of it, and the original version of Butler's Lives is explicit in saying that Scripture does not tell us.

I wonder if it is an Orthodox tradition?

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/