Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Transfiguration
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:34 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Two-Faced
was praying the Luminous Mysteries tonight and when I came upon the 4th mystery of the Transfiguration, I thought about how I really didn't know what to meditate on. trying to recall scripture, all my feeble mind could remember was something along the lines of "Jesus goes on mountain, meets Moses and Elijah. Jesus glows." When trying to draw a deeper meaning from my memory, the only thing I could come up with is the simple idea of "Jesus is special." which any 7-year old first communicant could regurgitate.

I apologize in advance if my post is scandalizing or flippant, but my point is that I am not entirely sure of what the Transfiguration really means, beyond what I have already said. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

‘Humility.’”

~ St. Anthony the Great

Post subject: Re: The Transfiguration
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:12 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

You might want to read:

Mt 17:1-8
Mk 9:2-8
Lk 9:28-36

If you still keep forgetting, come and climb Mount Tabor in the Holy Land like I did.

Vietnamese - Mother's Heart Will Conquer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:58 pm 
Highness
Highness

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
http://dhspriory.org/thomas/CAMatthew.htm#17

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:03 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
Constable Toad wrote:
was praying the Luminous Mysteries tonight and when I came upon the 4th mystery of the Transfiguration, I thought about how I really didn't know what to meditate on. trying to recall scripture, all my feeble mind could remember was something along the lines of "Jesus goes on mountain, meets Moses and Elijah. Jesus glows." When trying to draw a deeper meaning from my memory, the only thing I could come up with is the simple idea of "Jesus is special." which any 7-year old first communicant could regurgitate.

I apologize in advance if my post is scandalizing or flippant, but my point is that I am not entirely sure of what the Transfiguration really means, beyond what I have already said. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What happened, as far as I see it, was that the countenance of Christ was transfigured or changed, which is the primary meaning of the Greek word, used in Matthew 17:2 and Mark 9:2, μεταμορφόω (meramorphoō). That is what happened. But the relevance was that this revealed to Peter, James, and John who he really is. It revealed his glory. Matthew (17:1-8), Mark (9:2-8), and Luke (9:28-36) all have an account of this, but I also do think that John referenced it more subtly, explaining what the purpose was, in John 1:14b: «And we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father.»

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten

http://twitter.com/katolikken

http://thecatholic.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:05 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
When I meditate on the Transfiguration, I think about how in that moment Moses and Elijah appeared with Christ. That Peter, James and John knew who they were! No introductions were recorded, and it is not as if Peter would recognize Elijah from his facebook photo :) One of the things I can wonder about for hours... that recognition.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:36 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
kage_ar wrote:
When I meditate on the Transfiguration, I think about how in that moment Moses and Elijah appeared with Christ. That Peter, James and John knew who they were! No introductions were recorded, and it is not as if Peter would recognize Elijah from his facebook photo :) One of the things I can wonder about for hours... that recognition.

Perhaps they were wearing name tags...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:56 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

"Peter said to Jesus, 'Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.'”

I once heard a priest homilize that this passage captured the first bishop's-building-appeal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:41 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
St. Irenaeus of Lyons wrote:
"Peter said to Jesus, 'Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.'”

I once heard a priest homilize that this passage captured the first bishop's-building-appeal.

:laughhard :laughhard :laughhard

I loved the time a priest homilized that Mary's instruction to the servers during the Wedding at Cana was her "Jewish Mother moment."

Jesus: “Woman, how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come.”

Mary (looking past Jesus to the server behind Him): "Just do what He says, okay?" - The priest even faked a J-A-P accent when he said it!

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:07 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

:D
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
St. Irenaeus of Lyons wrote:

:laughhard :laughhard :laughhard

I loved the time a priest homilized that Mary's instruction to the servers during the Wedding at Cana was her "Jewish Mother moment."

Jesus: “Woman, how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come.”

Mary (looking past Jesus to the server behind Him): "Just do what He says, okay?" - The priest even faked a J-A-P accent when he said it!

:D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:08 am 
Master
Master

Keep in mind that our own selves are in their fullness in Christ. So when Peter saw Christ transfigured he was also looking at an ideal example of his own divinization(SP?)

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:18 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Nathan wrote:
Keep in mind that our own selves are in their fullness in Christ. So when Peter saw Christ transfigured he was also looking at an ideal example of his own divinization(SP?)

Yes, you spelled it correctly! :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:51 pm 

Religion: Christian
Christ underwent a dramatic change in appearance in order that the disciples could behold Him in His glory.