Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 32 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:41 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:21 pm
Posts: 14052
Location: Joyfully Caught in the Net
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Should the Rosary be prayed during Eucharistic adoration? You would think I would know by now, or that what I should know, would be an easy answer to find but alas, it is not. What I am really interested in is what would the proper answer have been regarding standard Catholic practice, say in 1890? I've read pro and con, with historic quotations in support of those opposite opinions but was there an accepted historic standard?

_________________
"Oh, night that guided me, Oh, night more lovely than the dawn, Oh, night that joined Beloved with lover, Lover transformed in the Beloved!" St. John of the Cross


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:51 pm 
Offline
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:54 am
Posts: 39575
Location: Ithilien
Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Of course the Rosary should be prayed during Adoration. Why would it not be?

_________________
Formerly Bagheera

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:07 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:21 pm
Posts: 14052
Location: Joyfully Caught in the Net
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Peregrinator wrote:
Of course the Rosary should be prayed during Adoration. Why would it not be?


Well, although of fairly recent vintage, an instruction releleased by the Congregation for Divine Worship said this...

https://adoremus.org/2009/10/15/the-rosary-and-eucharistic-adoration-2/

Concerning praying the Rosary during eucharistic adoration, the 1968 reply said,

"Even the Rosary must be classified as a Marian prayer, not as addressed to Christ. Nor is the prescribed meditation on the mysteries of Christ during the saying of the Hail Mary a counter argument. For the essential part of the Rosary consists in the repeated prayer addressed to the Blessed Virgin."-Eucharisticum Mysterium.

The article goes on to say...

"On the basis of this 1968 reply from the Congregation, which suggested “re-evaluation” of the Rosary itself, praying the Rosary during adoration of the Blessed Sacrament was considered inappropriate, was discouraged, and sometimes directly forbidden."

It's a good article but it doesn't really address my question of what was considered appropriate historically, up to 1967-68.

_________________
"Oh, night that guided me, Oh, night more lovely than the dawn, Oh, night that joined Beloved with lover, Lover transformed in the Beloved!" St. John of the Cross


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:53 pm 
Offline
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:54 am
Posts: 39575
Location: Ithilien
Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Up to that point, at least, (as well as afterwards to all reasonable folk) the Rosary was an integral part of a Holy Hour before the Blessed Sacrament. There is a popular booklet, Holy Hour of Reparation, that went through a number of editions.

Also, things have changed somewhat since 1968, thanks be to God:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur335.htm

_________________
Formerly Bagheera

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:04 pm 
Offline
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:26 am
Posts: 100092
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
i so love that little booklet... it was my go to devotion when i began my first Holy Hour commitment :cloud9:

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:05 pm 
Offline
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:26 am
Posts: 100092
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
in fact...here it is online

http://catholictradition.org/Two-Hearts/holy-hour.htm

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:04 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:21 pm
Posts: 14052
Location: Joyfully Caught in the Net
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Peregrinator wrote:
Up to that point, at least, (as well as afterwards to all reasonable folk) the Rosary was an integral part of a Holy Hour before the Blessed Sacrament. There is a popular booklet, Holy Hour of Reparation, that went through a number of editions.

Also, things have changed somewhat since 1968, thanks be to God:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur335.htm


Thanks to both you and faithfulservant. It would seem that the Sorrowful Mysteries especially, would be appropriate. I had read the link info I provided to indicate that praying the Rosary had not been common, even discouraged, at Eucharistic adoration until about 1968. That the practice is modern, but it seems not.

I wonder why the Congregation for Divine Worship, which should really know, would differ so sharply? :scratch:

_________________
"Oh, night that guided me, Oh, night more lovely than the dawn, Oh, night that joined Beloved with lover, Lover transformed in the Beloved!" St. John of the Cross


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:34 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 77553
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The CDW in the immediate post Vatican II era was under the control of "progressives" who, as the Adoremus article hints, had an absolute hatred of many popular devotions.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:59 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:21 pm
Posts: 14052
Location: Joyfully Caught in the Net
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The CDW in the immediate post Vatican II era was under the control of "progressives" who, as the Adoremus article hints, had an absolute hatred of many popular devotions.

That would sadly, explain it.

_________________
"Oh, night that guided me, Oh, night more lovely than the dawn, Oh, night that joined Beloved with lover, Lover transformed in the Beloved!" St. John of the Cross


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:20 pm 
Offline
Eminent
Eminent
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:59 am
Posts: 15874
Religion: Католик
Vatican II did not get rid of Marian devotion.

Read Marialis Cultus by Pope Paul VI, in particular:

http://w2.vatican.va/content/paul-vi/en ... ultus.html

_________________
TRÁI TIM MẸ SẼ THẮNG.

Vietnamese - Mother's Heart Will Conquer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:08 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:21 pm
Posts: 14052
Location: Joyfully Caught in the Net
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
I just wasn't sure which came first but given the posts made, it does make sense in it's own way, that the practice would have fallen into disfavor by the those running things in the post VII Church world.

