Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: correcting people
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:36 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
i was talking to my seventh day adventist friend last night and she mentioned "saved by faith no matter what" i wanted to correct her but i knew that she would just go on the defensive and not listen and i didnt think i could present the case well. i just kind of "yes'd" her (yes to her overall message not necessarily that one part.... but still)

Post subject: Re: correcting people
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:32 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
sdas are a special breed indeed.... give 'em an inch and the next thing you know they are taking about the book of Daniel and the number of years it will be before the ac comes ... and of course, you will always hear how wicked the Church is

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:01 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
There is no absolute necessity to correct people in error, but only when you have a reason to believe that the correction might be accepted or be productive. If you know before you say anything that everything you say is just going to be dismissed or ignored, you are certainly free to let it go and move on with your life. Ultimately, people are responsible for their own decisions and their own lives.

This is especially true if you know that you might lose your temper or would do an especially bad job of presenting arguments in favor of the truth, in either case, attempting to give correction will likely do more harm than good.

You are certainly under no obligation to start an argument with every person you encounter who expresses an heretical idea, least of all because if there was such an obligation, you would probably be arguing with nearly everyone you know 24 hours a day, and before long, you would become a pariah and everyone would start avoiding you, walking out the room the instant that you walk in.

On the other hand, if someone directly asks your opinion, or if you have reason to believe that the conversation might be productive, by all means, start the conversation, but don't think that you have an OBLIGATION to do so, because you don't.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:23 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:09 pm 
Master
Master

Church of Christ is another group that is hard to reason with....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:24 am 

Dive into scripture and the teachings of the Church and it will help you have these conversations. For quick 2-minute apologetics go to:

www.biblechristiansociety.com

Where is the only place in the bible that combines the words, "Faith alone"? Go read the book of James for the answer.

kpl2014 wrote:
thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:13 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I'd never heard of Bible Christian Society before and had to look it up to ensure its authenticity (especially since the link is posted in Cath 101). Sure enough it's got an endorsement from Steve Ray. http://www.catholicconvert.com/blog/200 ... dquarters/

If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. :salut:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:16 am 

Sorry about that. Yes, John M. at Bible Christian Society is a very good source for information. The 2-minute apologetics are a good read for old and new Catholics alike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:36 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
I'd never heard of Bible Christian Society before and had to look it up to ensure its authenticity (especially since the link is posted in Cath 101). Sure enough it's got an endorsement from Steve Ray. http://www.catholicconvert.com/blog/200 ... dquarters/

If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. :salut:

Biblechristiansociety.com is the website of John Martignoni. He is the Monday host of EWTN Radio's Open Line program. On his website, he offers many free mp3 downloads of his apologetic materials and he publishes an e-newsletter which you can receive by email or read at his website. He was, and I believe still is, the Director of the Office of the New Evangelization for the Diocese of Birmingham.

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2