Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Is this Doctrine?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:01 pm 

Religion: Catholic recent revert
I am understanding the explanations which indicate that Mary and Joseph always intended to have a marriage which was celibate. I do have a concern beyond that.
Having someone add specific dialogue which is not in scripture bothers me. I do not believe you can do that.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Laus Deo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:53 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Remember, we Catholics do not hold the Protestant belief of "Sola Scriptura" - that we can only believe what is in Scripture. We hold Sacred Official Tradition and may also embrace pious traditions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:10 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
I think Gerri's problem is not the teaching, but the putting of words into the mouths of people in Scripture.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:39 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
This will shed some light on this subject:

1. The intention to remain a virgin, apparent in Mary's words at the moment of the Annunciation, has traditionally been considered the beginning and the inspiration of Christian virginity in the Church.

St Augustine does not see in this resolution the fulfilment of a divine precept, but a vow freely taken. In this way it was possible to present Mary as an example to "holy virgins" throughout the Church's history. Mary "dedicated her virginity to God when she did not yet know whom she would conceive, so that the imitation of heavenly life in the earthly, mortal body would come about through a vow, not a precept, through a choice of love and not through the need to serve" (De Sancta Virg., IV, PL 40:398).

The Angel does not ask Mary to remain a virgin; it is Mary who freely reveals her intention of virginity.
Neither the Gospels nor any other New Testament writings tell us when Mary made the decision to remain a virgin. However it is clearly apparent from her question to the angel at the time of the Annunciation that she had come to a very firm decision. Mary does not hesitate to express her desire to preserve her virginity even in view of the proposed motherhood, showing that her intention had matured over a long period.

Pope John Paul II
MARY’S CHOICE INSPIRES CONSECRATED VIRGINITY
http://www.ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/jp2bvm29.htm

"The words of the Bible and of the Church fathers rang in my ears, those sharp condemnations of shepherds who are like mute dogs; in order to avoid conflicts, they let the poison spread. Peace is not the first civic duty, and a bishop whose only concern is not to have any problems and to gloss over as many conflicts as possible is an image I find repulsive."

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2