_________________
"Oh, night that guided me, Oh, night more lovely than the dawn, Oh, night that joined Beloved with lover, Lover transformed in the Beloved!" St. John of the Cross


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:12 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:56 pm
Posts: 3
Religion: Catholic
I pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet at adoration. I have an app on my phone that I use. I find some peace in this crazy world at adoration.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:33 am 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:15 am
Posts: 222
Location: Off in the hills
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: KoC, Legion of Mary
Desertfalcon wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:
Of course the Rosary should be prayed during Adoration. Why would it not be?


Well, although of fairly recent vintage, an instruction releleased by the Congregation for Divine Worship said this...

https://adoremus.org/2009/10/15/the-rosary-and-eucharistic-adoration-2/

Concerning praying the Rosary during eucharistic adoration, the 1968 reply said,

"Even the Rosary must be classified as a Marian prayer, not as addressed to Christ. Nor is the prescribed meditation on the mysteries of Christ during the saying of the Hail Mary a counter argument. For the essential part of the Rosary consists in the repeated prayer addressed to the Blessed Virgin."-Eucharisticum Mysterium.

The article goes on to say...

"On the basis of this 1968 reply from the Congregation, which suggested “re-evaluation” of the Rosary itself, praying the Rosary during adoration of the Blessed Sacrament was considered inappropriate, was discouraged, and sometimes directly forbidden."

It's a good article but it doesn't really address my question of what was considered appropriate historically, up to 1967-68.


So much hatred of the Rosary back then.. Thank God it's different now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:43 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:51 pm
Posts: 18
Religion: Catholic
This is what St. Louis De Montfort calls scrupulous devotion to Mary.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:01 pm 
Offline
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:20 pm
Posts: 32400
Location: The countertop
Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Dee wrote:
This is what St. Louis De Montfort calls scrupulous devotion to Mary.

It sounds like this post is an answer to the OP's question. If so, can you give a quotation from St. Louis that calls praying the Rosary during adoration scrupulous devotion to Our Lady? That sounds extremely implausible to me.

_________________
Image
The Medal of St. Benedict

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:16 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:51 pm
Posts: 18
Religion: Catholic
gherkin wrote:
Dee wrote:
This is what St. Louis De Montfort calls scrupulous devotion to Mary.

It sounds like this post is an answer to the OP's question. If so, can you give a quotation from St. Louis that calls praying the Rosary during adoration scrupulous devotion to Our Lady? That sounds extremely implausible to me.


Let me rephrase...

This is a good example of what St. Louis calls scrupulous devotion to Mary, that is, omitting love and devotion to Her because the person fears that this love and devotion to Mary will detract from the person's devotion and love for Jesus Christ.

You are right that my statement is extremely implausibly only insofar as it is extremely plausible that St. Louis would not make an unending list of superfluous examples of how scrupulous devotion to Mary might be performed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:24 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 77553
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I strongly disagree that praying the Rosary in Adoration is misplaced, and I would be shocked if St. Louis thought otherwise.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Last edited by Obi-Wan Kenobi on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:09 am 
Offline
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:20 pm
Posts: 32400
Location: The countertop
Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Dee wrote:
gherkin wrote:
Dee wrote:
This is what St. Louis De Montfort calls scrupulous devotion to Mary.

It sounds like this post is an answer to the OP's question. If so, can you give a quotation from St. Louis that calls praying the Rosary during adoration scrupulous devotion to Our Lady? That sounds extremely implausible to me.


Let me rephrase...

This is a good example of what St. Louis calls scrupulous devotion to Mary, that is, omitting love and devotion to Her because the person fears that this love and devotion to Mary will detract from the person's devotion and love for Jesus Christ.

I don't understand this sentence. I assume you put it backwards? :scratch:

Anyway, if I do understand your point correctly, it sounds like you are assuming that the only motivation one could have for praying the Rosary at adoration is a fear that paying attention to Our Lord would somehow detract from one's attention to Our Lady (or whatever, specifically, you are taking St. Louis's doctrine to be). This is obviously not a defensible supposition. The very most you could possibly get away with here is that it is possible for a person to pray the Rosary at adoration due to scrupulous devotion. But virtually anything is possible, so that's hardly a poor reflection on praying the Rosary at adoration as such.

_________________
Image
The Medal of St. Benedict

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:32 pm 
Offline
King of Cool

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 75054
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Givi46 wrote:

So much hatred of the Rosary back then... Thank God it's different now.


Is it different? I'm not so sure about that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rosary at Adoration?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:02 pm 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:47 am
Posts: 6449
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
LeroyJethroGibbs wrote:
I pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet at adoration. I have an app on my phone that I use. I find some peace in this crazy world at adoration.


I like to silently pray the Scriptural Rosary at adoration; the Mercy Chaplet is wonderful as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 32 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


Jump to: