Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 4   [ 74 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Hello, what are Catholics opinion on graven images?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:14 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Oh, no, not at all. They bring stuff to the Pawn Stars to sell. But I'd be willing to bet cash money that the owner and Rick don't make a deal. Rick will watch sellers turn around and walk away without batting an eye if the money ain't right.
Pawn Stars is known for 'accidentally' getting interesting or weird stuff from people 'they don't know.'

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten

http://twitter.com/katolikken

http://thecatholic.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:34 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Closet Catholic wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Oh, no, not at all. They bring stuff to the Pawn Stars to sell. But I'd be willing to bet cash money that the owner and Rick don't make a deal. Rick will watch sellers turn around and walk away without batting an eye if the money ain't right.
Pawn Stars is known for 'accidentally' getting interesting or weird stuff from people 'they don't know.'

And if you visit the store in Las Vegas, you will see none of that interesting stuff from the show that they supposedly 'bought' on sale or on display. Why, it's almost as if the entire 'transaction' is scripted and the item in question is simply loaned temporarily to the show without ever being either bought or sold for real.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:27 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
Closet Catholic wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:

And if you visit the store in Las Vegas, you will see none of that interesting stuff from the show that they supposedly 'bought' on sale or on display. Why, it's almost as if the entire 'transaction' is scripted and the item in question is simply loaned temporarily to the show without ever being either bought or sold for real.

Who cares? I don't watch the show much; less than I once did. But when I watch (as with American Pickers) it's for the stuff, not the people, rarely the stories. I like old stuff. I got a ton of it myself, that I like to look at. Got mirrors around, for the same reason. Love it when a book comes in and I try to outguess the expert who comes in to opine.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:33 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
GKC wrote:
Who cares?.

Apparently no one cares, the show still gets great ratings even though pretty much everyone knows it's fake.

However, I do admit to being annoyed by the obvious lie of claiming that it portrays 'reality'. They could just as easily do a show where they research interesting objects without the pretense that it is 'real', something like the PBS show 'History Detectives.'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:03 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
Who cares?.

Apparently no one cares, the show still gets great ratings even though pretty much everyone knows it's fake.

However, I do admit to being annoyed by the obvious lie of claiming that it portrays 'reality'. They could just as easily do a show where they research interesting objects without the pretense that it is 'real', something like the PBS show 'History Detectives.'

I used to like that show.

Meanwhile, I'll take what I can get.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:15 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
Who cares?.

The Auction Wars show is pretty bogus also.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:32 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Doom wrote:
Closet Catholic wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:

Drives my husband BATTY when point out that Pawn Stars is scripted (poorly) and that contrary to what American Pickers would have us believe, most people don't walk around wearing a body mic. Granted, there are the occasional American Pickers episode where they approach someone who is not mic'd and that lends the show a bit of realism...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:10 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
kage_ar wrote:
Drives my husband BATTY when point out that Pawn Stars is scripted (poorly) and that contrary to what American Pickers would have us believe, most people don't walk around wearing a body mic. Granted, there are the occasional American Pickers episode where they approach someone who is not mic'd and that lends the show a bit of realism...
American Pickers seem more genuine, and I don't think they gloss over the fact that they make appointments beforehand with people. Pawn Stars, on the other hand, script the show to make it appear (however poorly and amateurishly) that these 'unknown people' just happen to 'pop' into the store.

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten

http://twitter.com/katolikken

http://thecatholic.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:35 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
kage_ar wrote:
Doom wrote:
Closet Catholic wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:

It used to drive my wife batty when I would point out how scripted some of her favorite HGTV shows are. So I quit pointing it out. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:41 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Closet Catholic wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
American Pickers seem more genuine, and I don't think they gloss over the fact that they make appointments beforehand with people. Pawn Stars, on the other hand, script the show to make it appear (however poorly and amateurishly) that these 'unknown people' just happen to 'pop' into the store.

Yep, to both observations. I don't think every stop the Pickers make is prearranged with Danielle, but those that are are evident. As when they ask the folks about speaking to her. And when the second shot is a reverse perspective of the Pickers entering the house, or whatever, showing there's a cameraman already there. Not hard to discern. And me, I'm just looking at the rusty gold and thinking "I used to have one of those". Sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:06 pm 

Religion: Catholic
AustinS wrote:
I am trying to learn about the Roman Catholic Church in some of my free time and one of the things I've noticed is that there are a lot of what God
labels as "graven images".

Exodus 20:4 KJV
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

I am wondering how the RCC makes peace/gets around with this key commandment that God gave to Moses on Mt. Sinai?

Thank you
-Austin

Austins Does God, contradicts himself re: Graven Images? NEVER!

Austin have you not read
[color=#BF0000] Numbers 21: 8 And the Lord said to him: Make brazen serpent, and set it up for a sign: whosoever being struck shall look on it, shall live. 9Moses therefore made a brazen serpent, and set it up for a sign: which when they that were bitten looked upon, they were healed.[/color]

Austin, as it states in Numbers 21:8 above, God ordered Moses to erect a Bronze Serpent, that the Jewish people may look upon it and be healed from the poison.
God here seem to be more of a Catholic that a Protestant.

Austin, Images are not bad, it's only a sin when one starts to worship that image which then, it becomes a graven image. God is not agains't Art work!

Austin, I am wondering how YOU makes peace/gets around with this key commandment that God gave to Moses on Mt. Sinai? Austin I'm sure you have images in your home and wallet pictures of loved ones, even a tv set can be an Images, get the point? it only becomes a sin when you start to worship the images.

Like my presidents says:
"IT IS FAKE NEWS" It is fake news when you here people /non Catholics say that Catholics worship images. Non Catholics use this type of fake news to to fit their agenda, to put down the Catholic Church. I Have been a Catholic for many years and never worshipped an image in the Catholic Church, however, no matter how many times a Catholic may say they do not worship images, they are still not believed. because many non Catholics don't want to here the truth, because again it does not fit their agenda.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:16 pm 
Defender
Defender

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
Austin won't be able to reply. He was banned months ago. :fyi:

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:51 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
PanDeVida, please see my post in the “Do I Need to be Catholic?” thread regarding use of color in your posts.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:31 pm 

I've chatted with protestants about this...and they never can answer this simple question...If having photos on their wall of their children are ok, why wouldn't our Lord or Holy Queen be ok? it's a silly attack on the curch.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 4   [ 74 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4