Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Catholic Church - Spanish Inquisition - Alewives now wit
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:53 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
GKC wrote:
p.falk wrote:
Thanks for the info, DesertFalcon.

I remember reading in Vox Day's The Irrational Atheist something along the lines that more people died yearly riding Schwinn bicycles than in the Spanish Inquisition.

He implies around 2500, which comports with Kamen. I can't find my copy of Day, so I googled. He says children's bicycles, but doesn't give an exact number.

One extremely important statistic to keep in mind is the following:

The Inquisitions, all of them, all over Europe, executed an average of 3 people a year. By way of comparison, between 1939-1945 the Nazis in Germany killed an average of 3 people every 90 seconds.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:44 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Holy Godwin's Law, Batman! :shock:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:51 pm 
King of Cool

Mrs. Timmy wrote:

It is a totally appropriate response. In response to the claim that the Inquisitions committed 'mass murder' or were responsible for 'genocide' (claims which are frequently made) it is entirely appropriate to compare the Inquisitions to an actual, universally acknowledged act of mass murder and genocide.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:32 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
p.falk wrote:

I remember reading in Vox Day's The Irrational Atheist something along the lines that more people died yearly riding Schwinn bicycles than in the Spanish Inquisition.

He implies around 2500, which comports with Kamen. I can't find my copy of Day, so I googled. He says children's bicycles, but doesn't give an exact number.

The Inquisitions, all of them, all over Europe, executed an average of 3 people a year. By way of comparison, between 1939-1945 the Nazis in Germany killed an average of 3 people every 90 seconds.

Off the top of my head, I couldn't verify that. Though I read through Netanyahu's concrete block, both the first 2 editions of Kamen, and Peters, who addresses all Inquisitions. And I'm too tired and mentally foggy to go find out. But if Kamen, who is considered the responsible conservative on the Spanish Inquisition, got no higher than 2500 (I think I recall seeing him at 3000), over the period from the late 1400s through roughly 1575 (memory), you got about 30 a year for that period, after which the Inquisition in Spain was pretty much a dead letter. And it never was significant, elsewhere.

And the sea rises higher."

Last edited by GKC on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:33 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:

It is a totally appropriate response. In response to the claim that the Inquisitions committed 'mass murder' or were responsible for 'genocide' (claims which are frequently made) it is entirely appropriate to compare the Inquisitions to an actual, universally acknowledged act of mass murder and genocide.

Yeah, but I'd want to check the numbers a little more closely. Makes a more respectable rebuttal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:30 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Yea, think I'll pass on this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAOmTMCtGkI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:57 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Mmmmmmmmm ... beer. (I think I can say that now.)

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:37 pm 
King of Cool

GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
p.falk wrote:

Off the top of my head, I couldn't verify that. Though I read through Netanyahu's concrete block, both the first 2 editions of Kamen and Peters, who addresses all Inquisitions. And I'm too tired and mentally foggy to go find out. But if Kamen, who is considered the responsible conservative on the Spanish Inquisition, got no higher than 2500 (I think I recall seeing him at 3000), over the period from the late 1400s through roughly 1575 (memory), you got about 30 a year for that period, after which the Inquisition in Spain was pretty much a dead letter. And it never was significant, elsewhere.

I'm not just talking about the Spanish Inquisition, I'm talking all of the Inquisitions everywhere in Europe, from the founding of the first Inquisition in the 11th century to the abolition of the last Inquisition in Spain in the 19th, a period of more than 800 years. Since the Spanish Inquisition had a much higher death toll than all the others combined, the average over that entire 800 year period comes out to be about 3 a year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:07 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
p.falk wrote:

Off the top of my head, I couldn't verify that. Though I read through Netanyahu's concrete block, both the first 2 editions of Kamen and Peters, who addresses all Inquisitions. And I'm too tired and mentally foggy to go find out. But if Kamen, who is considered the responsible conservative on the Spanish Inquisition, got no higher than 2500 (I think I recall seeing him at 3000), over the period from the late 1400s through roughly 1575 (memory), you got about 30 a year for that period, after which the Inquisition in Spain was pretty much a dead letter. And it never was significant, elsewhere.

I'm not just talking about the Spanish Inquisition, I'm talking all of the Inquisitions everywhere in Europe, from the founding of the first Inquisition in the 11th century to the abolition of the last Inquisition in Spain in the 19th, a period of more than 800 years. Since the Spanish Inquisition had a much higher death toll than all the others combined, the average over that entire 800 year period comes out to be about 3 a year.

But the executions trailed off rapidly, after the later 1500s. There was a period of 200 years or so, when the deaths were concentrated. Misleading statistics.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2