Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Going to both Catholic & Orthodox churches, the Catholic way
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:36 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I said I'd do it again someday and this past Saturday I did. Went to an Orthodox service, Saturday Vespers, for the first time since 2011, since returning to the Catholic Church, and it was great. I know the parish and some there know me; the neighborhood's Byzantine Catholic priest and I used to man the kliros for this service. Partly circumstances kept me away as I'm usually out of town Saturdays. Anyway, been going to the Ukrainian Catholic Church one Sunday a month for the past year and a half (I'm at a Tridentine Mass most Sundays), and have a Russian Byzantine prayer life at home (except I don't really fast: Friday abstinence), and now there's this.

In this tradition, people are expected to go to Vespers before Communion so it makes sense for me to do this before communing with the Ukrainians in a given month. I don't receive often, like old-country Orthodox; I'm a very medieval Catholic that way.

The point: when you live someplace ethnic enough so there are both Byzantine Catholic and Orthodox churches, and there's a friendly Orthodox parish, you can live an entirely Orthodox life as a Catholic if you want to. While it's unfortunate that most Byzantine Catholic parishes don't have Saturday Vespers anymore, it can be an opportunity. Be ecumenical. Make some new friends. Why duplicate services other than the Liturgy? Double up and go to the Orthodox for Vespers, and besides, they're the ones from whom to learn how to do Byzantine Rite services.

Of course, receive sacraments only from the Catholic Church. That obeys both sides' rules. Breaking that would tell the Orthodox not to trust us.

I am a Catholic because only the church makes sense on divorce and remarriage and on contraception, and nobody can persuade me that my English, Spanish, and German heritages are pseudo-Christian frauds.

Pictured: my icon corner. Most of these are 100-200-year-old Russian icons.

Post subject: Re: Going to both Catholic & Orthodox churches, the Catholic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:38 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Lovely.

Good to see you still posting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:05 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
Fr Brian Harrison points out that:
"....many Orthodox theologians and bishops have now severely qualified or even surrendered any serious claim to infallibility on the part of their Church. Also, there is no longer any unity, any identifiable “official” position of Orthodoxy as such, in regard to unnatural methods of birth control. Some authorities continue to reprobate these practices, while others – probably the majority by now – condone them. Increasingly, Orthodox married couples are advised just to follow their own conscience on this issue.
"....in recent decades, with more extensive cultural and ecumenical contacts, and with an increasingly large and active Eastern diaspora in Western countries, Orthodoxy’s underlying vulnerability to the same liberal and secularizing tendencies in faith, morals and worship that have devastated the West is becoming more apparent. That virus – an inevitable result of breaking communion with the visible ‘Rock’ of truth and unity constituted by the See of Peter – is now inexorably prodding Orthodoxy toward doctrinal pluralism and disintegration."
See: http://www.rtforum.org/lt/lt133.html

Hardly “the Catholic Way”.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:43 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Thomist: I agree. I hope all of their bishops come back to the church together, they retain much autonomy, we leave their rite alone, and they snap to on divorce and remarriage and on contraception (on which they used to agree with us).