All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: St Augustine and the seashell
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:09 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
http://www.traditioninaction.org/religi ... Shell.html

Is this true?

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

Post subject: Re: St Augustine and the seashell
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:16 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
He may have used that as an illustration/parable somewhere in his writings, but I seriously doubt that it is something that ever actually happened.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:20 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It's not in his writings and not attributed to him until several centuries later.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:38 am 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
Just a legend:

https://www.quora.com/Where-is-this-sto ... stine-from

But he did write a book on the Trinity: De Trinitate.

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1301.htm

Vietnamese - Mother's Heart Will Conquer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:55 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

"Lomasa said, 'O son of Bharata, having said this, Sakra went away, and Yavakri of immeasurable energy, once more directed his attention to asceticism. O king, we have heard that carrying on severe austerities he again greatly agitated Indra. And the God Indra, slayer of Vala, again came unto that great sage, who was engaged in austere penances; and forbade him, saying, Thou art striving with the object that Vedic lore may be manifest unto thee as well as unto thy father; but thy exertions can never be successful, nor is this act of thine well-advised.' Yavakri said, 'O lord of the celestials, if thou wilt not do for me what I want, I shall, observing stricter vows, practise still severer penances. O lord of celestials! know that if thou do not fulfil all my desires, I shall then cut off my limbs and offer them as a sacrifice into a blazing fire.'

"Lomasa said, 'Knowing the determination of that high-souled sage, the sagacious Indra reflected and hit upon some expedient to dissuade him. Then Indra assumed the guise of an ascetic Brahmana, hundreds of years old, and infirm, and suffering from consumption. And he fell to throwing up a dam with sands, at that spot of the Bhagirathi to which Yavakri used to descend for performing ablutions. Because Yavakri, chief of the Brahmanas, paid no heed to Indra's words, the latter began to fill the Ganga with sands. And without cessation, he threw handfuls of sand into the Bhagirathi, and began to construct the dam attracting thenotice of the sage. And when that bull among the sages, Yavakri, saw Indra thus earnestly engaged in constructing the dam, he broke into laughter, and said the following words, 'What art thou engaged in, O Brahmana, and what is thy object? Why dost thou, for nothing, make this mighty endeavour?' Indra said, 'I am trying, O my son, to dam the Ganga so that there may be a commodious passage. People experience considerable difficulty in crossing and recrossing (the river) by boat.' Yavakri said, 'O thou of ascetic wealth, thou canst not dam up this mighty current. O Brahmana, desist from, what is impracticable, and take up something that is practicable.' Indra said, 'O sage, I have imposed on myself this heavy task, even as, for obtaining a knowledge of the Vedas, thou hast begun these penances, which can never be fruitful.' Yavakri said, 'If, O chief of the celestials, those efforts of mine be fruitless, even as those of thy own, then, O lord of heavenly hosts, be thou pleased to do for me what is practicable. Vouchsafe unto me boons whereby I may excel other men.'

"Lomasa said 'Then Indra granted boons, as was prayed for by the mighty ascetic, Indra said, 'As thou desirest, the Vedas will be manifest unto thee, yea--even unto thy father. And all thy other desires will also be fulfilled. Return home, O Yavakri.'

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m03/m03135.htm
_Mahabharatha, Indian epic

ETA Bhagirathi/Ganga is a river.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

Last edited by Jack3 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:57 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
The Hindus wrote in excellent King James English!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:49 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Hindu. Singular. :fyi:

Seriously, the original Mahabharatha is in Sanskrit. I gave an English translation I found online. Is probably by some Ganguly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:24 am 
Adept
Adept

Jack3 wrote:
Is probably by some Ganguly.

I don't know. Bloods and Crips don't strike me as the translating type, much less the type to translate into an Authorized standard. :-/

:-P :whoops

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:29 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

theJack wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Is probably by some Ganguly.

I don't know. Bloods and Crips don't strike me as the translating type, much less the type to translate into an Authorized standard. :-/

:-P :whoops

:scratch:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:20 pm 
Adept
Adept

They're two old gangs here in the States, particularly in Los Angeles. I just can't help but run with a bad pun when I see a chance. As a wise man once said, "I can resist anything except temptation." :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:32 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crips
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloods

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:11 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

:D