Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 4   [ 74 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Hello, what are Catholics opinion on graven images?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:55 pm 

Religion: Non denominational
I am trying to learn about the Roman Catholic Church in some of my free time and one of the things I've noticed is that there are a lot of what God
labels as "graven images".

Exodus 20:4 KJV
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

I am wondering how the RCC makes peace/gets around with this key commandment that God gave to Moses on Mt. Sinai?

Thank you
-Austin

Post subject: Re: Hello, what are Catholics opinion on graven images?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:59 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
I have to be completely honest with you here, I'm not a big fan of the 'make sweeping accusations and try to disguise them as innocent questions' approach that you're taking here. Not a fan at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:28 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Hello Austin,

What are you reading to learn about our religion? The Catechism of the Catholic Church briefly treats graven images in nos. 2129 to 2132. You may also want to consult a good Scripture commentary such as Haydock's, which has a section on Exodus 20.

Note that a few chapters later, the Lord commands Moses to make graven (carved) images of angels on the ark of the covenant (Ex. 25:18), and in Numbers 21:8, he commands him to make a graven image of a serpent. It's not the making of an image that is sinful, but the making of idols (i.e. images men use to pay homage to false gods).

Last edited by AdAltareDei on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:29 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I'm assuming Exodus 35-38 is missing from your Bible.

Also, Catholics do not worship images.

And I agree with Doom. You're giving every appearance of being extremely disingenuous.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:37 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
wait... is it lent already? :shock: :wave

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:44 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
RIght?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:51 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

:yes: :thumbsup:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:59 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
AustinS wrote:
I am trying to learn about the Roman Catholic Church in some of my free time and one of the things I've noticed is that there are a lot of what God labels as "graven images"...

See -- The Council of Trent, The Twenty-Fifth Session: ON THE INVOCATION, VENERATION, AND RELICS, OF SAlNTS, AND ON SACRED IMAGES, HERE.

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:20 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
I have to be completely honest with you here, I'm not a big fan of the 'make sweeping accusations and try to disguise them as innocent questions' approach that you're taking here. Not a fan at all.

I think it's sort of cute, in a naive and unsophisticated manner.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:48 am 
Master
Master

We're fans of statues so long as you don't worship them as if they're actual gods, like they did in the Old Testament.

Golden Calves= No.
Cherubim in Solomon's Temple= Love it!

We have many statues, but no Graven Images as described in Exodus, that would be idolatry.

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:53 am 
Defender
Defender

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I'm assuming Exodus 35-38 is missing from your Bible.

Also, Catholics do not worship images.

And I agree with Doom. You're giving every appearance of being extremely disingenuous.

I agree with Doom and Obi-Wan.

There is no "getting around" or "making peace" here. There is only reading the entirety of the book of Exodus IN CONTEXT, which shows that the prohibition against images in Exodus 20:4 is not absolute. Otherwise, God contradicts Himself, which we know is not possible.

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:02 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Speed Racer wrote:
There is no "getting around" or "making peace" here. There is only reading the entirety of the book of Exodus IN CONTEXT, which shows that the prohibition against images in Exodus 20:4 is not absolute. Otherwise, God contradicts Himself, which we know is not possible.

In fact, I've encountered many fundamentalist atheists, the kind who construct moronic lists of Bible 'contradictions' who make exactly that claim, that God contradicted himself in forbidding 'graven images' and then a few chapters later, commanding the construction of 'graven images.'

I like to use the term 'fundamentalist atheist', because it makes the point that there is a kind of parallel between the radical fundamentalist and the hardcore militant atheist, they both use the same methods to interpret the Bible, wrenching verses out of context, exaggerating at one point while suppressing at another point, using extreme 'either/or' reasoning etc. They just use these methods for opposite ends. Many militant atheists are former fundamentalists, fundamentalists who have not shed their ways at all, but merely adopted the same methods for the opposite goal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:45 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
You don't need the whole book of Exodus to demonstrate that the prohibition against graven images wasn't absolute, and for methodological reasons I won't bore y'all with, I think it's a bad idea to use the whole book to make the claim. All you need is Exodus 20. Specifically, it's easy to note that the first few commands relate directly to one's relationship with God. We don't have another other God's before Him. We don't make graven images. We don't receive His name in vain. It's clear enough, at least to me, that the prohibition against graven images is directly related to how we worship God. My own theology on this point is that the reason we aren't to do so is that any such image draws us away from God's true nature, and that the closest real image you can get is the one God Himself created in humanity. So don't make God an angel or bird or beast or whatever. Just worship Him alone as He actually is (to the best of your ability to do so, of course, and rely on God's grace to commence, carry, and complete that little project).

Beyond that you can then point out the inconsistency of such misinterpreters of Scripture. If they are going to claim that Exod 20:4 is truly absolute, ask them about the nicknacks they have on their shelf. Ask them about their cross necklace. Ask them about any statute or any figurine or any picture of absolutely anything in their homes. Do they have a game of Monopoly? Then they have "graven images" of things "on the earth" in direct contradiction do their reading of the text. It's a silly position to take.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:58 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
I'm quite fond of my new graven image - Papa Smurf :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:02 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

theJack wrote:
You don't need the whole book of Exodus to demonstrate that the prohibition against graven images wasn't absolute, and for methodological reasons I won't bore y'all with, I think it's a bad idea to use the whole book to make the claim. All you need is Exodus 20. Specifically, it's easy to note that the first few commands relate directly to one's relationship with God. We don't have another other God's before Him. We don't make graven images. We don't receive His name in vain. It's clear enough, at least to me, that the prohibition against graven images is directly related to how we worship God. My own theology on this point is that the reason we aren't to do so is that any such image draws us away from God's true nature, and that the closest real image you can get is the one God Himself created in humanity. So don't make God an angel or bird or beast or whatever. Just worship Him alone as He actually is (to the best of your ability to do so, of course, and rely on God's grace to commence, carry, and complete that little project).

Beyond that you can then point out the inconsistency of such misinterpreters of Scripture. If they are going to claim that Exod 20:4 is truly absolute, ask them about the nicknacks they have on their shelf. Ask them about their cross necklace. Ask them about any statute or any figurine or any picture of absolutely anything in their homes. Do they have a game of Monopoly? Then they have "graven images" of things "on the earth" in direct contradiction do their reading of the text. It's a silly position to take.

Long ago, I asked some of the dears those sort of questions. The rest is silence.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:04 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

kage_ar wrote:

I gave my daughter a graven image (loosely construed) of Bubbles, from the Power Puff Girls.

I got a lot of graven images (more technically defined) of the Smurfs, in the attic. And some Green Army men.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:07 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I challenge AustinS to approach a Muslim with the same question he has asked us Catholics. What I'd give to witness that.... ::):

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:07 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
When I pass by the gorgeous nativity scenes outside of non-Catholic churches... and I see the shepherds and angels I think it is really cool that their statues are worshipping other statues!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:11 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:15 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

kage_ar wrote:

:heart: :heart: :heart: :cloud9:

De Maria numquam satis

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 4   [ 74 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next